Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,261,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
They think we don't need to eat, I suppose.
I have had this dog my life...I have 2 degrees, one in Education (Masters) and one in English.

There were never any teaching jobs, apart from low low paying preschool that would take a chance on me. Teaching jobs are like gold in many places...it's the magic key to great benefits, wonderful pensions...you know...so these are 'appointee jobs' (please don't kid yourself, it's true).

So..yeah, I have applied for 'low level' jobs...not hired....my husband says to me "You think you're too good for XYZ." Not true....the hiring people think I am 'too educated' or 'a risk' to take their jobs...so...the phone doesn't ring and I am at another Monday saying "WTH to do this week to find a job?"

I wasn't so much blackballed as 'no one was interested' because I don't have connections. So, I have a useless degree that cost me a bundle...it should have brought me all the good things...but after almost 20 years trying...I will probably use it to volunteer tutor (for free) if I ever get the chance...

Hi again!

Been following your posts and I do feel your pain. Education is one of those fields you really have to have some pull.

But I have a suggestion, just thought of you, have you considered Distance learning? We homeschool my son through Distance learning, we mail in asignments, projects, etc, its all graded by licensed teachers. He can also use an 800 number for assistance staffed by these teachers.

There's a ton of them out there, jut google Distance learning. I understand they're always looking for people, but don't know how good the pay is or if its FT or PT, but something to consider

Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,458 times
I am beginning to think I have been blackballed in some way by a major employer in my city, by a previous employer that was once owned by this company. I have applied for several jobs there on my own in different positions for different divisions, have been presented for others by staffing firms, all with no response or feedback, except for once when the hiring manager was interested in speaking with me but he was moved to another project. Finally their recruiters found me on Monster for a position I am perfect for, I made it thru the phone screen and was scheduled for a phoner with the hiring manager, which was cancelled two hours before it happened. The reason given was that they were taking the position in another direction. Am I crazy?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,118,084 times
I hear you Matchgirl.
I've lived here 2 years. My husband got 1 temp job in a week or so of us moving. Then he got his present job within 2 weeks.

Not me. I have had a rough, rough time. Some days I feel blackballed from WORK in general. I keep saying this would be a nice place if only I could get a job!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM

Here's something else to add to this dicsussion---my husband was told by someone he met in a job seekers support group that a certain large high tech firm (is known by 3 letters) that they make it an unwritten policy NOT to hire anyone who's currently unemployed. Which is cutting them out of a large talent pool. Why, I don't know, they just figure if you're unemployed, you're stale, were let go for a reason, whatever.

meanwhile, a lot of highly educated, experienced, talented people are sacking groceries or greeters at WalMart. Unless, of course, you're Indian or Chinese, ever notice they never work in menial positions? The job has to be cost effective fore them to get over here.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 PM

And I agree connections are everything. A college degree, work experience, other resume stuff, like volunteer work, etc, that's just a small part of it.

Face it, they have many applicants for one job, they have to give it to someone, who would you hire, someone you know, or just another "oretty resume"?

That's why social networking is worth its weight in gold. I knew a very ambitious mother, with four children, she barely had the necessities for herself, but she shoehorned her family into an exclusive country club. All her children are successful, one with a thriving dental practice, one with a chain of eye clinics, the other two well-respected professionals. Of course, they had all the right credentials, but so do 1000's of others.

Another guy I know is in a religious organization (Jewish family center, or something like that), he told me he paid $25000 in dues last year, but he and his daughters have very well-paying jobs.

It is about who you know, that's for sure.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
Yep;networking is very real today. With all the problems in actually hiring and asking questions in this politcal correct envoronment its the way to know before you hire now.Talk to someone you know who knows the person and hi/hers work.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 AM

199 posts, read 545,154 times
I've even had the thought that a previous employer might be talking bad about me but I think it's just paranoia. There are few jobs and lots of applicants. Chances are you are not getting blackballed but instead missed because 500 other people applied for the same job.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,363 times
Default Thank you...

It is so nice to hear that I am not alone. I too am a minority and face a double edged sword with regards to being blackballed. I am facing being blackballed because of my education and my race. I have been with my company for 10 years now. It is well known that HR in my company does not allow more than a 10% pay increase for promotions or lateral moves. I have recently gone back to school to obtain a Master's degree related to my area of work. The typical placement for someone with a Master's degree would mean I would command well over 10% of what I am currently making. This has led me to being blackballed in a sense that I know I have no realistic future within my company, and from the side of management, they will not make any attempts to develop me further unless I agree to stay within the range of only asking for 10% more than my current salary. I have even heard of employees leaving my company, and returning months/years later and receiving the same salary they were denied when trying to move up internally. The second blackball I face is racial. I saw previous posts where people were talking about insecurity in interviews. In general, most of my superiors have long work histories, but no formal education. Depending on the field one works in, this may be fine. But in 2009 you want people in your workforce whom are educated and trained with the most recent technology, tools, and processes for that area of work. Decades within a company and nothing else will not get you there. Therefore, when I interview, I feel like people are intimidated by me. I have noticed hiring managers become very insecure when I ask a question they have no idea how to answer. Couple that with being a "visible minority in a 98% white organization" [thank you previous poster for that phrase because it describes my workplace perfectly]; I feel that adds another layer to the intimidation. Add all of these factors and anecdotal stories I have presented and you have my unique example of being blackballed out of your profession. Any help/idea/suggestions on what I should do?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,055,023 times
Gypsy are you a minority or strange in any way when compared to the usual folks in your area of town? I don't know how heavy set you are but they will probably blackball for those reasons too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hear you Matchgirl.
I've lived here 2 years. My husband got 1 temp job in a week or so of us moving. Then he got his present job within 2 weeks.

Not me. I have had a rough, rough time. Some days I feel blackballed from WORK in general. I keep saying this would be a nice place if only I could get a job!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,055,023 times
Hello, that's true when I used to go to interviews I saw some HR managers get green with envy when I told them about my education background. They just hate you if you have a quality education and they don't. You are likely to be blackballed because of envy and management don't want smarties in their office, they want good little sheep and robots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggling77 View Post
It is so nice to hear that I am not alone. I too am a minority and face a double edged sword with regards to being blackballed. I am facing being blackballed because of my education and my race. I have been with my company for 10 years now. It is well known that HR in my company does not allow more than a 10% pay increase for promotions or lateral moves. I have recently gone back to school to obtain a Master's degree related to my area of work. The typical placement for someone with a Master's degree would mean I would command well over 10% of what I am currently making. This has led me to being blackballed in a sense that I know I have no realistic future within my company, and from the side of management, they will not make any attempts to develop me further unless I agree to stay within the range of only asking for 10% more than my current salary. I have even heard of employees leaving my company, and returning months/years later and receiving the same salary they were denied when trying to move up internally. The second blackball I face is racial. I saw previous posts where people were talking about insecurity in interviews. In general, most of my superiors have long work histories, but no formal education. Depending on the field one works in, this may be fine. But in 2009 you want people in your workforce whom are educated and trained with the most recent technology, tools, and processes for that area of work. Decades within a company and nothing else will not get you there. Therefore, when I interview, I feel like people are intimidated by me. I have noticed hiring managers become very insecure when I ask a question they have no idea how to answer. Couple that with being a "visible minority in a 98% white organization" [thank you previous poster for that phrase because it describes my workplace perfectly]; I feel that adds another layer to the intimidation. Add all of these factors and anecdotal stories I have presented and you have my unique example of being blackballed out of your profession. Any help/idea/suggestions on what I should do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment