Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You just described blackballing. It's rude to say the least even if the employee didn't live up to standard. Behind every pathetic employee is an even worse hiring manager and supervisor.

And we all know that there are employers that treat you like crap no matter how good your work is. Let's not be naive.
Not trying to be naive.
But (and I know that this is not scientific) most of the people that I have met that have stated or implied that they were "blackballed" really have turned out not be the "best and brightest" employees in the first place.

Are there companies and people who make an effort to ensure that people they dislike or that have "harmed" them have a difficult time locating work?
Sure.
But most of the companies have a reputation for that kind of BS and most hiring managers know this. At least the GOOD ones.

Don't want to be "black balled?" Research your potential jobs thoroughly and try your hardest to get one w/ a GOOD company. Failing that,stay w/ a bad one until you become good at your job and then jump ship.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,868 times
I am an older driver in my late 50's. I have'nt had any issues aqquiring employment concerning a trucking job due to this DAC background check.I have left some previous employers in the past on not so good of terms.I have 27yrs in the industry. Age and experience may have something to do with getting hired as well as the company you may be applying with. My driving record/ drug screen history/and credit history are sqeaky clean as well. With that be said, I will say that I have been in a since "blackballed" from the industry do to the insurance companies. I have been unemployed for 2.5 yrs and have decided to get back into trucking. Upon telling potential employers this they informed me that the insurance carriers now have a policy that declares that to be considered for employment, you must have at least 1yrs driving otr experience within the past 3yrs. Otherwise they cannot hire you. I don't believe this policy applies to someone right out of driving school though. However. if I had a "green card " this probably would not be an issue at all for me. Hope this was helpful.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Frankly, I think that a lot of people mistake "blackballing" for people spreading the word about how crappy an employee they have been in past work assignments.
Honestly...how much time do most people have to spend during the day making sure that people they don't like don't get hired?
If you have chosen to work (or choose to work) in a profession that has only few jobs available or is geographically limited,then perhaps you've made a poor career choice.
There are a few too many companies and too many vacancies in skilled jobs for companies to make foolish hiring decisions (not that it doesn't happen)
If you have taken a frank look at yourself,your past performances and your career choices and STILL think that you are being "black balled",then perhaps there's some merit to that line of thinking.
But since most people aren't even honest w/ themselves,it's not likely that is what they'll do.
It does happen especially among recruiters who fill most professional positions at least here in the northeast. If you **** one off they seem intent on 'blacklisting' you even if it just out of spite for petty & vindictive reasons

Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morumi View Post
how does one find out if they ve been blackballed? i am a scrub nurse of 30 years and cant find a job. or even an interview.

It is the economy. Employers are cutting staffs, making people do more.

Too many people have gone into healthcare. It has become virtually saturated in some areas. I have talked to some nurses who could not find a job.

Tell these "skools" that keep pouring out the grads, which the employers LOVE this, by the way...to stop it.

I read how people on welfare can go back to college free, no student loan, and most of them are pushed into nursing.

It has become deplorable.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
It does happen especially among recruiters who fill most professional positions at least here in the northeast. If you **** one off they seem intent on 'blacklisting' you even if it just out of spite for petty & vindictive reasons

Have seen that too. Many know it takes a lot to sue someone for a bad reference, etc. One has to prove it kept them from gaining a livelihood or what was said.

So many probably use coded language, or talk privately.

The inflection in someone's voice can tell a lot.

They could answer sarcastically, or say something with a guarded tone too, although I suspect many of these managers or HR people just don't hold back.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times
So you don't use someone who you suspect is holding a grudge. Recruiters are well, unpredictable, to say the least...people on here know how I feel about them. I'm very outspoken on that subject.I would prefer to be waterboarded than use use recruiters.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
I wish people would start naming names. I would love to know which companies treat their people like crap. Then I can take my money elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I was also blackballed at another company several years ago; that company will also remain nameless.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,752 times
Frankly, I feel this way, I have been applying for 1 yr and nothing, I was a good employee, but the new boss did not like me because I was to loyal to my other boss, so I am wondering what is gone one why I am not finding a job, even jobs that I am more than qualify for.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,694 times
I've been blackballed in my industry it's incredibly incestuous. Film and animation. I've been bullied, and sexually harassed. I've had my personal life interfere with professional standing because of flakey viscous friends. I've been pushed out of companies by managers who are incompetent and insecure and think I want their jobs, just on and on. The only thing I can think to do is work for myself, but I am absolutely livid at how things have turned out for me.
I've been unemployed for ages now and I have a company now not giving me a call back that I always got on well with that's hiring for my position. I have no idea how to address any of this it's all whisipers behind my back and you never know who has said what.
I have an amazing resume, and references, but as soon as a rumor mill start going it just doesn't matrer you're just screwed.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:42 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggling77 View Post
It is so nice to hear that I am not alone. I too am a minority and face a double edged sword with regards to being blackballed. I am facing being blackballed because of my education and my race. I have been with my company for 10 years now. It is well known that HR in my company does not allow more than a 10% pay increase for promotions or lateral moves. I have recently gone back to school to obtain a Master's degree related to my area of work. The typical placement for someone with a Master's degree would mean I would command well over 10% of what I am currently making. This has led me to being blackballed in a sense that I know I have no realistic future within my company, and from the side of management, they will not make any attempts to develop me further unless I agree to stay within the range of only asking for 10% more than my current salary. I have even heard of employees leaving my company, and returning months/years later and receiving the same salary they were denied when trying to move up internally. The second blackball I face is racial. I saw previous posts where people were talking about insecurity in interviews. In general, most of my superiors have long work histories, but no formal education. Depending on the field one works in, this may be fine. But in 2009 you want people in your workforce whom are educated and trained with the most recent technology, tools, and processes for that area of work. Decades within a company and nothing else will not get you there. Therefore, when I interview, I feel like people are intimidated by me. I have noticed hiring managers become very insecure when I ask a question they have no idea how to answer. Couple that with being a "visible minority in a 98% white organization" [thank you previous poster for that phrase because it describes my workplace perfectly]; I feel that adds another layer to the intimidation. Add all of these factors and anecdotal stories I have presented and you have my unique example of being blackballed out of your profession. Any help/idea/suggestions on what I should do?
Yes. I'm black and unfortunetely racism does exsist.
My advice is to tone it down a bit in the interview, then once you're hired, be a smart a$$. Trying to impress in the interview is only gonna make them hate you when you clearly know more than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment