Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,771,397 times

Advertisements

I lift hundreds of pounds a day stocking freight.

At the end of my eight hour shift, I'm physically exhausted.

Of course, that might have something to do with my piece count being considerably higher than the average.

Last edited by TKramar; 10-27-2008 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,116,464 times
It takes 3 generations to lose a fortune.

I wonder if most wealth is actually inherited or made?
I think the LAWYERS and ACCOUNTANTS of the rich work harder than we do.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,861,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
What about corporate executives? They have the security of a salary, plus stock options, bonuses, perks like company cars and jets, and who knows what else. Are they really entitled to the almost obscene amount of money that they make? Think about the oil company executives. The little guy is forking over the $$ for gas and heating oil, the oil companies are making record profits, and the CEO's are walking away with millions.
If you are an executive at a major oil company, you've been around the world, you've paid your dues 10 times over, you have at least one graduate degree and you NEVER stop working. Even when you're on vacation (which is probably about never). Those guys get paid but they are driven individuals to the point of personal dysfunction. Don't believe for a second that the man at the helm of a corporation doesn't do anything.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,443,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If you are an executive at a major oil company, you've been around the world, you've paid your dues 10 times over, you have at least one graduate degree and you NEVER stop working. Even when you're on vacation (which is probably about never). Those guys get paid but they are driven individuals to the point of personal dysfunction. Don't believe for a second that the man at the helm of a corporation doesn't do anything.
Well said.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It takes 3 generations to lose a fortune.

I wonder if most wealth is actually inherited or made?
I think the LAWYERS and ACCOUNTANTS of the rich work harder than we do.
If our standard of wealth is the $100,000 a year figure, I would say made.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I lift hundreds of pounds a day stocking freight.

At the end of my eight hour shift, I'm physically exhausted.

Of course, that might have something to do with my piece count being considerably higher than the average.
That is hard work. See, I won't take that away from anyone. I think ALL work should be respected.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,961 times
I believe that working hard is one attribute to your success but working smart, and knowing how to invest your money is another thing. No matter how much money you make, if you don't know how to save up those money for investment, spend over your limit, you will have bills and only enough from day to day. I can relate to that because I used to work in pharmacy making good money but I have no life at all let alone some spending money. That was my younger years I don't know how to think wisely but when work and stress add up too much I resign from pharmacy. Currently, I am much happier and less stressful focusing only on my business venture from home.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,245,929 times
I believe most people work hard, wealthy or not. It's just that the wealthy also work smart.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,984,535 times
Obviously it is not just hard work, it is also being in demand. If you average $10 per hour, you have to work five times as long as someone who makes $50 per hour. If you can command higher rates you may have additional skills or the job may entail more danger. I'm sure the 11 workers killed on that oil rig made good money.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,649,059 times
My mom and I were having this conversation today. She was asking me about something at work and I basically said something along the lines of my job is very, very stressful. She remarked something about it is obvious why she gets paid what she is paid versus what I make.

I am just a lowly manager, but in comparison to other jobs the decisions and risks I have to take can be emotionally and physically taxing (when you have been up since 6am the previous day only to have a major problem happen in a system that needs fixing and don't leave the office until the next morning
when everyone else is coming back to work at 8-9am, it can be very tiring!).

I look at our senior management and as my career takes me closer and closer into their world I realize that he farther you move up the chain of command the more inherent risks there are. There is a reason why there is typically a golden parachute for executives. It is not as simple for them to go to a new job (think on it not like there are multiple C suite jobs around). They can have worked hard but the company decides to completely different direction, etc.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have the responsibilities that I do now even at my level. The stress I used to have before is nothing in comparison as being accountable for an entire process, team, department all having to be done through leadership and delegation. My previous worker bee jobs were far easier and less stressful in retrospect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment