Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Boss viewpoint, advice to employees, don’t bring home lives into workplace, take responsibility, hard work pays off, eliminate office gossip, no internet surfing, personal emails, prioritize jobs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I posted another thread today asking if anyone would like to offer advice to their boss. It seemed popular and had varied responses so now I'd like to give the other parties a chance to say what they really think.

If you are a supervisor or manager, would you like to offer some advice to an employee?

Please give an explanation behind the advice you offer so we can see it from your point of view.

Thanks!

MOVIELOVER, where are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
Helloooo.

Don't bring your home lives into the workplace. Ya gotta keep that away! My manager was nearly always on the phone to his wife, saying "I love you" and all that. Made me wanna scream. Keep your mind on the task at hand and don't use excuses that you gotta leave work early for some family time.

Never talk back to the boss, ya don't wanna make him moody. Don't give sarcasm and buzzwords in the consersation!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
"It isn't (wasn't) my fault (responsibility)" should be removed from your vocabulary.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
As from now my manager his in dire trouble. He has done it again and shot his mouth off.

He knows about the new manager and I think this conniving, bigoted bastard is gonna block him too.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
"It isn't (wasn't) my fault (responsibility)" should be removed from your vocabulary.

Excellent!~

Should also be removed from my kids and my spouse's vocabulary!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
Work hard and take responsibility for it and we will treat you like GOLD!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
I've been on both sides of this, so I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Come to work and do your job, please.

1. Stop talking to your friends and family on the phone. Emergencies are one thing but don't abuse the privilage.

2. Do not surf the Internet for fun and check your personal e-mail while on the clock unless you've been given the okay to do so.

3. Please return from your breaks on time. Others manage to do so.

These examples are things that are often noticed by everyone, including your co-workers. Don't be the employee that everyone loves to hate.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Speaking as a BOSS...remember that I was here before you came...and I will be still here after you leave. Steve

Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM

69 posts, read 344,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Standing and applauding!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 AM

451 posts, read 1,228,324 times
Learn how to Prioritize jobs. If management doesn't give 1 ask for it. Make sure its lined up with current goals.

Document everything Make sure we have procedures down for the majority of things that can happen.

Don't hoard information on how to complete process. All of you and including management are replaceable. If everybody has a certain competency of how to do a job we will get more business and more money coming in.

Emergencies do happen just make sure you have a out and what you plan to do when they come up

Who wouldn't' check personal email or ebay or myspace and facebook at work???? Just dont' make it a habit. You have goals and deadlines to meet, if you aren't meeting them web usage will be checked.

Have fun. Find a joke in everything. Share it with your friends. Management may not think its funny, but have a laugh at the expensive of me. Just keep it in our group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment