Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
My personal opinion is that paying for your own CDL training at a vo-tech or community college is the best way to get CDL training. There are companies that will train you at their expense. But if you sign up with them, you become their "indentured servant" until your school debt is repaid (they have a right to get their investment back...) However, if for whatever reason, you don't finish your obligation, they generally make you pay back a pretty hefty fee. (A community college course would be cheaper)
This is the route I went. I payed $980 and went to vo-tech for about 10 weeks. You get more intense and better training, (I had to log 1000 miles with an instructor) before I got my CDL. When I got out I didn't owe anybody anything and I went to work for Swift. You are going to have to go out with a trainer for 6 weeks for crap pay ($350-$500 a week) after that your on your own and getting paid by the mile. My trainer was bringing home $1300, he had a regional dedicated route (5 states) and he was home every Sat and Sun.

I would go for it, I have neighbors in FL who didn't have a pot to pee in, virtually homeless. They got there CDL's ran as a husband/wife team lived in the truck for 3 years and ran hard. Now they have a house and 2 brand new cars paid for....cash, don't owe anyone anything. They still run as hard as they can.

I'd be out driving right now doing the same thing, but I have young kids at home. It gets in your blood, I wish I were still doing it but I screwed up and left the truck,(got in an argument with my trainer week 5) and took a bus home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmike View Post
One good thing is that I don't have a family right now. Also that is the catch I have to be with the company in order for them to pay for it. And what does a CDL physical mean?
Your going to be examined by a doctor but in addition to that the company will probably send you to a hospital and run you through some physical fitness tests as well. Swift sent us to the hospital and the staff will put monitors on you and you'll have to do stuff like pick up wieghts and put them on shelf,and walk with weights with your arms extended.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Local jobs are the way to go, however they also require at least 1 year experience and have waiting lists of drivers that want to get out of OTR driving.
No way out of going OTR for 99.999% of new drivers.
As said before the best way to get your CDL is pay for your training yourself either private school or local community college. Either way you will have to stay at the first job you get for at least 6 months before you will get anyone to consider hiring you.
Best of luck.
Local jobs are better than OTR IMO,but for 99.999% of newbies not obtaining a local gig is false.I'm proof and the other 5 or 6 guys straight out of school that got hire over OTR drivers in the company I work for.

Buying your own CDL is the best way to go,but some people don't have the 2k or 3k to pay for schooling.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 PM

30 posts, read 71,875 times
Well thanks everyone for the advice. I would go to school for it but about several years ago I was going to an automotive school but had to quit because of money issues so that left me in debt and now they are taking money away on every paycheck also they took all money from my tax refund. Now I kinda have no choice in going this route.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
The trucking industry is having a rough time right now. Many companies are laying off and letting their students go without having to continue out the contract. My hubby has been a tractor trailer driver for over 15 years and has lost 2 jobs this last year. He was lucky enough to land one for the moment but the other guys that got laid off with him are still looking for a job. You will hear a lot of drivers talking about sitting for a long time waiting for a load (in which you do not get paid for).

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 AM

359 posts, read 1,197,736 times
Truck driving school is VERY expensive! I use to work with somebody who acquired a CDL license and he told me that truck driving school costs around $2,000-$5,000 (based on the school).

Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,522 times
Good Luck to you. My husband was a truck driver for about 12 years. He just gave it up last december. Why? One he was burned out from it....Two...too many hours wasted sitting and waiting for a load. These companies keep hiring and hiring..but with the recession the product (loads) are slowing down. People cant afford to ship/buy/sell this stuff. Which means the trucking companies drop their rates to ship it...which means drop in payment to you. Sure the sign on bonuses look amazing...but you get that over a course of 9 months to a year. My husbands last employer...a very high rated company, had him sitting the majority of a week. At one time...we had 12 of their trucks sitting in a truck stop waiting on loads. And that was on a good day. And whatever you do...dont do "lease Purchase" programs. You will sink fast.
Good Luck in your career change.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Gmmike, there's a LOT of great advice in these posts! Trucking is truly a love-it-or-hate-it deal. As Xlabel says, it can truly get into your blood! But it takes a really special person to put up with all that the job demands. Forget all the slick ads and the drop-dead-gorgeous women recruiters; the job is mostly a grind that can really wear on you if you let it.

Now, the thing that keeps me here is: it's a different challenge every day. There's far more to trucking than driving down a scenic highway. Working your way into a dock that was designed for trucks back in the 1950's. Dealing with a difficult shipper or consignee. Trying to make the hours you have available fit the run you have to make. Dealing with maintenance issues a thousand miles from home. And so on. Nobody else in our indsutry truly seems to understand what it's like behind the wheel unless it's another driver!

Vantastic10, Mr. Whips and RedNC have it right, IMHO. A dedicated regional or local run is the way to make consistent money. (And I DEFINITELY wouldn't turn my nose up at waste management!) No, it's not the wide variety of scenery you'll get running 48 states. but it keeps you close to home and the pay seems to be a little more consistent. I'm currently on a dedicated retail account. I'm home every day and off two days a week. I run harder now than when I ran a sleeper truck. but this gig really works for me. And that's the secret to trucking; find a niche you enjoy that provides steady work.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,522 times
Crew Chief is right...its either a hate/love relationship. Theres good and bad in the trucking industry. If you have never experienced trucking before...i would highly suggest to talk to other truckers like the ones on here. They wont sugar coat it like the recruiters will. And they will, mark my word. You cant go into it looking at just the money side of it.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
You cant go into it looking at just the money side of it.
There's money in trucking??? Seriously, thanks for the support!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-17-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment