Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Employment: find a job, conflict of interest, workplace, manager, competent.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,806 times

Advertisements

Hah! I love women, but I LOVE this thread !! I'm surprised the PC-patrol hasn't shown up on the scene yet to put a stop to this!

Peeps, don't forget this other thing that some women in the workplace do:

** They sleep with or "offer themselves" to higher-ups in the company in a sick behind-the-scenes quid pro quo in return for a promotion or recommendations that lead to a promotion, etc.

This happens a lot more than people think, and it's all hush hush behind the scenes.

Disgusting!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I think self-employment is a goal for all of us! The thing is, though, what do you do? What was your field? If it were easy I'm sure all of us would rather be self-employed than working for these weirdos! Give me some insight. BTW, why did you return to the workforce?! YOU HAD IT MADE!
LOL you might be right about that. I only worked three weeks out of four but those days were often 14 hours long. Also, I put on 30,000 on my car last year. I was an insurance inspector. Working outside when the weather is 18 degrees or 104 is no fun. The upside is that my husband worked with me so we had a lot of quality time together.

Now, however, aside from the aggravation of working for "someone else", my dh gets to stay home and do all the things he never had time to do before, when we were on the road, and I only have to drive 50 miles per day. There are trade-offs, I'm afraid, both good and bad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
Default speak to a nurse

Quote:
That's how my bf feels. He told me he refuses to work in an office environment..and I can see why. I know there will be idiots at every job..but it seems insanely intense at office jobs. As a Nursing student, I take office jobs b/c they are the highest paying positions I can get without yet having a degree..but they are awful. You sit on your rear all day long and listen to others gossip...or have people playing politics with you and trying to backstab you. I eventually will own my own business but I do know that I need to find a way to make in there over the next 10 years. I just pray to God that I can figure out a way to avoid a job that has this much nonsense.
I'm thinking about nursing school too because I hate working in a cubicle. I feel like I'm dying in an office environment. But I hope you don't think there isn't a bunch of drama and B.S. working in a hospital. Ask a nurse. You'll see. But that is called life. Gotta deal with it and stay away from the trouble makers.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:15 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,540 times
I've been working at various companies in different corporate environments for 25 years and I still have to deal with it all the time. Some company environments are better than others, but frankly, I can't wait to retire.

Here's a suggestion though... Join a community service or volunteer group that is doing something positive in your community. It could be Meals On Wheels, Protecting City Parks, Habitat For Humanity... You will start meeting people who are positive, have ethics, and want to do something that reflects a focus beyond their jobs. This will help you to not grow cynical. (Well, at least, it has helped me stay positive.)

Quote:
Beware the Back-Stabbing Coworkers (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-beware_the_back_stabbing_coworkers-494 - broken link)

Fortunately I am going to be Nurse...but I still imagine this nonsense will be present. Is it possible to get a job without someone constantly trying to screw over? Believe me, I'm MS. POSITIVITY and don't like to think people are out to get me..but geesh, I'm beginning to wonder if this is what life is like forever? I just turned 23 and I absolutely can't avoid these completely corrupt people at my jobs. I have probably had a total of 7 jobs...(some part time..etc. etc. thru the years)..and there is always ONE person trying to make you lose your job I swear. I even hear my parents talking about how someone is screwing them over at work. DEPRESSING!
Please share your wonderful experiences and what you have done to fix them...etc.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
the site ihatemyjob.com has a special section for nurses. The pain and unhappiness (*not* about the patients) burns through the screen.
And by the way, competence is not the issue. Incompetence doesn't cause backstabbing, in fact, in a truly dysfunctional environment, people resent competence. Especially in psychiatric work, people must work together for safety and good care, and if competence and directness are resented, you have a real problem. If only competence were an issue...

Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
Hi, I am curious what kind of firm you're starting? What is your industry?
I am going to start a gov't consulting firm/accounting firm.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:21 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
In my RN environment, I'd say that being very competent can be the issue with people who are threatened by it. I am not saying this to be arrogant. It's a fact. The less competent or downright incompetent people are not given the most crap, at least not where I work.
I think one problem I have is that I'm direct, even-tempered and I often work only with the "subordinates," who are largely men. I think the day/evening people see me as an honorary guy, or an honorary guy subordinate, and they must be Nancy Nurse. I don't think histrionics make people more competent, but it gives them the aura that they CAAAARE.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Yes the jobs I've had usually there is one conniving person whom is trying to ruin you. I could only ignore my supervisor's intentionally bitter attitude for so long until I screeched at her. I noticed how she was nicer to other people but to me she was very bitter and cold. So that is why I screeched at her and told her what I thought of her. I bet she felt pitiful. lol.

Another time I did part time work and a co-worker was always rude and sarcastic with me at team meetings and I finally just stopped working there because the boss would allow it to occur. Idiots I tell you, complete idiots. The boss had the nerve to withhold my check and complain and whine to me via email. What an idiot. I still got my paycheck.

In graduate school it is the same story. Best not to do any work with people because you never know who will gang up on you or get a gang of people to turn on you. Individual work all the way through is the best way.

Quote:
Beware the Back-Stabbing Coworkers (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-beware_the_back_stabbing_coworkers-494 - broken link)

Fortunately I am going to be Nurse...but I still imagine this nonsense will be present. Is it possible to get a job without someone constantly trying to screw over? Believe me, I'm MS. POSITIVITY and don't like to think people are out to get me..but geesh, I'm beginning to wonder if this is what life is like forever? I just turned 23 and I absolutely can't avoid these completely corrupt people at my jobs. I have probably had a total of 7 jobs...(some part time..etc. etc. thru the years)..and there is always ONE person trying to make you lose your job I swear. I even hear my parents talking about how someone is screwing them over at work. DEPRESSING!
Please share your wonderful experiences and what you have done to fix them...etc.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-09-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
I could be living in a fantasy..
I'm a RN and yes, you're living in a fantasy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment