Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 PM

660 posts, read 1,541,258 times

Advertisements

In the department I work in, I am considered by my manager to be far and away the best employee, but it turns out that my high quality (and it is) of work and willingness to cover shifts for my co-worker is going to bite me in the butt.

Although the manager won't give me the full scoop (she says there are things going on behind the scenes that she can talk to me about, and I respect that), essentially what is happening is that she panicked because the OTHER guy isn't doing the job and has a poor record of attendance.

So, she feels that she needs to cover for this guy, but what has happened is that because we will have three employees in this department, she feels obligated to give the newly hired employee a certain amount of shifts per week, thus leaving me and the other guy with fewer shifts to work.

All while this is going on, I have been covering shifts at other store locations and it turns out that another store further away from my home is looking to hire someone that has the training, experience and attention to quality that I have, and they have their eyes on me. Why? Because they do not want to spend the money to train someone new at this. So, what is happening is that they are wanting me to work at the other store location (which is now 8 miles from home, instead of the 2.5 mile walking distance) on a temporary basis. What I mean by this is that my manager doesn't want to lose me as an employee and refuses to let me transfer to the other store.

She has told me "you can leave here if you want to, but I'm not going to release you to the other store". Which is fine, but it turns out that would be a risky move because -- according to her -- the gig at the other store location would only be temporary until they actually hired someone on a permanent basis there (HUH???).

Therefore, if I quit working for my boss and made the other store location my home base I could possibly end up with NO employment in the end. Yet, my boss is saying that if I elect to stay at her store I will be getting less work per shift "since we have a third employee working during the day you won't have to do as much work at night".

I feel like I am really getting the shaft here, if ever there was a case of "the good guy always loses", this would be it. The manager has told me that "there is no way I'm sending the girl I just hired to that other store because she does not have the experience and training to work in such a high volume" and the other store location (and my manager) has made it clear that they do not want the services of the other guy that works at my store.

All of this is occuring at a time when I stand to win a custody battle and need to prove financial and work schedule stability to the courts. If I could find a comparable job working days I would take it, but my attorney has highly advised that I not change jobs at this time, and one of my managers (on a regional level) has said more than once "I feel badly when my workers complain about not being able to pay their bills, this is why our guys wind up getting other jobs", yet he's not reallly doing all that he can (IMO) to rectify this. In fact I feel like he made things worse by suggesting to my manager at my store that if the third worker is going to be trained for the kind of work that I do, that the girl also needs to work the night shift or the training will be pointless (thanks a lot!)

Anyone else here gone through something like this?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Do whatever is best for your custody issues. Once that is cleared up you can figure out what to do.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Why don't you ask the other store directly if their offer is a permanent one or a temporary one, instead of relying on your current manager's word?

And does the company actually allow one manager to prevent an employee from transferring to another store? Ask the other store, or perhaps contact an HR department, about the company's policy is about transfers, don't rely on your current manager to tell you. Because that manager doesn't sound like they have your best interests in mind. It would be pretty unusual for a company to allow a manager to outright prevent an employee from transferring.

And yes, do what your lawyer tells you is best for custody first, then worry about the job front later.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM

99 posts, read 375,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
In the department I work in, I am considered by my manager to be far and away the best employee, but it turns out that my high quality (and it is) of work and willingness to cover shifts for my co-worker is going to bite me in the butt.

Although the manager won't give me the full scoop (she says there are things going on behind the scenes that she can talk to me about, and I respect that), essentially what is happening is that she panicked because the OTHER guy isn't doing the job and has a poor record of attendance.

So, she feels that she needs to cover for this guy, but what has happened is that because we will have three employees in this department, she feels obligated to give the newly hired employee a certain amount of shifts per week, thus leaving me and the other guy with fewer shifts to work.

All while this is going on, I have been covering shifts at other store locations and it turns out that another store further away from my home is looking to hire someone that has the training, experience and attention to quality that I have, and they have their eyes on me. Why? Because they do not want to spend the money to train someone new at this. So, what is happening is that they are wanting me to work at the other store location (which is now 8 miles from home, instead of the 2.5 mile walking distance) on a temporary basis. What I mean by this is that my manager doesn't want to lose me as an employee and refuses to let me transfer to the other store.

She has told me "you can leave here if you want to, but I'm not going to release you to the other store". Which is fine, but it turns out that would be a risky move because -- according to her -- the gig at the other store location would only be temporary until they actually hired someone on a permanent basis there (HUH???).

Therefore, if I quit working for my boss and made the other store location my home base I could possibly end up with NO employment in the end. Yet, my boss is saying that if I elect to stay at her store I will be getting less work per shift "since we have a third employee working during the day you won't have to do as much work at night".

I feel like I am really getting the shaft here, if ever there was a case of "the good guy always loses", this would be it. The manager has told me that "there is no way I'm sending the girl I just hired to that other store because she does not have the experience and training to work in such a high volume" and the other store location (and my manager) has made it clear that they do not want the services of the other guy that works at my store.

All of this is occuring at a time when I stand to win a custody battle and need to prove financial and work schedule stability to the courts. If I could find a comparable job working days I would take it, but my attorney has highly advised that I not change jobs at this time, and one of my managers (on a regional level) has said more than once "I feel badly when my workers complain about not being able to pay their bills, this is why our guys wind up getting other jobs", yet he's not reallly doing all that he can (IMO) to rectify this. In fact I feel like he made things worse by suggesting to my manager at my store that if the third worker is going to be trained for the kind of work that I do, that the girl also needs to work the night shift or the training will be pointless (thanks a lot!)

Anyone else here gone through something like this?

In my opinion, you need to stop showing all your cards to your current manager. He does not have your best interests at heart, and anything you tell him can and will be used against you.

My advice would be to go talk with the manager of the *other* store, and talk about your experience and how much good you'd be for the other store... and casually mention that your current boss doesn't want to let you go because of how valuable your experience is to him, BUT, if the new store offered you a pay raise to compensate you for the extra distance you'd have to travel, then you'd consider letting them hire you away from your current store

And, of course, don't say even one single word about any of this to the old manager until you have a written offer of permanent full-time employment (with a pay raise) at the new store.

After you have the written offer from the new store, then you can let your current manager have the honor of competing for you: Ask him how much he'd be willing to beat the other store's pay raise offer by, in order to keep you.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM

72 posts, read 368,789 times
Get ready to get fired.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM

qinboxmail, there's no firing about to happen here. Far from it. As stated in my opening post, my services are VERY MUCH appreciated and needed. What has happened is that the other employee is not up to par and they are trying to figure out how to, oh shall I say, 'transition the feller out'. This is why the third employee was hired, to not only fill the needs of other stores in the area, but 'just in case' the other employee ceases employment for one reason or another. There is another sore badly in need of help, and they do not want the services of my co-worker nor is the third employee that was just hired ready for the volume that store puts out. That's why (well, partially why) the third employee is in my store, the sales volume is a little lower. I had another discussion with my secondary manager today and until they figure out what to do with the second employee I'm going to have to cover shifts in different stores. More will become clear in a month, such as my home base will be a different store or there will only be two employees at my current store, but for now I'm just going to roll with the punches.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post
In my opinion, you need to stop showing all your cards to your current manager. He does not have your best interests at heart, and anything you tell him can and will be used against you.

My advice would be to go talk with the manager of the *other* store, and talk about your experience and how much good you'd be for the other store... and casually mention that your current boss doesn't want to let you go because of how valuable your experience is to him, BUT, if the new store offered you a pay raise to compensate you for the extra distance you'd have to travel, then you'd consider letting them hire you away from your current store

And, of course, don't say even one single word about any of this to the old manager until you have a written offer of permanent full-time employment (with a pay raise) at the new store.

After you have the written offer from the new store, then you can let your current manager have the honor of competing for you: Ask him how much he'd be willing to beat the other store's pay raise offer by, in order to keep you.

Your advice is very much appreciated, but it's not really applicable to my situation. I work in a trade where one doesn't have the luxury of negotiating salary. As far as selling my services they've already been sold. The second store has seen my work, my reputation is pretty darn good in this region. It's not rocket science what I do, but the second store knows what I am capable of doing. I wish I had the ability to act as my own agent, if you will (LOL!!!!), but I do not. The second store has no ability to 'hire me away' from the first store. It is entirely up to the manager of the first store as to whether I am 'transferred or not'. That's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion, because the stores have much respect for one another (they exchange supplies when needed and workers cover shifts of other stores). The manager of the first store did say that "you can quit if you want to, but I'm not going to release you to the other store", I can't say I don't feel good hearing that.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
Your advice is very much appreciated, but it's not really applicable to my situation. I work in a trade where one doesn't have the luxury of negotiating salary. As far as selling my services they've already been sold. The second store has seen my work, my reputation is pretty darn good in this region. It's not rocket science what I do, but the second store knows what I am capable of doing. I wish I had the ability to act as my own agent, if you will (LOL!!!!), but I do not. The second store has no ability to 'hire me away' from the first store. It is entirely up to the manager of the first store as to whether I am 'transferred or not'. That's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion, because the stores have much respect for one another (they exchange supplies when needed and workers cover shifts of other stores). The manager of the first store did say that "you can quit if you want to, but I'm not going to release you to the other store", I can't say I don't feel good hearing that.
So quit, and get hired back by the other store.

I do think you are not as much in demand as you'd like to think. You wouldn't be in this situation if that were true. Perhaps you need to reevaluate your position.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM

I am in demand, yes, no doubt about it. I have worked my tail end off to get to this point. If I were not in demand, the shoe would be on the other foot. I'd still be looking at getting my hours cut because of a third employee, but I would not be asked by managers of other stores to cover shifts. In my line of work quality is everything, and it's why I am getting the opportunities I am getting. My fuss isn't about lack of opportunities or the worry of getting fired (because unless hell freezes over that ain't going to happen), it's the dilemma of being so good at what you do that the other employee's services aren't needed by other stores meaning you are the one that is called, and being so good at what you do that your boss becomes unwilling to even let you transfer to another store. But, hey, thanks for the words of encouragement. Quitting in an attempt to get hired at the other store is not a wise move because the manager of the second store doesn't quite know the answer to his/ her problem of having an employee out that was injured but is ready to come back to work. If the manager of that store brought the injured worker back in that person's original spot I will no longer be needed at that store except to cover occasional shifts when someone gets sick or wants a day off. If the manager decides to just hire and train someone else then I will have about two months of work in that store before I would need to come back to my home base. The third option for the manager of the second store is to just hire ME, but as you know my manager says it's not an option.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
So quit, and get hired back by the other store.

I do think you are not as much in demand as you'd like to think. You wouldn't be in this situation if that were true. Perhaps you need to reevaluate your position.
I"m in total agreement. Just got "replaced" at my job of 5.5 years so they could bring someone in at a lower rate, less hours and surely not at my caliber of work. The new hire (who they asked me to train) has already split & someone else brought in. It's all about budget dollars these days.

Do what you need re: custody, stop showing your hand to your boss & realize that your boss is not your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment