Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:17 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
What if the dress code called for something you did not agree with?
Then you don't take the job, it's not that difficult to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I've even seen the head wear in hospitals...and frankly, it's not hygenic. It is as dirty as wearing long sleeves around patients.
Would you want someone with long hair leaning over you? I am sure they wash their hair, but see the connection?
How stupid it is, that anyone would ever think it's about discrimination, when it's about cleanliness...how narcissistic and self centered.
I wear a scarf and work with patients. My scarf is tucked inside my uniform top. It never touches patients. I clean it like I clean my clothes. Why would a head scarf be less clean than any other clothing? What makes it not hygienic? I see some people with smelly, dirty hair working with people. Their hair doesn't touch people but according to your theory these people shouldn't wear their hair because it is dirty and will contaminate patients in a hospital. Even if my scarf was dirty, it doesn't touch patients. Hospital workers uniforms touch patient's all the time. What guarantee is there that their uniforms are clean?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I love it, everybody in America has all kinds of *rights* they want to exercise at every opportunity. The right to a job, the right to a home, the right to wear whatever kind of piercing/getup/tattoo, and they expect all of us to do homage to their individuality.

Not.

These people can file lawsuits till the cows come home. That doesn't mean they have a case worth hearing or a chance of winning.

In this world if you want to make a living anywhere you have to kowtow to management and present a persona that says "I'm here to do business and make you money". That's all there is. Business is not about individual righteousness, it's about getting things done and making money for the company--on the company's terms.

If you don't like it find another company. If you can't find a company that fits your individuality, create your own company. Don't go whining to the legal system about how your rights have been violated and life isn't fair.
Do they serve double bacon burgers?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I've even seen the head wear in hospitals...and frankly, it's not hygenic. It is as dirty as wearing long sleeves around patients.
Would you want someone with long hair leaning over you? I am sure they wash their hair, but see the connection?
How stupid it is, that anyone would ever think it's about discrimination, when it's about cleanliness...how narcissistic and self centered.
I'd rather have someone with a hijab leaning over me than someone with dirty hair - hijab is as good as a hairnet and as clean as any other clothing. What's next, bald naked nurses?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I love it, everybody in America has all kinds of *rights* they want to exercise at every opportunity. The right to a job, the right to a home, the right to wear whatever kind of piercing/getup/tattoo, and they expect all of us to do homage to their individuality.

Not.

These people can file lawsuits till the cows come home. That doesn't mean they have a case worth hearing or a chance of winning.

In this world if you want to make a living anywhere you have to kowtow to management and present a persona that says "I'm here to do business and make you money". That's all there is. Business is not about individual righteousness, it's about getting things done and making money for the company--on the company's terms.

If you don't like it find another company. If you can't find a company that fits your individuality, create your own company. Don't go whining to the legal system about how your rights have been violated and life isn't fair.
What a load of bull.

If that's part of their religion, then McDonald's should respect their rights. That's discrimination.

And they should know better. They could have said that they chose to go with another candidate to avoid a lawsuit.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
It's a bit ironic these women have almost no rights in the Middle East and they are suing over a head scarf wow.
In many cases, these women are American. You wouldn't have much rights in the middle east either. But you'd probably sue if you felt your rights in the US were compromised.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 AM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
well... so what? are these people owed a job by McDonalds regardless of what they wear? There are dress codes everywhere. Why should they be able to refuse an employer's dress code then have their complaints upheld when the employer rejects them for it? They can always look elsewhere for another job, and if they can't find one anywhere else, then someone has to change. Do they have to change, or does society have to change to accommodate them? It seems that typically it's the few complainers who get their way, not necessarily because they're right, but because the other side is terrified of losing face; they don't want to be accused of anything in the eyes of the public. People shouldn't automatically get their way just because they're a so-called "minority", it can't be one rule for them and another for the rest of us.

Last edited by el_marto; 01-25-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Two Muslim women said they were denied jobs at a McDonald's restaurant in Dearborn because they wore Islamic headscarves, according to a discrimination lawsuit filed Thursday in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Toi Whitfield, 20, of Detroit and Quiana Pugh, 25, of Dearborn said they applied for jobs at the McDonald's on Ford Road in the eastern section of Dearborn but were told by the store manager, "You're not going to work here if you don't remove" the headscarf, known as a hijab.

McDonald's wouldn't hire women with hijabs, suit says | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...WS02/807250356 - broken link)
McDonald's should adapt a uniform that takes in consideration those in the community they want to serve. The muslim population in Dearborn is not insignificant. If they want to serve it, they will have to change.

And maybe the local mosque(s) can get together with fast food business leaders to see if they can come to an agreement on a head dress that suits both their needs.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
If that is the ONLY reason they wouldn't hire them, yes that's discrimination.

Hijabs are washed and cleaned just like clothes are. And they could easily wear their scarf with the uniform, it's just a t-shirt with black pants isn't it?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
long as the head gear doesnt dangle on my pickles or fries who cares,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment