Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I remember a decade in a half ago when I first had moved Jacksonville, FL...there were so many call center jobs that it was a walk in sure deal for just about anyone. Companies paid between $10-14 an hour and all was well. It wasn't a ton of money, but it was good steady work for thousands of people just in this one city. When these jobs went overseas....the whole city also suffered. This same scenario occurred all over the county.

I think as American we should stand together and DEMAND these jobs back for our own people. We should refuse to do business with any large company who doesn't comply. Most people would rather be placed on hold longer and at least end up speaking to someone they can understand on the phone to discuss their problem with rather than someone in Manila.
How would we start something? Bring the jobs BACK TO THE US!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
How would we start something? Bring the jobs BACK TO THE US!!!!
Buy stuff that is made in the USA. However, in the long run it won't do much as most people buy whatever is cheapest or provides the most value.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:40 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I hear a lot about the fact that the person giving technical support couldn't help them because their English was bad.
I conduct customer satisfaction surveys for a big telecommunications company.

I don't know how effective letter writing is, calling campaign, etc is but it's worth a shot.

Whenever you have an opportunity to give a company your opinion, please mention this. I may hate my call center job but I am grateful for the job.
If you keep voicing your opinion and they aren't listening, you can always take your business anywhere and make the company aware of exactly why you left the company.

I have nothing against workers in other countries but there are plenty of people in the U.S.A who would love to have these jobs and they will work hard.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Why should we have to pay extra to talk to an English speaking human? That is insane !!!

First off, why should I have to press 1 or any other number for that matter for English. This is my country and the official language is still English. If you cant speak the offical language then it is THEM who should have to press a number. An English speaking person should be automatic.

Second, some of you complained about when a human answers they cant speak English. When were you ever able to get a human to come on? After a half hour of pushing buttons I usually give up. I really think they do that so that people will get so frustrated that they hang up therefore putting less burdon on their call center.

Third, why is it that every company on earth will always have a msg that says to listen carefully as our menu has changed? That menu has not changed since the day the company was born. What's with that?

Forth, is it really safe giving our personal information to some one who gets paid 10 cents per day? The incentive is there to take a bribe to steal personal information for sale. And by doing so the law in the United States is not authorized to persue crimes of that nature outside our borders. I know because it happened to me.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why should we have to pay extra to talk to an English speaking human? That is insane !!!

First off, why should I have to press 1 or any other number for that matter for English. This is my country and the official language is still English. If you cant speak the offical language then it is THEM who should have to press a number. An English speaking person should be automatic.

Second, some of you complained about when a human answers they cant speak English. When were you ever able to get a human to come on? After a half hour of pushing buttons I usually give up. I really think they do that so that people will get so frustrated that they hang up therefore putting less burdon on their call center.

Third, why is it that every company on earth will always have a msg that says to listen carefully as our menu has changed? That menu has not changed since the day the company was born. What's with that?

Forth, is it really safe giving our personal information to some one who gets paid 10 cents per day? The incentive is there to take a bribe to steal personal information for sale. And by doing so the law in the United States is not authorized to persue crimes of that nature outside our borders. I know because it happened to me.
Where to begin:

1st. The official language may be English. Yes. But there are plenty of people here that speak a different language. And, if you press 1, you won't have to hear the other options. Does it bother you that much?

2nd. Usually if you press 0, you can get someone. Or, just kind of wade through the prompts, without pushing something, and someone will pick up.

3rd. They do really change. They make improvements. Do you call enough that you have the menu memorized? Why are you calling places so much?

4th. They do not pay the call center employees there wages that they pay in the US...but.. The employees there are very well paid for their Areas. Call Center work is very desirable in other countries. I used to work for a very large company that had a Call Center in India, and a lot of the reps there live pretty high on the hog, with a maid, nice place, etc

Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM

395 posts, read 1,287,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Where to begin:

1st. The official language may be English. Yes. But there are plenty of people here that speak a different language. And, if you press 1, you won't have to hear the other options. Does it bother you that much?

2nd. Usually if you press 0, you can get someone. Or, just kind of wade through the prompts, without pushing something, and someone will pick up.

3rd. They do really change. They make improvements. Do you call enough that you have the menu memorized? Why are you calling places so much?

4th. They do not pay the call center employees there wages that they pay in the US...but.. The employees there are very well paid for their Areas. Call Center work is very desirable in other countries. I used to work for a very large company that had a Call Center in India, and a lot of the reps there live pretty high on the hog, with a maid, nice place, etc

Very well said.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

I do disagree with them charging customers more to speak with someone in this country.
As for pressing a button to hear English...it doesn't bother me. We have to press buttons for so many other things, why not?
If it bothers you that much, stop calling them and switch to another company that doesn't make you spend 5 seconds of your life hearing, "For English, press 1".

I know some menus change. Places like AT&T may not change that much but say the doctor's office or a really busy office...someone's extension may have change.

Maybe you can write a letter or an email?

Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Where to begin:

Wow you are batting .1000. 4 responses and all 4 times you are wrong.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:45 AM

359 posts, read 1,197,736 times
Call center jobs:

Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,210 times
Why should we have to pay a fee for a job that never should have left this country in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment