Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:40 AM

576 posts, read 994,485 times

Advertisements

Is there anybody here that works for Home Depot?

Without going into a long dissertation of the why's, suffice it to say, daughter is set to marry a guy who we question his work ethic (they are both very young). Hasn't kept a job, any job, for more tha 6 mos.

Works for H Depot. The guy takes off more time, to go do funtime trips, more than one would think would be allowed.

Has only been with them for about 4 mos., and no, not management, just a grunt worker.

Explanation is that, you work thus and so and you get thus and so time off "with pay".

Just this month, the guy has been off for one trip which was 12 days. And supposedly with pay. And again, for another trip, for 5 days, and with pay. Supposedly. And that's this month alone.

Anybody work for Home Depot?

If they have this kind of *leave with pay* policy. I need to go apply there. Like, NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
My son works for Home Depot and has for a few years. He has never been able to take off like that. From my understanding, Home Depot has a point system they use for attendance, etc.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the response PG.

Hopefully some others *in the know* will answer. I know this has to be too good to be true. Yes, it would make sense that some companies, per se, if you are putting in some serious overtime (not the case at all here), might would comp you some time off.

Just doesn't compute. The only reason I even question it is because there's been a question as to *work ethic* with this individual, and initiative, period. The jumping from job to job to job, a problem. As I said, hasn't kept a single place of employment for more than any one 6 month period of time.

And this is a young person, not formally educated. This is entry-level employment with H Depot. Yet there are, at least 17 days this month, which have been supposedly with pay, that he's been off, to go on vacations. And other days, that he's been in town, but hasn't been booked to work.

Just kinda trying to compute all this myself. As I'm expected to pay for a wedding for my daughter, and have questions, all along have had questions, as to this work ethic issue. Just isn't computing with me. But I don't work for H Depot, never have. So I wouldn't know how they do things.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Thanks for the response PG.

Hopefully some others *in the know* will answer. I know this has to be too good to be true. Yes, it would make sense that some companies, per se, if you are putting in some serious overtime (not the case at all here), might would comp you some time off.

Just doesn't compute. The only reason I even question it is because there's been a question as to *work ethic* with this individual, and initiative, period. The jumping from job to job to job, a problem. As I said, hasn't kept a single place of employment for more than any one 6 month period of time.

And this is a young person, not formally educated. This is entry-level employment with H Depot. Yet there are, at least 17 days this month, which have been supposedly with pay, that he's been off, to go on vacations. And other days, that he's been in town, but hasn't been booked to work.

Just kinda trying to compute all this myself. As I'm expected to pay for a wedding for my daughter, and have questions, all along have had questions, as to this work ethic issue. Just isn't computing with me. But I don't work for H Depot, never have. So I wouldn't know how they do things.
I will talk to my son today and see what he says. He is only 24 and started out working at Lowe's as his first job and then went to Home Depot. I know Lowe's was a little more flexible than Home Depot. I will let you know what what he says.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM

I just talked to my son. He says that you receive sick time after three months and it is only four hours a month. You do not get any vacation time until after one year and you get one week. After two years, two weeks. Five years, three weeks. He said if you call in sick you get one point and if you are a no show you get five points. Ten points and you're gone.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Thanks again PG. Very informative, and ....... somewhat disturbing.

Not the explanation I'd received on the topic. Dh has questioned the young lad on all this time off that one supposedly receives. The explanation was a point system one earns, that entitles one to all this time off, "with pay". Explanation here had something or other to do with points earned, by actual work days completed/hours, or something along that order.

Thought *wow, that's wonderful, we all need to work there*.

What you are explaining, doesn't jive with what I've heard here on the topic.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Thanks again PG. Very informative, and ....... somewhat disturbing.

Not the explanation I'd received on the topic. Dh has questioned the young lad on all this time off that one supposedly receives. The explanation was a point system one earns, that entitles one to all this time off, "with pay". Explanation here had something or other to do with points earned, by actual work days completed/hours, or something along that order.

Thought *wow, that's wonderful, we all need to work there*.

What you are explaining, doesn't jive with what I've heard here on the topic.
Yeah, my son even said it didn't sound right to him.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
And it bothers you how?

Instead of focusing on how much he works or don't works, does he meet all his financial needs? If not than I can understand your distress at the situation, but if he does then I say all the power to him.

I find it strange how so many people here think life revolves around work and the pursuit of material things, as if that is some measure of success in life.

Is he mean to your daughter? Treat her bad? Those are things you should be looking at. A guy could make millions and still treat your daughter like crap.

The looks and questions I get when people find out I took a 2 year vacation after the military, many find it baffleing and can't comprehend the fact that I did not have a place to live or a job for 2 years, just wondered around the world. But then they get even more baffled when they ask how I could afford it and I simply say "I saved up for it". Imagine, saving money!

Even now I worked for a year and about to quit and not work probably for another 2 years, just go to college, why? Just because I feel like it. If I have the urge to work or need money then I will get a job, if not, then I will either be in school or on vacation.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 AM

I think, however, an important thing to look at here is if he is lying. And if he is, will he lie about other things?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Good for you K. I think that's wonderful. Wish we could all have that wonderful, adventurous spirit. And especially when one is young and can do so.

As I explained before, my issue is a lack of work ethic, lack of initiative, as it pertains to marriage/family and responsibilities thereof, that typically result.

Were this an individual not talking of marriage/family, ............ and a free spirit wishing to travel the world, and hey - even if my daughter were of the same mindset, ........ go for it. What better time than when you are young and not encumbered with life's responsibilities.

But the situation here is my daughter, has applied herself to higher learning, is plying her trade and trying to better herself in the world. All while fiance' flops from vacation to vacation, and the concern here, as the parent of the hard working daughter, is that she may not be worldy enough to see what she is signing on for here. Obviously, she is an adult (barely) and can make her own decisions, and will, in the end, do just that.

But as the parent who watches this, I have the right to be concerned.

Have no idea if he meets his financial obligations. He lives at home with mom and dad. Don't know his finances.

He is good to my daughter, cares very much for her, that is obvious. And yes, she could end up with someone who is a millionaire but tx's her poorly. I realize that. She could also end up with someone with a work ethic similar to her own, and maybe have half a chance in this big bad world too. Or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment