Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 21,909 times

Advertisements

At this point you have probably already decided on a school, this post is really for those who may stumble upon this thread. As a graduate of a Paul Mitchell School and former employee, and most currently an employee of a TONI&GUY Hairdressing Academy, I can speak from experience. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Do not simply tour the school and choose the one that is the most appealing on the tour, talk to current and former students. Talk to stylists who have hired the graduates to get an honest opinion of the skill level and professionalism of the school's graduates.

The education at Paul Mitchell varies greatly from that of TONI&GUY. At Paul Mitchell, you go through six or ten weeks (depending on if you are full or part-time) "Core" where you learn the basics. Core is broken down into style week, color week, texture week, cutting week, spa week, and review week. The use of colored, scented markers and colored construction paper to take notes on. I know they have their reasons for this, but I felt like it was a little "Kindergarten". It is a lot of repetition with how the information is presented and mirrored back. After Core you begin your Protege phase where you shadow another student, sweeping up after them, shampooing their guests, mixing color, massaging hands, and other "Salon Assistant" type work. After you complete those two-ish weeks, you move to Adaptive when you start taking guests. Yep, you have basic knowledge of their systems and you are now going to tackle your first guest. It could be a full head of highlights with lowlights and root touch up (as was mine) which you are hopefully prepared to tackle, but not likely. The education at this point and after is broken down similar to core. For two to two and a half hours a day (with the exception of Saturday), one week of the month you will have color class, cutting class, makeup class, or texture class. You also have one hour of theory class every day, the rest of each day is spent taking guest services on the clinic floor or working on your manekin head completing any number of state board required procedures.

Paul Mitchell hires their graduates back very shortly after graduating. As with myself, I was hired only a week after graduating. The rules vary from state to state whether the teachers must be licensed instructors, but in my state, they are not. One of the aspects that the PM schools take much pride in is "Giving Back" which includes A LOT of "FUNraising". Students must participate in the FUNraising efforts which in my opinion, takes away from the very education you are paying for. Giving back is one thing, but short-changing the students is another. While in school, I was asked to head up and plan a carnival for a FUNraising event and to plan it during school hours. A lot of this activity takes place during school hours. Caper is another one where the students can "Earn" their way to free education in Las Vegas that is hosted by Paul Mitchell and is taught by the National Educators. To earn this honor, students must sell between 30 and 60 "bags" of PM product to friends and family for around $30 each. Of course, each school's director stands to gain from how many of their students go to Caper as well as how much money the schools raise during Magic of Memories, that is when the serious FUNraising happens. One school has their students volunteer their Sundays and Mondays to work a concession stand at a pro sports venue to raise money. What do the students get out of their tireless efforts? A day of education with a Paul Mitchell National Educator. That is of course, if their school is of the top money raisers of all of the schools nationwide. Most of the money raised goes to the Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation which originally started out as a charity that would give back to students who were in need, now it goes to rent busses to haul students to Paul Mitchell Education events and to pay Paul Mitchell National Educators to come to the schools for a day of education. All of this seems a little shady to me. To get community involvement (because really, who has ever heard of the Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation), they ride the coattails of the name brand recognition of other celebrity represented charities like the Children's Miracle Network, Betty White's Morris Animal Foundation, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, Fran Drescher's Cancer Schmancer, comedian and motivational speaker Kathy Buckley's No Limits, actress Kristin Bauer's Best Friends Animal Society, and Paul Mitchell Chairman and Co-founder John Paul DeJoria's very own Food 4 Africa. Of the money raised in 2012, here is the breakdown of distribution:

Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation $1, 228,552, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals $250,000, Morris Animal Foundation $170,000, Cancer Schmancer $130,000, Magic Johnson Foundation $130,000, Gary Sinise Foundation $130,000, Food 4 Africa $130,000, No Limits $130,000, Best Friends Animal Society $55,000, Sister Bonnie’s Franciscan Haircuts from the Heart $35,000. SO, who seems to have gained the most from the students efforts? Paul Mitchell Schools Charity. Raising money to give it back to yourself??? Shady indeed! For more information visit [url=http://www.magicofmemories.com]FUNraising[/url]. Notice that the PM charitiy is not listed in the "top recipients to date" area.

Toni&Guy is much different. This is a very education, non fluff focused education. It is broken up (depending on the length of the program) into a different phase each month. Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior (A, B, & C), Senior (A, B, & C), and Salon Ready. Each phase takes a month to complete giving the student something to look forward to each month. Moving to a new phase means a sort of graduation at the end of the previous. Students begin cutting hair on their second day of school (on a mannekin of course) and don't take their first guests until they are in the Junior phase and these are only haircut guests. Students are not forced to tackle what they are not prepared for technically.

Also, the TONI&GUY education allows the student to be much more creative than that which I experienced. Students, at the proper time in the program, are allowed to use ALL skills they have learned, including razor cuts. Paul Mitchell does not allow students to give guest razor cuts or anything "Out of the box". The students sign up for an amazing education at both schools, but in my opinion, the best money is on TONI&GUY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM

44 posts, read 115,464 times
Default Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairStylistMUA View Post
At this point you have probably already decided on a school, this post is really for those who may stumble upon this thread. As a graduate of a Paul Mitchell School and former employee, and most currently an employee of a TONI&GUY Hairdressing Academy, I can speak from experience. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Do not simply tour the school and choose the one that is the most appealing on the tour, talk to current and former students. Talk to stylists who have hired the graduates to get an honest opinion of the skill level and professionalism of the school's graduates.

The education at Paul Mitchell varies greatly from that of TONI&GUY. At Paul Mitchell, you go through six or ten weeks (depending on if you are full or part-time) "Core" where you learn the basics. Core is broken down into style week, color week, texture week, cutting week, spa week, and review week. The use of colored, scented markers and colored construction paper to take notes on. I know they have their reasons for this, but I felt like it was a little "Kindergarten". It is a lot of repetition with how the information is presented and mirrored back. After Core you begin your Protege phase where you shadow another student, sweeping up after them, shampooing their guests, mixing color, massaging hands, and other "Salon Assistant" type work. After you complete those two-ish weeks, you move to Adaptive when you start taking guests. Yep, you have basic knowledge of their systems and you are now going to tackle your first guest. It could be a full head of highlights with lowlights and root touch up (as was mine) which you are hopefully prepared to tackle, but not likely. The education at this point and after is broken down similar to core. For two to two and a half hours a day (with the exception of Saturday), one week of the month you will have color class, cutting class, makeup class, or texture class. You also have one hour of theory class every day, the rest of each day is spent taking guest services on the clinic floor or working on your manekin head completing any number of state board required procedures.

Paul Mitchell hires their graduates back very shortly after graduating. As with myself, I was hired only a week after graduating. The rules vary from state to state whether the teachers must be licensed instructors, but in my state, they are not. One of the aspects that the PM schools take much pride in is "Giving Back" which includes A LOT of "FUNraising". Students must participate in the FUNraising efforts which in my opinion, takes away from the very education you are paying for. Giving back is one thing, but short-changing the students is another. While in school, I was asked to head up and plan a carnival for a FUNraising event and to plan it during school hours. A lot of this activity takes place during school hours. Caper is another one where the students can "Earn" their way to free education in Las Vegas that is hosted by Paul Mitchell and is taught by the National Educators. To earn this honor, students must sell between 30 and 60 "bags" of PM product to friends and family for around $30 each. Of course, each school's director stands to gain from how many of their students go to Caper as well as how much money the schools raise during Magic of Memories, that is when the serious FUNraising happens. One school has their students volunteer their Sundays and Mondays to work a concession stand at a pro sports venue to raise money. What do the students get out of their tireless efforts? A day of education with a Paul Mitchell National Educator. That is of course, if their school is of the top money raisers of all of the schools nationwide. Most of the money raised goes to the Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation which originally started out as a charity that would give back to students who were in need, now it goes to rent busses to haul students to Paul Mitchell Education events and to pay Paul Mitchell National Educators to come to the schools for a day of education. All of this seems a little shady to me. To get community involvement (because really, who has ever heard of the Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation), they ride the coattails of the name brand recognition of other celebrity represented charities like the Children's Miracle Network, Betty White's Morris Animal Foundation, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, Fran Drescher's Cancer Schmancer, comedian and motivational speaker Kathy Buckley's No Limits, actress Kristin Bauer's Best Friends Animal Society, and Paul Mitchell Chairman and Co-founder John Paul DeJoria's very own Food 4 Africa. Of the money raised in 2012, here is the breakdown of distribution:

Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation $1, 228,552, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals $250,000, Morris Animal Foundation $170,000, Cancer Schmancer $130,000, Magic Johnson Foundation $130,000, Gary Sinise Foundation $130,000, Food 4 Africa $130,000, No Limits $130,000, Best Friends Animal Society $55,000, Sister Bonnie’s Franciscan Haircuts from the Heart $35,000. SO, who seems to have gained the most from the students efforts? Paul Mitchell Schools Charity. Raising money to give it back to yourself??? Shady indeed! For more information visit FUNraising. Notice that the PM charitiy is not listed in the "top recipients to date" area.

Toni&Guy is much different. This is a very education, non fluff focused education. It is broken up (depending on the length of the program) into a different phase each month. Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior (A, B, & C), Senior (A, B, & C), and Salon Ready. Each phase takes a month to complete giving the student something to look forward to each month. Moving to a new phase means a sort of graduation at the end of the previous. Students begin cutting hair on their second day of school (on a mannekin of course) and don't take their first guests until they are in the Junior phase and these are only haircut guests. Students are not forced to tackle what they are not prepared for technically.

Also, the TONI&GUY education allows the student to be much more creative than that which I experienced. Students, at the proper time in the program, are allowed to use ALL skills they have learned, including razor cuts. Paul Mitchell does not allow students to give guest razor cuts or anything "Out of the box". The students sign up for an amazing education at both schools, but in my opinion, the best money is on TONI&GUY.

I appreciate your post and found it very helpful. I have been comparing cosmetology programs. I am most impressed with Toni&Guy so far and would love to attend the school in Costa Mesa, CA. However it is an hour commute from my home :/ In your opinion, would an hour commute be too stressful for a cosmetology student? I know schools have pretty strict attendance policies and you can't be late!
I went to Paul Mitchel for Esthetician school and was not very impressed. Do you have any knowledge of Marinello?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 21,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideoflife View Post
I am interested in going to a top cosmetology school because I would like to work in a nice salon in a large city (hopefully LA but maybe San Fran or even NYC for a while?)

My question is, for people who are very serious about cosmetology, and specifically in cutting and dying hair, and who want to work in the high end salons or maybe in the entertainment industry, what is the best school to go to ?

I have looked at Toni & Guy, Aveda Institute, and Paul Mitchell. I am open to any school, as long as that school is very highly regarded. Also, I would prefer LA over other areas of the country.

Thanks!

I will say you should try also the marinello school of beauty

Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 21,256 times
Post t&g

While aveda and paul mitchell are known as the harvard and yale of cosmetology...t&g is the one i chose...i wanted a school that s very highly looked upon...while all 3 are wat stuck out to me was the programs...t&g have more requiremtns to get in but at the same timw they sponsor phoenix fashion week ny fashion week and one out in cali...pm and aveda mainly focus on cosmetology...whie t&g focus on not only making sure you have your license and education but introducing you to connections...they put on fashion shows and hair events...if your trying to move to a high up salon youll need connections...t&g can give you those on top of the advanced education program the have...i haven fully enrolled wih a decision i wanna learn a little more about carsten but im pretty sure t&g are the ones im gonna choose

Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 AM

44 posts, read 115,464 times
Default Toni and Guy

After visiting all the schools. I think Toni and Guy was the most impressive. I would highly recommend it just based on my own personal research and intuition after visiting each school. The attitudes of the students was more positive at Toni and Guy - less complaints. After speaking with students from Paul Mitchell, I wasn't impressed. However, I think it depends on WHICH Paul Mitchell and which area. I can only speak for my area though, because it may be different in other areas/cities. I live near Temecula and every one I've talked to in the cosmetology profession has raved about Toni and Guy over the other programs. It is looked upon much more highly.

I still haven't enrolled in a program yet, because of financial reasons. (I'm hesitant to take out 20,000 in debt right now). I would enroll at Toni and Guy. The only reason I would not enroll at Toni and Guy, is because I would have to commute from Temecula to the OC :-/ Not sure about that at this time because I have a family.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 19,007 times
I'm beyond confused and quiet nervous, I currently live in Michigan, I'm twenty I want to move to Miami only because I want to follow my dream and a cosmetologist. I know in Michigan I heard PM sucks its unprofessional and just terrible things... Aveda is a highly recommended school over here in michigan. I toured both over her and its Aveda hands down. but I dont want to purse my career over here and start my life in Michigan. I'm also at a disadvantage because I wont be able to go down there before signing up. If anyone please could give me some insight 1st hand, and tell me what they think about the schools please contact me IN NEED OF HELP!

Marissa!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 17,969 times
I believe it is all on a school to school basis. Each franchise has good and bad within it's network. I work at a phenomenal Paul Mitchell school. Our graduates are technically solid and professional. We believe in hard work here. We are also committed to being decent human beings. PM schools are definitely NOT for everyone.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 14,225 times
I'm moving to the Daytona Beach area of FL. I'm willing to go to Orlando for a good cut, or even further...

How do I find a really good hair cutter there? My current hair cutter was trained by Paul Mitchell years ago....she knows how to cut hair so it works....so I don't have to fix it to cover up a bad hair cut. I didn't know I had wavy hair before I met her...no one had ever cut it in a way that brought out the wave, that I love.

My Dad was in the hair business, and while growing up, I was often the hair "model" at shows. The best cut I ever had was from Sherman Kendall/Utah...back in the 70's.

I "get" thru this thread that not all PM folks are going to be good like my current cutter. I had plenty of trendy cuts as a kid..I just wanted it straight and parted down the middle I'm not a trendy person. I'm 58, shoulder length layered, not colored hair. I want a cut that works and grows out well. How do I find a Tony & Guy, or good PM person.....or anyone who can just give me a good cut??? Thanks so much!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:23 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Have you tried asking this question in the Florida/Orlando forum? The employment forum really isn't the best place to ask for a stylist.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,320 times
I need HELP. I am trying to decide on a school. I'm in the TX, Fortworth area. I'm torn between Ogle school and Toni&Guy.
I have been recommended both just from family and friends. But I want an over all education, not just "learn enough to pass state tests". Can someone please help and give me some feedback on their experiences of the school you chose?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment