Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else get depressed on Sunday, knowing that have to deal with work and all the crap that goes with it on Monday.

I'm not talking about just feeling a little off, I'm talking about hating Sunday and feeling a sense of dread.

Usually by Tuesday it goes away quite a bit. But by then I'm starting to look forward to the weekend. This pattern seems to be my whole life.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Does anyone else get depressed on Sunday, knowing that have to deal with work and all the crap that goes with it on Monday.

I'm not talking about just feeling a little off, I'm talking about hating Sunday and feeling a sense of dread.

Usually by Tuesday it goes away quite a bit. But by then I'm starting to look forward to the weekend. This pattern seems to be my whole life.

Any thoughts?
I don't know how old you are or where you are in your career, but I can definitely relate. I started feeling this way over the last year or so, and it made me realize that I am approaching that point that I need to seriously consider retiring. I have been working for the same (state government) employer for 31 years, and I am eligible to retire, even though I am (only!) 53 yrs old. But I am - to use a cliche - burned out.

If you are at a different stage of your career, maybe you need to consider a change. I know that's sometimes easier said than done, but you can't spend the rest of your life dreading Monday morning.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I just got over doing this for the last year or so. I didn't change jobs or careers. I just realized that life flies by, and it would be the weekend again before I knew it. I also realized that jobs are something to be thankful for these days. I have great health insurance, excellent 401K, and plenty of vacation/holiday time and I really didn't have anything "concrete" to be griping about. So, I pulled myself out of my funk.

If you're young (I'm almost 44, so not a spring chicken anymore ) and completely miserable, I would say change your circumstances now. Make the sacrifices you need to make in order to position yourself so that you're not dreading Mondays. That's no way to live, as I realized after a year!

Do your soul-searching. Is it really that bad? If the answer is a resounding YES, do something. If you're just whining, suck it up!! There are worse things in life!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
I had to use my Sunday working; I had to catch up on work at the business I run. I had to pour concrete to make stained glass stepping stones, build a display for upcoming fairs, and finish up a couple of pieces that need to be shipped off. I look forward to going to work tomorrow driving the bus. I get to sit down!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
what that shows is that you dont have enough to keep you busy on your weekends. YOur job used to keep you busy, you used to live for your job, *didnt you*, come on, be honest, career oriented, there before 8, stayed after 5, now your job doesnt fulfill you anymore, and you feel that the job is to blame, when in reality, the change isnt the job, its you, find something to do, a hobby, trust me, get involved in a charity, big brother, sister, before you know it, the job will be a welcome relief again.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
I remember when I was single, had no vehicle (took the bus), no "party" type friends and pretty much just stayed in the room/at the house where I was renting. Wanted to meet a girl and have some fun, but without a vehicle, my life was fairly boring, boring, boring. But, come Sunday afternoon, starting to get anxious to go into work on Monday morning just so I could have something to do during the week.
When "work" is the only thing exciting going on in a person's life, Monday morning can be very exciting!!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
I had a friend who claimed this happened to her and she changed career directions. Now she doesn't get Sunday blues anymore!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Am I the only person who looks forward to work? I get happy on Sundays knowing I can goto work and see my friends, and make money at the same time so I can buy the things I enjoy.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I've had plenty of jobs that made me happy like that. The one I'm in currently doesn't make me giddy, but I've come to like it much better, and my bennies are great. I just take the good with the bad.

Count your blessings! Having a great job makes a third of your life that much less stressful!

And honestly, I know a lot of people who love their jobs. LOVE them!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:50 PM

188 posts, read 548,669 times
we call it Sunday psychosis...and yes, I get it every week, but on monday I feel fine...weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment