Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times

Advertisements

My company does written, 3 strikes, and the 4th one you are done.. unless something major. Just start with a verbal, a written, then a termination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 AM

203 posts, read 927,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
I have an employee that is habitually late to work. This is an office position at an engineering company. Work starts at 7:15am. This employee has not once, in the past 6 months, been able to be at their desk no sooner than 8:30am. I have had numerous discussions with this individual about tardinsess and I keep hearing the same old excuses. These are: mom is sick, kids are sick, wife is sick, so and so is in the hospital, employee is sick, traffic is bad and it goes on and on.

This person is not the best performer, but could be if they just applied themself more. I have tried my best to work with the individual and am very tired of hearing I will do better, but it just ain't happening.

I have decided to terminate this persons employment with the company, not only because of the above mentioned issues, but because of an argument he started with an individual that was overseeing his work. That was the last straw that made me make this decision of termination.

Now I have to deal with HR and the politics of the justiication of this termination. Everything must be documented per the HR policies.

I believe I have grounds for terminating this employee. And I will stand by my decision. I would like some feedback from the forum folks and would like to ask what you would do in my position.
Well, the way you word it, it definitely sounds like this person should be terminated. It is unfair for this person to come late to work and expect others to pick up the slack. To continuously come late to work sets a bad example and makes the other coworkers think they should be able to get away with it too. If there is no exaggeration in your claims and it is fully documented than i would say you have a case. My advice for future incidents, however small that the offending party is immediately notified of their "slip up"(paperwork), a meeting is scheduled with other managers/supervisors. If the scr*wups continue implement a "suspenion" program at work...nothing like waiting at home wondering if ya got a job?!

Been on both sides of the fence

Old 11-15-2008, 10:16 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
The employee thinks that their late behaviour is excused, so they carry on being late.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:44 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,961 times
Movie Lover said it right. He has been able to do this for quite sometime and he ever hears "Why are you late again today." It's working for him.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,940 times
also, as Ionredline said, most companies do the three strikes thing

Old 11-15-2008, 02:06 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
We terminate employees in the unknown sense.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,435 times
Quote:
Work starts at 7:15am. This employee has not once, in the past 6 months, been able to be at their desk no sooner than 8:30am.
The employee is more than an hour late every day for the past 6 months, and you start doing something after half a year?
Is this a gov't agency?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 PM

188 posts, read 548,669 times
Some people just are not morning people. Personally, I would never take a job that forced me to be at work at 7:15, cuz I'd probably do the same thing this person is doing.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
Some people just are not morning people. Personally, I would never take a job that forced me to be at work at 7:15, cuz I'd probably do the same thing this person is doing.
And this post as several others before it is moot. The OP asked a question which has, for the most part, been answered. Cheers!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
If you have documentation forwarded to your employer informing them that you have a heart condition. And you have left work ill on several occasions and gone to the hospital because you’re having chest pain. The doctor examines you then releases you with a medical excuse stating when you can return to work and your job/company responds that the company has a no excuse policy. Could this be true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment