Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW121673 View Post
On Another note, if you are contacted by an employer for an interview and you show up, and they clearly tell you that you will be hearing back from them and you do not, here is what I now do:

I send them an email, not a letter where I am wasting my money (postage) and tell them that I am withdrawing from the position because of the lack of follow up on their part.

They have clearly demonstrated to me, exactly how I would be treated as an employee of their company and that "They, not me, have failed to WIN ME OVER..."

I then add in the email that they are welcome for the opportunity to have met me and also the time that they took oup of mine, as they were the one who sought me out for the interview.

Also let them now that them saying that they were getting back to you and did not is not only
unprofessional on their part is it unacceptable.

I also mention in the end to them, that I will go forward with my interview process in the future and make certain that whichever company "I elect" to work for that they clearly demonstrate to me that they are worthy of me as an employee...

Try that one on size next time you don't get a call back...guarantee that will make them think...

Good Luck...Seriously, do that next time you are promised a call...
I'll tell you why I think that's a flat out stupid idea...

You have no idea why you didn't get a call back. For all you know they are very interested in you, but the hiring manager had a death in the family or medical emergency, and they've put everything off for a few weeks. I worked for a place many years ago where this was exactly the case. They were looking to hire an accountant. The CFO had interviewed a half dozen people, and was going to call a few in for second interviews. No one knew which ones he was interested in and which ones he wasn't.

His mother died very unexpectedly, and while he was out of state dealing with her funeral, his car was broadsided when someone ran a stop sign, and he was seriouslly injured. It was almost five weeks later that he returned to work.

There was one person who kept calling about the job. The first time or two they were cool when we told them, "no decision has been made yet" but then they became obnoxious and demanding. You better believe the CFO heard about that person when he returned, and that applicant--who had been in the top three--was dropped from consideration.

If you think that in that time frame you can find another job, and that for the rest of your career you'll never run into anyone who might read it and think, "Oh, that's the arrogant ass who sent us a nastygram when unemployment was at 10% because we didn't get back to him fast enough," go ahead and send that letter. Otherwise, stop shooting yourself in the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:45 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The two medical offices I interviewed with last year also never bothered to respond either--one was a dentist and one was a general surgeon. In fact the dentist was one of the worst interviews ever--she kept me waiting for 45 minutes, then when she did finally meet me, she ate her lunch during the interview and interupted me mid-sentence half a dozen tiems to talk to her staff or take a phone call.
Not knowing your situation, and knowing that if I NEEDED that job I would have sucked it up, but ...... I sure would have been inclined to tell her that she'd have better success trying to pick all of that chicken out of her teeth than in getting me to work for a crummy individual such as herself.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
Not knowing your situation, and knowing that if I NEEDED that job I would have sucked it up, but ...... I sure would have been inclined to tell her that she'd have better success trying to pick all of that chicken out of her teeth than in getting me to work for a crummy individual such as herself.
I began to realize about halfway through the interview that not only was this a place I didn't want to work, but she also hadn't defined what the position she had wanted to fill was. She was looking for an "office manager" but also wanted me to take all these clases on the weekend without pay in a variety of sterilization and such--more like a dental tech needed to know.

She flat out said that I would be required to travel 90 miles from my home to attend classes one weekend a month, she reimbursed up to $35 for gas, tolls, and meals, paid for the hotel, but didn't pay for the training time because "the things I'd learn would be my pay."

I finally told her that I didn't think this was the right job for me, thanked her for her time, and walked out.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
I was interviewing for a great job, had three interviews and they were down to the last 3 candidates for 2 positions. I did not get the job. But...the hiring manager called me a week later and said that she really liked me and wanted to bring me on to her team. She said she had a position opening up due to someone getting a promotion. She asked me to call her every week and keep in touch, so I gladly did. This is a large, well known and respected company and I was dying to work there.

So each week, I made it a point to call her or email. We had many long and positive conversations, emails, etc. and things were moving along. Then, she suddenly stopped returning messages. I called her one day and she picked up and then quickly told me she was on a conference call and that she would call me back in a few minutes. She was really quick to hang up, and I never heard from her again.

I mean, how more rude can you get? She had me on the phone, all she needed to say was that things were not working out or whatever. Instead she makes up a lie that she's on the phone and hangs up? She pursued me! I had already let the job go the first time, but she stirred my hopes up and boy did she string me along...FOR SIX WEEKS!

I sent her an email, asking her to please just let me know either way, figuring it would be easy for her to respond in writing. Less personal. And since we had talked so much, it seemed okay. And she never even bothered to send me an email. What a JERK, I am glad I don't work for her.
I know this is an old post, but I want to say that's really terrible what you went through with this wimp of a woman. In most companies, professionalism and leadership are completely disregarded because if the stockholders and the large clients don't care about it, it's not worth anyone's time. Almost no board member ever says "How do we treat applicants? How do we treat staff? Do we train our managers to be true leaders?" What they care about is the stock price and NOTHING ELSE.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
I'll tell you why I think that's a flat out stupid idea...

You have no idea why you didn't get a call back. For all you know they are very interested in you, but the hiring manager had a death in the family or medical emergency, and they've put everything off for a few weeks. I worked for a place many years ago where this was exactly the case. They were looking to hire an accountant. The CFO had interviewed a half dozen people, and was going to call a few in for second interviews. No one knew which ones he was interested in and which ones he wasn't.

His mother died very unexpectedly, and while he was out of state dealing with her funeral, his car was broadsided when someone ran a stop sign, and he was seriouslly injured. It was almost five weeks later that he returned to work.

There was one person who kept calling about the job. The first time or two they were cool when we told them, "no decision has been made yet" but then they became obnoxious and demanding. You better believe the CFO heard about that person when he returned, and that applicant--who had been in the top three--was dropped from consideration.

If you think that in that time frame you can find another job, and that for the rest of your career you'll never run into anyone who might read it and think, "Oh, that's the arrogant ass who sent us a nastygram when unemployment was at 10% because we didn't get back to him fast enough," go ahead and send that letter. Otherwise, stop shooting yourself in the head.
No one in the office could have shared that information(not giving the exact details) that due to a personal matter that filling this position has been delayed?

Many years ago I had a panel interview at a major university, the HR person let me know that the person would be my boss( who was part of the panel) had a family tragedy and the hiring process was delayed.

I ended up getting the job, but my mind was put at ease.

It is called good communication.

How was it that years ago you would always be contacted one way or another?

It is a reflection of how our society is going down hill at a rapid rate.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
The two medical offices I interviewed with last year also never bothered to respond either--one was a dentist and one was a general surgeon. In fact the dentist was one of the worst interviews ever--she kept me waiting for 45 minutes, then when she did finally meet me, she ate her lunch during the interview and interupted me mid-sentence half a dozen tiems to talk to her staff or take a phone call.

Again it is a sign of the times and the lack of manners.

Happened in Rome and it is happening here.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 AM

37 posts, read 72,264 times
Complain ...

I had some weirdness from an internal recruiter.
I went on LinkedIn and looked at the kinds of groups the CEO was involved in ... then, I called an complained.

[Recruiter using yahoo mail and attacking my credentials, insults, etc.]

I told him that I did not believe that that was the manner in which he wanted his company represented. She called with an apology.

He called to thank me ...
I didn't get the job, but I did not let that stand.

fp5

Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM

229 posts, read 573,828 times
I was on an interview that, in the email originally sent, I was in the 'top' category for the position. One person liked me very much, the other (as I found later in the interview) was being promoted and was very defensive about the position. I did not get the position and was not told that until a month later, after I sent a few emails. I was polite and replied that if there was another opening in the organization that I was still interested.

I think the 2nd person was worried that I would do the job better than she had and wanted to choose a non-threatening person to take over her position as I have a lot of experience and skills.

By being positive, rather than negative, I know I will remain in the first persons mind. You never know where these things may end up.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM

37 posts, read 72,264 times
Thumbs up FOLLOW-UP: By being positive, rather than negative

I find myself wondering if complain = negative?

Confronting a problem does not have to mean negativity. In my earlier post, I mentioned "complaining" as an appropriate response: I stand by that approach.

Being direct and assertive is to only way to put concerns out in the open where the person or the leadership can DEAL WITH THEM.

Otherwise, if you say "no problem, no problem" when actually your sensibilities were offended or even feelings were hurt ... then, the next person and the next person, and the next person are at risk of being unintentionally treated the same way.

We all know that people a churned just like butter and we are all expendable, to some extent, however, even in being turned down I have had some extremely cordial replies that made me feel valued as an individual.

Manners don't matter to some people, neither does etiquette. Nonetheless, that "extra mile" means a lot in many circumstances as does honest communication.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
I applied for a job at UC Davis two weeks ago and they said they would contact me in about two weeks to let me know either way. They said it would be either a phone call or by mail. Did they call you or send you a letter?

Just curious because I am really wanting this job and today is exactly two weeks.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search