Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times

Advertisements

Or if you know someone where, it looks like they have been. I have over 13 years of airline experience. However, the last 6 to 7 times, I've tried to get on with an airline in my home city, I've never got even an interview.
I was with an airline that does not have a good history of worker treatment. I'm also a visible minority. I left them, thanks to settle, a potential discrimination suit (a limited severance package) after 12 years of working for them. I was not allowed, legally to tell anyone why I left. Thanks to that, it's likely that multiple people think that I left thanks to one step from being canned due to something really negative. I had problems, but the punishment in no way fit the crime.
I worked at the same airport for another employer. Basically, in my opinion, the employer I settled with, followed me over there. There's a lot of connections between the two airlines. Since, thanks to someone who threw a tempter tanturm over me saying the S word to myself, over the phone, during an off the clock phone call, I wound up getting fired from that employer only 1 month after I started. They did not think I would fit in their so called family (their family was 98% white, I was the only black in my division, which had about 50 to 60 people).
I'm wondering if anyone has similiar stories. Am I just being totally parinoid? How could I find out, any clever ideas, like through a 3rd party, if this is really going on? What I find so unfair about it, is the agreement I signed, instructed nobody to talk about me leaving, legally. I assume this was even supposed to apply to local management too. I know it's impossible to control everyone though, and sadly, that could be were my cause is lost.
BTW, the 2nd employer, well.....I had attorneys look into that too and they smelled a rat, however, since the job only paid 10 bucks an hour and my next job wound up paying more than that (my previous job paid a lot more than that) they did not feel that there was really anything for me to win financially.
Thanks for your stories. Harassment could be racial or sexual.
Now, I cannot get anyone, in spite of my experience, to even interview me.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I've been blackballed here in the DFW area by a couple of corporations. One I worked for twice (on contract) and left on good/great terms both times. I now see that they need 10 people of my skill set and should be a shoe-in for at least an interview but because of some insecure management and employees because of my experience, past performance, and capabilities, they have apparently taken it upon themselves to whisper in the hiring manager's ear that I'm not the one to hire. Even the agency that submitted my resume stated that it did not make any sense as they are looking for someone with EXACTLY my skill set and experience with the company.

I was also blackballed at another company several years ago; that company will also remain nameless.

People are very insecure about their jobs these days, and the insecurity shows in their hiring practices; they are afraid someone more competent will come in and take their job.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Oh so that's the reason why the hiring managers were so weird and agitated when I interviewed with them for low end positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I've been blackballed here in the DFW area by a couple of corporations. One I worked for twice (on contract) and left on good/great terms both times. I now see that they need 10 people of my skill set and should be a shoe-in for at least an interview but because of some insecure management and employees because of my experience, past performance, and capabilities, they have apparently taken it upon themselves to whisper in the hiring manager's ear that I'm not the one to hire. Even the agency that submitted my resume stated that it did not make any sense as they are looking for someone with EXACTLY my skill set and experience with the company.

I was also blackballed at another company several years ago; that company will also remain nameless.

People are very insecure about their jobs these days, and the insecurity shows in their hiring practices; they are afraid someone more competent will come in and take their job.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:54 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
People talk a lot more than you think.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Oh so that's the reason why the hiring managers were so weird and agitated when I interviewed with them for low end positions.
They think we don't need to eat, I suppose.
I have had this dog my life...I have 2 degrees, one in Education (Masters) and one in English.

There were never any teaching jobs, apart from low low paying preschool that would take a chance on me. Teaching jobs are like gold in many places...it's the magic key to great benefits, wonderful pensions...you know...so these are 'appointee jobs' (please don't kid yourself, it's true).

So..yeah, I have applied for 'low level' jobs...not hired....my husband says to me "You think you're too good for XYZ." Not true....the hiring people think I am 'too educated' or 'a risk' to take their jobs...so...the phone doesn't ring and I am at another Monday saying "WTH to do this week to find a job?"

I wasn't so much blackballed as 'no one was interested' because I don't have connections. So, I have a useless degree that cost me a bundle...it should have brought me all the good things...but after almost 20 years trying...I will probably use it to volunteer tutor (for free) if I ever get the chance...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Gossip, rumors and outright lies perpetrated by jealous, insecure people can really hurt a person's reputation, especially if the field is one wh/ I call "incestuous" - i.e., very connected, people switch from one company to another w/in that field, lots of crossing of paths at seminars, etc.

The Airline industry is a good example of that type of "inbred" society as is healthcare. One mean-spirited person - dropping hints and insinuations - can really screw things up.

Certain industries are like small towns - everyone is connected in some way - and bad news travels fast. Unfortunately, people assume "where there's smoke, there's fire." However, I have found that one should consider the source - and wise HR people, as well as managers - should do the same. People can have ulterior motives for blackballing someone else. In addition, cruel rumors should never be repeated as if the person has firsthand knowledge about the situation. Just b/c "someone said" xxxx . . . that doesn't mean it is TRUE.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I say, if you haven't been screwed out of a psychiatric RN job, you must be doing something wrong.
Fortunately, I got it over with after only three years of work. Due to my unusual last name (and the surprisingly incestuous nature of the business in this big city), the rumors about my repuation (not pt. care related) followed me. I think. No one would say, but I know I got screwed a couple of more times when I had other jobs.
I don't know if it happens as much in other, less... psych-y... parts of healthcare. But I've seen it too much in my corner of the world to think it's my imagination, and it's never been about my attention to legal details, medical and pt. practice, orders, or pt. care or any of the things I was led to think mattered.
But hey, if you're not one of the girls, it's just not gonna fly in some circles. See Under: Why a lot of us work nights.
By the way, anyone reading this would be very happy with my practice and care if they or a loved one needed it. Really.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 21,475 times
Default blackballed

how does one find out if they ve been blackballed? i am a scrub nurse of 30 years and cant find a job. or even an interview.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:45 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I haven't exactly been blackballed but my whole industry tanked and the few jobs available are certainly going to those who "curryed favor" with the powers that be.

My other issue is the age one, the few interviews I've been on it was apparent that I was not going to be hired because I was 20+ years older than anyone in the office and impossible to prove.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
They think we don't need to eat, I suppose.
I have had this dog my life...I have 2 degrees, one in Education (Masters) and one in English.

There were never any teaching jobs, apart from low low paying preschool that would take a chance on me. Teaching jobs are like gold in many places...it's the magic key to great benefits, wonderful pensions...you know...so these are 'appointee jobs' (please don't kid yourself, it's true).

So..yeah, I have applied for 'low level' jobs...not hired....my husband says to me "You think you're too good for XYZ." Not true....the hiring people think I am 'too educated' or 'a risk' to take their jobs...so...the phone doesn't ring and I am at another Monday saying "WTH to do this week to find a job?"

I wasn't so much blackballed as 'no one was interested' because I don't have connections. So, I have a useless degree that cost me a bundle...it should have brought me all the good things...but after almost 20 years trying...I will probably use it to volunteer tutor (for free) if I ever get the chance...
This is SO TRUE. Elementary teachers have never enjoyed a good job market. It seems like before the recession began, the job market for elementary teachers was very poor. Now that the recession has started, the job market is nonexistent. When I graduated from college in 2004, the only place that would hire me was a bordertown in Arizona.

I worked at three schools that were ran very poorly. I had one administrator who didn't like me because I was young. I hurried to resign so I wouldn't get fired. This administrator had the reputation of firing on a whim. I worked at one school that had probably as many discipline problems as an inner city school. At the last school I worked at, I was told that my contract wouldn't be renewed because the adminstrator wanted to fire a bunch of people. They fired 10 fairly recently. None of them deserved it.

I would say I have been blackballed out of my profession, but then again the job market for elementary teachers has gone from poor to nonexistent. I am not really sure I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment