Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,252 times

Advertisements

In my field, government accounting, lots of jobs within my area. I live in a suburb of Dallas and there are lots of jobs. You have to be highly qualified and experienced, which I am and I think I would have no trouble finding a job. In fact, I am quitting my job in a month and plan on taking my time in finding another one. In fact, things are pretty good right now in this field, I am seriously thinking about opening my own gov't consulting firm or a bookkeeping firm.I am sure glad I got into this field. There are right now 4 finance director openings within 23 miles of my hometown. I can pick and choose if I wanted to. I had one headhunter email me asking me if I was interested in one of them.
It's nice when they come knocking on your door. This job I am in right now, I never applied for it never even had an interview. They called me in based on what they had heard about me through the grapevine. I specialize in non profit accounting, (government accounting and auditing.) Get into that field if you are young and work your way up.
That's my advice.

Last edited by CTR36; 10-23-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
We're hiring for good jobs at my place of work. In fact, I am interviewing two candidates today for a Business/Marketing Writer position in our department. Other depts are interviewing for other people as well. We're a small software company in Las Colinas (Irving), Texas.

However, the job market IS going downhill. There are thousands of people being laid off in the DFW area. Texas Instruments just announced they will be laying off people, and other companies in the area are following suit. It's a bad time of the year to be looking for work because most companies don't hire much anyway heading into the holidays.

I wish everyone out there the very best of luck in your job search.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
A lot of those places require "certification" in the field such as knowing medical billing terms, and many years of administration experience in a hospital setting. This is what is KILLING all of us right now, because of the fact you have to spend another $1,000 to even $5,000 in tuition to go back to school to acquire the skills needed to perform the job. Ridiculous, and these hospitals fail to understand that education in 2008 is EXPENSIVE! That is why these hospitals are having trouble hiring people.

He was just applying for kichen help or porter!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Last year around Sept 2007 my 6 month contract ended, and I got my next job the same week of my layoff. This year my job ended Aug 15th and I've been unemployed for 10 weeks in Houston's good job market. I interviewd for a job and the other good candidates were from out of state! I didn't get a call back either.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 AM

303 posts, read 846,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Check out the hospital websites, there are plenty of job openings not just for health personnel, but even for non-health positions like in administration, accounting, IT, maintenance/engineering, food service, janitorial...etc
I am having a tough time believing that. I was told that I would have an interview for an accounting position in data entry at Baylor Medical Center shortly after Thanksgiving. Well, now, it's been a month and I found out they had postponed the interview indefinitely because the economy even here is in bad shape.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,737 times
The economy is not doing great. There are lay-off's everywhere. I am here with my job for the past 3 months which I hate. I guess i need something more challenging than trading. Never mind...
I keep looking for a different job...

Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
I live in Eastern Vermont on the border of Western New Hampshire. There are hiring freezes everywhere.

Hospitals ARE NOT hiring. My husband works for one, the other is on a freeze, except for maybe doctors and nurses and cleaners.

If you clean or wait tables, I guess there are jobs. Same for retail. Wendys and so on are always hiring but you know why...

Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
In my field, government accounting, lots of jobs within my area. I live in a suburb of Dallas and there are lots of jobs. You have to be highly qualified and experienced, which I am and I think I would have no trouble finding a job. In fact, I am quitting my job in a month and plan on taking my time in finding another one. In fact, things are pretty good right now in this field, I am seriously thinking about opening my own gov't consulting firm or a bookkeeping firm.I am sure glad I got into this field. There are right now 4 finance director openings within 23 miles of my hometown. I can pick and choose if I wanted to. I had one headhunter email me asking me if I was interested in one of them.
It's nice when they come knocking on your door. This job I am in right now, I never applied for it never even had an interview. They called me in based on what they had heard about me through the grapevine. I specialize in non profit accounting, (government accounting and auditing.) Get into that field if you are young and work your way up.
That's my advice.
I am looking for accounting work (entry-level) and can't find anything. Everyone wants 1-2 years experience. Now I am focusing most of my efforts on studying for the CPA exam and getting my BA degree. I plan on mostly networking at the school from now on as looking for a job online is a dead end street most of the time.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
I live in NE GA and our unemployment rate is higher than the national average. I've been unemployed since June and only been on two interviews. I have excellent computer skills, legal and medical backgrounds and can't even get an interview for admin jobs.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
I am having a tough time believing that. I was told that I would have an interview for an accounting position in data entry at Baylor Medical Center shortly after Thanksgiving. Well, now, it's been a month and I found out they had postponed the interview indefinitely because the economy even here is in bad shape.

Baylor isn't the only hospital in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment