Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 02:29 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times

Advertisements

I moved across the country with no job. I know, I know TRY to hold all of the "wrong move" comments. lol I found a job after looking for.... 4-6 weeks. Well I actually was offered other jobs but none of them were wages I could live off of so I turned them all down. Anyways I found my current job at the point when I found it I HAD to take it because my savings was dangerously low. I own a home where I moved from and rented it out 3 months before I moved (hired a property manager and all). Well the property manager must have been relatives with the tenants she found because they paid rent when they felt like it and she never seemed too concerned about it when I'd call and ask what was going on. Long story short I had to fire her she refused to hand over any info regarding the tenants and I now have to sue her AND evict the tenants all from across the country PLUS pay the mortgage!!! That's a whole different drawn out story!! I said all that to explain why I HAD to take the job I did.

Okay... back to the point of the post (sorry lol). I really like the job. I like what I do and I like the people I work with. My boss is amazing and the atmosphere is very relaxed and it's just a great company. However the pay leaves a LOT to be desired!! At my pay I won't be able to accept the healthcare when they offer it to me because I can't afford to have what it costs taken out of my check. My review is coming up and I already know there won't be a pay increase (it was stated in the offer letter). With it being the end of the year the company is trying to get the books together for the year’s business. However I'm not positive that doesn't mean I couldn't get a raise in the future. I am looking for another job and I feel kind of guilty because everyone here is so wonderful but... you can't pay the bills with that.lol I don't want to tell my boss I'm looking because I don't want them to let me go before I find something but I also don't want to just give my 2 weeks notice because we all get along so great. I feel like it will be like a slap in their face. My boss just forced me to order a ton of business cards. loll He told me to order them and I mentioned that I hadn't had my 60 day review yet and he told me to order a box. I kind of dragged my feet and then like a week later he asked if I received my business cards yet. Soooo I kind of had to put the order in. lol

I'm torn because the people are so great but I know ultimately I can't pay my bills with "great feelings" so I have to do what I have to do.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 02:34 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Find a job where you love the job AND the pay

Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,590 times
Smerkygrl's advice is great and all, but you need to be careful, especially since you turned down a lot of other work. Companies seem ready to blackball someone right from the start if they can. I wish i had waited before moving like i did, so i could find a job i know i am good at, instead of being blackballed at every turn for stupid s**t just because they can

Old 10-31-2008, 08:27 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Find a job where you love the job AND the pay
Kind of hard now because of these EVIL corporations taking over the country.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
It seems like they are happy with you. I'd sit down with my boss and be honest. I know they said there won't be any raises, but that doesn't mean they won't change their mind. It's alot harder and more expensive to train new ppl, not to mention find reliable ppl.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
Kind of hard now because of these EVIL corporations taking over the country.
With an attitude like that, I'd imagine you'd think everyone is looking to be EVIL to you.

I didn't even look very hard and I landed a job that is financially very rewarding and intrinsically rewarding as well. I love my company. Sorry that you don't love your's.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,590 times
Smerky dear, can ya help!?!?!??!? any help would be greatly appreciated. I am having touble finding work......nApplied anywhere, and everywhere i can.............

Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
Smerky dear, can ya help!?!?!??!? any help would be greatly appreciated. I am having touble finding work......nApplied anywhere, and everywhere i can.............
Come to DC. Find a mid-sized company. Go into sales. Chaching.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:42 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times
I had a voicemail Friday from the place I interviewed at last week. The guy said he hasn't forgotten about me he enjoyed meeting me, has been really swamped and sorry he hasn't gotten back to me sooner. He said they haven't made the decision and he has to go over things with his boss but I'm on the short list. It sounds promising but we will see. I also have an interview Monday morning. If I get either one of them I'm going to go to my boss and see if we can work out a deal where I go down to part time or a possibe telecommute because I really do like working for the company. Plus he won't have to train anyone new and won't have to give me medical. I will be saving them money!! lol PLUS be better off financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment