Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 PM

30 posts, read 71,850 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]Anybody else has one? There's ad in the local greensheet about company paid training for a CDL so I went ahead filled out an app online. They called me already telling me someone will get a hold of me with more info. I decided I needed a change in career so I went ahead and did it. Also I couldn't pass up the chance. The only fear I have is that I'm coming from a job that is pretty sercure to a job that I'm unsure of, but I know I'll be making a whole lot more money. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmike View Post
[SIZE=2]Anybody else has one? There's ad in the local greensheet about company paid training for a CDL so I went ahead filled out an app online. They called me already telling me someone will get a hold of me with more info. I decided I needed a change in career so I went ahead and did it. Also I couldn't pass up the chance. The only fear I have is that I'm coming from a job that is pretty sercure to a job that I'm unsure of, but I know I'll be making a whole lot more money. [/SIZE]
The company will get you the CDL and probably make you sign a contract with them that you will remain employed with them for a certain time (usually a year) or you will pay them the cost of your training on a pro rated basis (usually $3500 or so).
I would suggest that you really think about doing this- especially if it is over-the-road where you are away from home most all the time. They have a very high rate of turnover for a reason- people get tired of it rather quickly. And it does not pay all that much. You are limited to the hours you can drive and you are paid by the mile. So if you ran into a massive traffic jam (an everyday thing in Atlanta) and it takes you 2 hours to go 21 miles, you lose.
All that said, my uncle in law does the job and has his own truck and he makes a decent living at it. Although he gets about 5 days a month with his family, they live good lives and have a nice home in the suburbs. One of the things he does alot of is to sleep during the day and do most of his driving at night so he can avoid traffic and maximize his miles (and pay).

Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Driving a tractor trailer? Sure you get more money! You also have more expenses for your rig. Company doesn't always pay all those. Don't know how much driver's license fees are in Texas but I think it's $20 here for 4 years. If you get a CDL it goes to $50 and you have a required CDL physical every 2 years. You have to show the physical certificate before you get your license.
Be VERY CAREFUL checking on jobs through ads like that. You will have to be able to get the kind of truck you'll be driving to practice and take your test. I lucked out. I was working for the highway department already when CDLs took effect and we were all grandfathered in, as far as the driving part. I met a man who paid his own way through truck driving school. They are all over the place. He said he paid full price and found out there were several men there who got grants.
Good luck!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 PM

One good thing is that I don't have a family right now. Also that is the catch I have to be with the company in order for them to pay for it. And what does a CDL physical mean?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:27 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,003 times
You need a D.O.T physical card in order to drive a truck. My advice will be don't do it. It may sound good in the ad,but it's not. It's better to pay for the license yourself or apply for a grant thru the unemployment office. If you live in texas apply at a solid waste company,my company(republic/allied waste) hiring big time in texas. You will not make alot of money driving OTR. If you want to drive big rig try to work at ups in the LTL

Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 PM

The company I will be working for is Steven's Transport if I go through with it. I'm sure when they do call me we will talk more about the company and what I'll be doing.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Gmmike, you need a LOT more advice than you can get on this forum!!! I've been a trucker for the past 13 years and, like you, got into it as a second career. It's a VERY difficult life and the turnover rate at most large truckload carriers is well over 100%. Many get into trucking without truly understanding what it involves. It is a whole lifestyle, not a job. I assume you mean the Stevens Transport out of Texas? They are a refrigerated carrier and, IMHO, I'm glad I started with (and have stayed with) a dry van carrier my whole career. I'm sure you'll get an argument from flatbed and reefer drivers, but I believe beginners have enough to worry about without having to deal with load securement (flat beds) and grocery warehouses( reefers). I truly love trucking but it's definitley not an easy way to earn a buck. And it's surely not for everybody...

My personal opinion is that paying for your own CDL training at a vo-tech or community college is the best way to get CDL training. There are companies that will train you at their expense. But if you sign up with them, you become their "indentured servant" until your school debt is repaid (they have a right to get their investment back...) However, if for whatever reason, you don't finish your obligation, they generally make you pay back a pretty hefty fee. (A community college course would be cheaper)

The dirty secret about truckload carriers is that they pay by the mile. Which means you run your wheels off if there is freight. And they want you to sit for free (or VERY close to it) when there is no freight. You also lose money for ANY kind of delay; waiting to get dispatched, waiting to load, waiting to unload, traffic weather and maintenance issues. My frustration with the over-the-road fleets is that my income was never consistent. I'd have a couple of really good weeks then the next week I'd trash around in someplace like New Jersey or New Mexico, waiting for a load and going broke. Running OTR is a good way to gain entry to the trucking industry. Buit it doesn't pay that well or that consistently. Living on the road is VERY expen$$$ive!

The sad fact is, with this economy, trucking companies are really feeling the pain. Many have closed their schools and refuse to hire students since there are a LOT of experienced drivers that have been laid off from other companies or have gone broke owning their own rig!!! So, as a beginner, you're pretty much just VERY cheap labor. Nothing personal, but that's just a sad fact in trucking. Especially right now.

Best of luck! Here's a great resource: OWNER-OPERATOR INDEPENDENT DRIVERS ASSOCIATION - REPRESENTING TRUCKERS

Old 02-15-2009, 01:57 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmike View Post
One good thing is that I don't have a family right now. Also that is the catch I have to be with the company in order for them to pay for it. And what does a CDL physical mean?
DOT Physical exam is where the doctor checks your blood pressure,pulse,takes your height/weight,urine test,hernia check,checks your eyes,ears,etc. Mine took no more than 10 minutes. The card is valid for up to 2 years and you must carry it with you anytime you are driving a commercial vehicle.

Why don't you get your CDL B first? A lot cheaper than getting a CDL A if your going through the driving school route.

I agree with Mr.Whips about the waste management industry,it is fairly recession-resistant. Local CDL jobs are the way to go in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:05 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,003 times
Another way to get a class B CDL is to sign a 8 month contract with a school bus service. They will train you and let you use their bus to take the test.

There were a few guys who had permits who started with us. The company let them drive the truck for a month and let them use a the garbage truck for their test.

You want make alot of money in the south driving garbage trucks,but its a way to get in and transfer north for better pay.

Just like Crew cheif said freight isn't doing good right now.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,510 times
Local jobs are the way to go, however they also require at least 1 year experience and have waiting lists of drivers that want to get out of OTR driving.
No way out of going OTR for 99.999% of new drivers.
As said before the best way to get your CDL is pay for your training yourself either private school or local community college. Either way you will have to stay at the first job you get for at least 6 months before you will get anyone to consider hiring you.
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment