Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
My stupid boss does this too and I did not understand at first. Coming to find out, it's a management style that many companies use to "divide and rule". My dad did tell me that recently when I told him about this. He said it is more common than I imagined but it is my first time seeing it. He told me that bosses do that so that there is mistrust in the department, in other words, so that everyone does not get along. Because think about it, if all the employees got along and trusted each other, then they will have a common enemy (the boss) so they will rise against him/her. By pitting employees against one another, there is less chance of them rising against the boss because they do not trust each other, which means the boss can very easily do any injustice without fear and stay in power longer! How pathetic...
Thats very true. The boss is using a strategy from Sun Tzu. Tzu's method on the battlefield and in the workplace works wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,694 times
I would tell my boss to quit and take up another hobby to keep himself from being bored. Try golf or bowling or something.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:41 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
I would tell some of the bosses I've known to get professional help to overcome their insecurities and not come to work in the hopes of being placed on a pedestral and worshipped - and not to take their problems out on employees. And I would tell them not to be intimidated by employees and accept and use their suggestions - and give employees credit for their ideas...not steal them for personal gains. I would tell them not to give their 'pets' the highest raises and toss the real worker-bees the crumbs. They also need to ensure the workload is distributed evenly, not let the slackers get away with dumbing their work on others.

Double standards and favortism need to be eliminated. Bosses should not be overly friendly with any of their staff, they need to maintain a professional relationship. Being a boss is not a popularity contest.

Bosses need to respect employees and realize employees want to go home and not have last minute work thrown at them that could wait until the next day, and work that had been sitting on their desk for the last two weeks.

A boss/manager's main role is to set a good example, motivate, guide, mentor and help bring out the best in people. Effective bosses praise in public and "correct" in private. They really know what their employees do and show appreciation for their work - and just appreciate them period.

The best boss I worked with had an even temperment (no extreme highs or lows), treated all employees equally and fairly, never expected anyone to do anythat that he would not have done himself. Never belittled anyone. If he ever had any marital problems we never knew about it. He was the type of boss that you wanted to work your tail off for, not one that you couldn't wait to get away from. And then he had to go and retire, how rude! lol

Old 11-18-2008, 06:57 AM

560 posts, read 1,548,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The best boss I worked with had an even temperment (no extreme highs or lows), treated all employees equally and fairly, never expected anyone to do anythat that he would not have done himself. Never belittled anyone. If he ever had any marital problems we never knew about it. He was the type of boss that you wanted to work your tail off for, not one that you couldn't wait to get away from. And then he had to go and retire, how rude! lol
Didn't you know? Good managers never stay around for long..it is the trashy and incompetent ones who stay around for ever..

Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
ditto to all of that!!! great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I would tell some of the bosses I've known to get professional help to overcome their insecurities and not come to work in the hopes of being placed on a pedestral and worshipped - and not to take their problems out on employees. And I would tell them not to be intimidated by employees and accept and use their suggestions - and give employees credit for their ideas...not steal them for personal gains. I would tell them not to give their 'pets' the highest raises and toss the real worker-bees the crumbs. They also need to ensure the workload is distributed evenly, not let the slackers get away with dumbing their work on others.

Double standards and favortism need to be eliminated. Bosses should not be overly friendly with any of their staff, they need to maintain a professional relationship. Being a boss is not a popularity contest.

Bosses need to respect employees and realize employees want to go home and not have last minute work thrown at them that could wait until the next day, and work that had been sitting on their desk for the last two weeks.

A boss/manager's main role is to set a good example, motivate, guide, mentor and help bring out the best in people. Effective bosses praise in public and "correct" in private. They really know what their employees do and show appreciation for their work - and just appreciate them period.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Thats very true. The boss is using a strategy from Sun Tzu. Tzu's method on the battlefield and in the workplace works wonders.
Sun Tzu's "Art of War" You are one of those bosses. Let me explain, as Paul Harvey would say, "The rest of the Story"

Your Employees are not the enemy. If you perceive them to be, you got bigger problems then this forum can handle.

1: this was written for his generals to defeat another's army, not his own
2: its not about building anything except distrust in the rank and file people. "united we stand divided we fall" No teamwork, no production, no production no sales, no sales no profit
3: all of his teachings are to keep unified structure, even in the "enemies" he defeated, where there he instructed his followers to instill his teachings to change the enemy's beliefs to those of his
4" if you are naive enough to believe that your employees are going to be productive and supportive in an atmosphere such as the one you are purporting to set forth, then you are doomed for financial ruin.
The next time you want to use a following from some ancient chinese leader, get one of your assistants to do the research before you make yourself really look, well, like a boss that doesnt know what he's talking about.

SUN TZU "THE ART OF WAR"
  • Prevent conflicts before they arise
  • Peacefully and quickly resolve conflicts when they do arise
  • Act with courage, intelligence, and benevolence in adversarial situations
  • Convert potential enemies into friends
  • Control your emotions before they control you
Learn effective, spiritual, and compassionate ways to handle conflict and intense competition in your life, and experience clarity of purpose and peace of mind, even in the most trying of circumstances. So if you want to expand your knowledge of Sun Tzu's Art of War, The Art of War

Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Our director (who acts as our boss) does many, many things right. Stands up for us, takes our side, gently redirects or points out what we've done wrong, makes sure we're well-fed, and fights for our best interests all the time. And she somehow does it without being overly abrasive or rude. I would recommend these features to all bosses.

The only thing I have noticed that gets overlooked every single place that I have worked are the 'atta boys.' I understand that your reward for good work is your product and your paycheck, but I think that being thanked or just being told you're doing a good job and that you're appreciated goes a long way, too.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
in all my years as a member here, I recall 3 posts that blew me away-today your post made the 4TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Sun Tzu's "Art of War" You are one of those bosses. Let me explain, as Paul Harvey would say, "The rest of the Story"

Your Employees are not the enemy. If you perceive them to be, you got bigger problems then this forum can handle.

1: this was written for his generals to defeat another's army, not his own
2: its not about building anything except distrust in the rank and file people. "united we stand divided we fall" No teamwork, no production, no production no sales, no sales no profit
3: all of his teachings are to keep unified structure, even in the "enemies" he defeated, where there he instructed his followers to instill his teachings to change the enemy's beliefs to those of his
4" if you are naive enough to believe that your employees are going to be productive and supportive in an atmosphere such as the one you are purporting to set forth, then you are doomed for financial ruin.
The next time you want to use a following from some ancient chinese leader, get one of your assistants to do the research before you make yourself really look, well, like a boss that doesnt know what he's talking about.

SUN TZU "THE ART OF WAR"
  • Prevent conflicts before they arise
  • Peacefully and quickly resolve conflicts when they do arise
  • Act with courage, intelligence, and benevolence in adversarial situations
  • Convert potential enemies into friends
  • Control your emotions before they control you
Learn effective, spiritual, and compassionate ways to handle conflict and intense competition in your life, and experience clarity of purpose and peace of mind, even in the most trying of circumstances. So if you want to expand your knowledge of Sun Tzu's Art of War, The Art of War

Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
I know what you mean, this financial crisis is bringing those bad bosses out now and creating superbad bosses. People need a job now and the boss can do what he wants as he will know that if an employee quits, he or she can write a damming report against that person.
Unfortunately, I know this. My husband is a very hard-working employee. From all the previous jobs he's held, there has never been an unkind word said against his work ethic. His current place of employment is closing next month. Some of the workers (incl. my hubby) are trying to line up other jobs b4 this happens. The owner has been telling other employers that have been inquiring about these workers that they are lousy at their jobs. He's so afraid of a mass exodus of employees b4 he shuts the doors for good. And the way the employees found out this was going on was b/c one of the employers doing the inquiring happen to be a relative of one of the employees & was inquiring about a fellow employee for another position in her company.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,704 times
Moonlight: OMG that's illegal in my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment