Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times

Advertisements

A little birdie told me I can expect a job offer sometime next week. This is (kinda) my dream job. This little birdie told me I came highly recommended by one of the hiring managers, the one I will be working with, plus I have experience and great references, so I feel I have some room to maneuver when the time comes for talking salary. I know the salary range for the position, and I've researched what the position pays locally and nationally, so I've got a pretty good idea what to expect. Any tips on how to successfully negotiate salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
Negotiate Salary

Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:26 AM

Thanks, it helps, but I guess I'm looking more for personal success stories and specifics on how to counter-offer, what to say and when to say it, and how that's worked out for people. I've never negotiated salary before and I'm a bit nervous about how it will go!

I should probably also mention this is for a local government job (not IT).

Old 08-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Thanks, it helps, but I guess I'm looking more for personal success stories and specifics on how to counter-offer, what to say and when to say it, and how that's worked out for people. I've never negotiated salary before and I'm a bit nervous about how it will go!

I should probably also mention this is for a local government job (not IT).
Oh, OK. I have worked in government before, not that your local government operates this way, but they have always had a starting to and ending range for that particular position. I always had to start at the bottom and then within a year or so I was at the top of the range. Not that this is relevant in your case, just what I have experienced in my previous employment with two government agencies. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:30 AM

Ah, that's enlightening. I was kind of wondering if different rules applied to govt jobs. Sounds like the answer is yes? Hmm, so should I ask about raises, or will they just tell me how often I can expect a raise, should all go well, during the initial job offer discussion?

Sorry... so many questions~!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Ah, that's enlightening. I was kind of wondering if different rules applied to govt jobs. Sounds like the answer is yes? Hmm, so should I ask about raises, or will they just tell me how often I can expect a raise, should all go well, during the initial job offer discussion?

I would think, and as I said this is based on my past experience, they will tell you what the salary range for that job classification is (probably will even give you a sheet with the ranges on it) and tell you if they want to start you out at the bottom, or maybe because of your experience they might start you out a little higher, and then will tell you how far you can go in that particular job classification and when you automatically get raises (we called them steps on the classification chart). Government used to be like this. They should address all of this for you and you won't even have to ask about raises because it is a standard practice for every job classification. They never used to give merit raises. I think you get an annual cost of living raise. The percentage changes each year. (This is the way it used to be.)

Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 AM

Ah, okay, so that's the way it will probably work then. Thanks for shedding some light!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ah, okay, so that's the way it will probably work then. Thanks for shedding some light!
You're welcome!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:48 PM

130 posts, read 447,008 times
Quote:

I am in a government job and was able to negotiate starting at the higher end of the range (there are 5 "steps" in the paygrade and I came in at #4, which meant I hit the top of the range at my anniversary date). Where I work, you move up one "step" each year. My strongest negotiating point was my salary at the job I was leaving--the manager asked me for paystubs, which gave her the bargaining power she needed to justify it on her end. It helped that I also had significant education and experience in the field, and the position was typically hard to fill. I can't remember who brought it up first, but I made it clear that I would need to make more than my then current position in order for me to come over. Something like "my current salary is _____ and I would expect to be making more than that."

One thing to be aware of--in a government job--is how they handle any retirement contributions. My private-idustry positions have all paid into a 401K ON TOP of my salary, whereas the government position takes it out from underneath. (They contribute a % of my income to my pension and I contribute a smaller %.) This effectively lowers my salary, because I never see that $$.

Don't forget to look at the overall package. Health benefits, annual raises, time off, etc. These are typically pretty good in gov't positions. They should inform you about all of this, including raises, cost of living, and how all of that works. Gov't jobs will likely be better in some of these areas, but may be lower in others. Much of this information will be available online, but I would think it would make sense to ask how raises/promotions are handled if they don't offer the info.

Good luck! And congrats on your dream job!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThings View Post
I am in a government job and was able to negotiate starting at the higher end of the range (there are 5 "steps" in the paygrade and I came in at #4, which meant I hit the top of the range at my anniversary date). Where I work, you move up one "step" each year. My strongest negotiating point was my salary at the job I was leaving--the manager asked me for paystubs, which gave her the bargaining power she needed to justify it on her end. It helped that I also had significant education and experience in the field, and the position was typically hard to fill. I can't remember who brought it up first, but I made it clear that I would need to make more than my then current position in order for me to come over. Something like "my current salary is _____ and I would expect to be making more than that."

One thing to be aware of--in a government job--is how they handle any retirement contributions. My private-idustry positions have all paid into a 401K ON TOP of my salary, whereas the government position takes it out from underneath. (They contribute a % of my income to my pension and I contribute a smaller %.) This effectively lowers my salary, because I never see that $$.

Don't forget to look at the overall package. Health benefits, annual raises, time off, etc. These are typically pretty good in gov't positions. They should inform you about all of this, including raises, cost of living, and how all of that works. Gov't jobs will likely be better in some of these areas, but may be lower in others. Much of this information will be available online, but I would think it would make sense to ask how raises/promotions are handled if they don't offer the info.

Good luck! And congrats on your dream job!!!
Thank you!

The job announcement listed the salary range and pay grades (five also) for the position. I didn't know what pay grades meant or how they worked! The lowest "step" is already considerably higher than what I made at my last job, so I guess that's a good thing. I'll be sure to take bennies into consideration. Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment