Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times

Advertisements

hahaha

(:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
but i don't feel good (laysay) about apologizing for something i don't feel was my fault. do you go around apologizing for everything when it's not your fault? i don't want to say i'm sorry for the miscommunication (like it's my fault) when it was he that didn't communicate clearly and ultimately he was the reason we argued in the first place. yes, i was wrong for arguing w/ him but "he started it"...haha.
How about you're sorry for any part you played in the miscommunication. I think you said you walked into his office and said "What!" (correct me if I have that wrong). That kind of way of entering might have helped get his back up and I'm sure if you had the chance to do it again you would have been more proffessional and classy. Why don't you just say "that if you had it to do again you would have done it differently." That takes's responsibility for your actions without apoplogizing for something that wasn't your fault.

Last edited by laysayfair; 08-28-2008 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM

okay how about this:

[SIZE=2]I apologize for the breakdown in communication today which caused me to miss the 9:30 deadline. I'm sorry for not being professional and I regret that we argued.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Thank you for the opportunity to work with you all for a few weeks. Everyone was very welcoming and helpful and I hope you pass along that I enjoyed working with them! I wish all of you all the best in your futures.[/SIZE]

Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
There's a knack to saying "I'm sorry" without meaning it.

Dear "Ed",
I apologize for the breakdown in communication today which caused me to miss the 9:30 deadline for sending the presentation to your client. I'm sorry if you felt that I was being disrespectful, I did not intend any ill will towards you and I regret that we argued on the point.
I agree with there being a knack to apologizing without taking the responsibility on yourself.

That being said, the above still makes it sound like fisher33 was the more responsible party. If someone with no background info read this, it would sound like fisher misunderstood when the target deadline was; not knowing that it was pretty nearly an instantaneous deadline with the bosses breathing down her neck and getting her totally confused. I still go with the simple "Thanks for the opportunity...." approach which conveys no hard feelings but also not taking the fall for the situation or giving the allusion of having been the more culpable party. I also like the line in your earlier post fisher where you stated that you appreciated the positive feedback while you were on the job.

If you had initiated the situation or if you were still working for him, you would have to suck it up and make the above type of apologies discussing your role/response in the situation. But he's no longer your boss, so just leave a warm, positive final missive and don't rehash anything.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM

okay, i think that's great molly. thank you!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,460 times
Did you already send it? I probably would go with "I regret that this opportunity has ended" and skip the apology part.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 PM

i decided not to send anything. my husband and i talked about it and decided it wasn't worth it b/c i'm not sorry for standing up for myself and i don't really regret the opportunity ended. and i don't need to thank him for the opportunity, and he hasn't said anything to me so i'm not worrying about it. thanks though everyone for the advice. i'm so glad you were all there to help me out yesterday.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Default smell the roses.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
i decided not to send anything. my husband and i talked about it and decided it wasn't worth it b/c i'm not sorry for standing up for myself and i don't really regret the opportunity ended. and i don't need to thank him for the opportunity, and he hasn't said anything to me so i'm not worrying about it. thanks though everyone for the advice. i'm so glad you were all there to help me out yesterday.
I'd have to agree with you...I would not have sent anything either. If you do not need this as a reference, forget it. Enjoy your weekend and next week maybe take a day or two to get up late, have coffee, take a walk in a park, smell the roses, just unwind on your own before hitting the want ads. Good luck to you!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 PM

thanks therewego! friday was fun - i got to catch up on house cleaning and realized how much fun it was to stay at home... uh oh! haha, i'll probably look for something part time this time around.

thanks again to everyone too!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:27 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
I think temp agencies are used to the temps walking out of certain places. i would let him tell her what he tells her, and don't say anything at all, other than "it didn't work out and I had to leave. I wasn't treated with respect and I refuse to work in that kind of environment. I would appreciate it if you would place me somewhere where my skills and experience will be utilized, next time". or something to that effect.

He might not even complain about you. A lot of places that get temps just give them busy work to do, which is annoying, but honestly they sometimes just don't expect to get a person qualified to do anything (which might be why he was on your back.)

If she doesn't give you a job soon, call her back and tell her you've been waiting for a call for a job. If she sounds like she is just putting you off, look for something else.

The best jobs are the ones you don't really need. That way if you run into a complete A**, you just leave and don't look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment