Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,118,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Gypsy are you a minority or strange in any way when compared to the usual folks in your area of town? I don't know how heavy set you are but they will probably blackball for those reasons too.
No, I'm from NY, they probably don't like that.
I'm not very heavy, really. (about 30lbs) never think that is why I can't get a job, never stopped me...I am not one who thinks you have to be a stick to get a job...

Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,610 times
If someone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Not sure where to do or what to do about this as well. I busted my tail to get through school a couple of years ago. I was working on my associates degree in Applied Science with a Major in Surgical Technology. During this time, I had to do externships for this and had chosen to go to a hospital in Northern Michigan for the majority of the 20 week externship. During the time I was there, I was treated very disrespectfully by the crew and this was allowed for some reason, including an indident where a preceptor slapped my hand. Even through all that, they still wanted me after I graduated from college. Against my beter judgement I went back there to work as an employee. Working as a surgical tech is a dificult enough job without the harrassment of other techs, but this was continuously allowed. The backstabbing, the gossip and the arrogant attitudes among the staff made working for this company absolutely horrendous! As time wore on, I was definitly thinking about leaving on my own to pursue another hospital...till...an incident involving a surgeon who didnt folow protocol on a case where a needle wasnt found and an incompetant RN circulator who didnt get on the ball and call Xray as soon as possible and the XRAY department that MISSED the needle till we were already closed! 3 screwups on their part...I demanded the surgeon stop, I told the RN 3 times to call for xray and was ignored. So...after all that....no one asked for a meeting...not my manager, not the RN...no one. There is always supposed to be a meeeting when an event happens like that....well, needless to say...I WAS BLAMED FOR THE WHOLE THING...No one asked me what happened...I was just taken into the office and told I was back on probationary period with a preceptor again. I accepted this....and said..ok, well I will do this as long as no one knows what is going on. they agreed to that...by the next day....EVERY ONE IN THE OR KNEW. What happened to right to privacy? For the next 3 months, I was harrassed by other coworkers to the point that I went home crying most of the time, went back on antidepressants, and didnt want be there anymore. My boss was receiving bs lies for other staff that had issues with me from the beginning and in the end was told it would be best if I just simply quit. So, frankly...I did. I had had enough! Since that time, I havnt been able to work as a surgicl tech since. I have had a couple interviews , but it has been over a year~No one want to hire me and I think I may have been blackballed from my job that I worked so hard for. Im not sure exactly what I can do about this...but please...if any of you know what I can do about this...please let me know. Do I need a lawer, where do I go from here????? Im homeless now, living with my mother. Lost my home, my car.....EVERYTHING. My direct email is redindia2@yahoo.com.....an advise would be helpful!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,055,023 times
Are you an ethnic or racial minority ? You probably faced discrimination which is hard to prove in court but you know what happened and we all know society isn't a game of candy land. It most likely isn't blacklisting. Discrimination if you have darker color of skin, an accent, or different last name than that of the group or administration etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortybikergirl View Post
If someone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Not sure where to do or what to do about this as well. I busted my tail to get through school a couple of years ago. I was working on my associates degree in Applied Science with a Major in Surgical Technology. During this time, I had to do externships for this and had chosen to go to a hospital in Northern Michigan for the majority of the 20 week externship. During the time I was there, I was treated very disrespectfully by the crew and this was allowed for some reason, including an indident where a preceptor slapped my hand. Even through all that, they still wanted me after I graduated from college. Against my beter judgement I went back there to work as an employee. Working as a surgical tech is a dificult enough job without the harrassment of other techs, but this was continuously allowed. The backstabbing, the gossip and the arrogant attitudes among the staff made working for this company absolutely horrendous! As time wore on, I was definitly thinking about leaving on my own to pursue another hospital...till...an incident involving a surgeon who didnt folow protocol on a case where a needle wasnt found and an incompetant RN circulator who didnt get on the ball and call Xray as soon as possible and the XRAY department that MISSED the needle till we were already closed! 3 screwups on their part...I demanded the surgeon stop, I told the RN 3 times to call for xray and was ignored. So...after all that....no one asked for a meeting...not my manager, not the RN...no one. There is always supposed to be a meeeting when an event happens like that....well, needless to say...I WAS BLAMED FOR THE WHOLE THING...No one asked me what happened...I was just taken into the office and told I was back on probationary period with a preceptor again. I accepted this....and said..ok, well I will do this as long as no one knows what is going on. they agreed to that...by the next day....EVERY ONE IN THE OR KNEW. What happened to right to privacy? For the next 3 months, I was harrassed by other coworkers to the point that I went home crying most of the time, went back on antidepressants, and didnt want be there anymore. My boss was receiving bs lies for other staff that had issues with me from the beginning and in the end was told it would be best if I just simply quit. So, frankly...I did. I had had enough! Since that time, I havnt been able to work as a surgicl tech since. I have had a couple interviews , but it has been over a year~No one want to hire me and I think I may have been blackballed from my job that I worked so hard for. Im not sure exactly what I can do about this...but please...if any of you know what I can do about this...please let me know. Do I need a lawer, where do I go from here????? Im homeless now, living with my mother. Lost my home, my car.....EVERYTHING. My direct email is redindia2@yahoo.com.....an advise would be helpful!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 6,963 times
Yes- there is no doubt that blackballing happens in every industry to many people. However, I want to test the system and see if the black list extends internationally. Has anyone thought about working abroad? Has anyone done successful research on the subject? If so, please respond. There have to be job markets for qualified, educated people somewhere that is not tainted by the rumor mill spawned by insecure (possibly less qualified) people.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 25,208 times
Default It's true

Politics are so pervasive in education, that if I had known this - I would not have wasted years and thousands of dollars on an education degree. Even when you excel at your job, students learn and scores are great, politics, racism, reverse discrimination, age discrimination, sex discrimination, and plain old jealousy and meanness - can wreck a career. Stay of education if you can. It's a low-paying nightmare.

If your contract gets non-renewed, apply for unemployment. You will qualify. Appeal if the school district has the audacity to imply that you committed gross negligence. Not doing to their satisfaction is just their opinion. Start working on a certification or degree in medicine! You know that your perseverance will be rewarded!

I'm sorry, chickadee.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 13,192 times
Man I can't believe this is happening in today's society, I work for the Canadian Federal Governmen in Sudbury (Revenue Canada) and I got black balled by my native boss (sqwa) Don't want to say nothing to our indiginous people they are the pride of our nation. So now I'm unemployed and I'm sure she's laughing like a pig in mud. I was forced to quit after 10 years of service, that's all they offered me was a 3 month contract without a chair to sit in.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 13,192 times
Default Being Black balled

I think it's time to fight back against these people, I'm not saying we should stock them or any thing like that but we in term should make their lives myserable too.

Just because were smarter and we are harder workers and they fear that they may be recognized as lazy and doing every thing backwards as they really do. I think we should fight fire with fire.

We could meet them at their local pub, spill beer all over them and say, "gee, I didn't mean to black ball, I mean spill that all over you.

Or go to their local coffee shop and spill a hot cup of coffee on them and say the same as above. It's not eligal, it's an accident.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 AM

3 posts, read 10,590 times
Speakinf of blackballing, here's a field I considered getting into but decided not to due to constant blackballing...truck driving.

When one applies for a trucking job, they run what is called a DAC report. If you left a trucking job on bad terms, that goes on your DAC report, which means you can kiss driving an 18-wheeler goodbye. I could understand if it was for failing a drug test or causing an accident, but from what I hear, getting a bad DAC report isn't hard to do, often for something petty like making a dispatcher mad at you.

Any current or former truckers out there who would like to comment on this?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 AM

470 posts, read 1,158,238 times
Frankly, I think that a lot of people mistake "blackballing" for people spreading the word about how crappy an employee they have been in past work assignments.
Honestly...how much time do most people have to spend during the day making sure that people they don't like don't get hired?
If you have chosen to work (or choose to work) in a profession that has only few jobs available or is geographically limited,then perhaps you've made a poor career choice.
There are a few too many companies and too many vacancies in skilled jobs for companies to make foolish hiring decisions (not that it doesn't happen)
If you have taken a frank look at yourself,your past performances and your career choices and STILL think that you are being "black balled",then perhaps there's some merit to that line of thinking.
But since most people aren't even honest w/ themselves,it's not likely that is what they'll do.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 AM

25,146 posts, read 54,055,023 times
You just described blackballing. It's rude to say the least even if the employee didn't live up to standard. Behind every pathetic employee is an even worse hiring manager and supervisor.

And we all know that there are employers that treat you like crap no matter how good your work is. Let's not be naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Frankly, I think that a lot of people mistake "blackballing" for people spreading the word about how crappy an employee they have been in past work assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment