Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just like I said, Companies don't like receiving a FLOOD OF RESUMES so they rather not advertise they need to fill a position. That's when that opening becomes hidden. That's why Job seekers have to ATTACK the Hidden job market.
Ok, let's try this again.

First, How will a company fill a position that is open if the position itself, is hidden? Posting a job on their own company website, and not on Monster, does not make a job hidden.

Second, How do you "attack" the hidden job market? If you or someone else is able to find a job opening at a company - then it's not quite "hidden" is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,889 times
Employers generally use a key word search when reviewing resumes so they would like as many candidates as possible. Why would any employer want to hide their openings?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:55 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
One of the ways you get a 'not so hidden' job is if you happen to send a resume to company X and that day a guy gave notice or they fired someone. Maybe they didn't post the job yet and your resume just happened to show up.

I don't believe in sitting on your butt, but I know first hand from speaking with several business owners in the last few days that they have had hiring freezes, zero growth (so there were no jobs), and winter (for a few) was just slow.

The thing about networking, yes, if you have Cousin Larry at Company X and he knows Mr. Slate needs a new foreman and you happen to be a foreman, he can recommend you before the job goes public. Otherwise, how can you expect your friends and family to 'find you a job' and 'get angry when they don't.' Approaching every person you come across and saying "I need a job.' seems a bit needy to me. Yes, you MAY get something but why should "Joe, your garbage man" or "Annie, your hair dresser, care if you need a job?"

Bottom line--
Sometimes jobs just do not exist....

Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Ok, let's try this again.

First, How will a company fill a position that is open if the position itself, is hidden? Posting a job on their own company website, and not on Monster, does not make a job hidden.

Second, How do you "attack" the hidden job market? If you or someone else is able to find a job opening at a company - then it's not quite "hidden" is it?

You should know the answer to both of those questions. And why would it be on Careerbuilder or Monster if it's hidden? If you are a creative thinker you can find jobs that are not advertised. That's a fact.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by resumewriter View Post
Employers generally use a key word search when reviewing resumes so they would like as many candidates as possible. Why would any employer want to hide their openings?

I already stated because they want to cut down on all the resumes that come in. They want to fill the position with going through hundreds of resumes.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
TV&SG, you're leaning a new job search secret here. People don't do the initial resume sort for key words. Software does it. Employers are happy to have a "flood of resumes." They simply run their keyword software against the submitted applications and it IDs, theoretically, qualified candidates who have used terms that match key qualifications for the position. Also see SEO (Search Engine Optimization.) Same general principle.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Recently, I was reading an article about "Hidden Jobs." According to the article, there are thousands of jobs out there that are never advertised on the traditional career sites such as Careerbuilder or Monster. The well known companies often post on their own website and get inundated with resumes and therefore have no need of other career sites.

The article suggested that people should utilize career networking sites such as ZoomInfo or LinkedIn to find out about these unadvertised jobs. Sorry, I can't find the link to the article now or I would post it.

Anyhow, maybe it is just me but I have yet to find the Networking sites helpful. Perhaps they are helpful for certain types of jobs. IMO, the average person will find a job through other means.

What do you think?
Have you had success with a networking site?
What career field are you in?

I agree the tried and true ways of finding a job are still the tried and true. When I was young there were the obvious employers with big buildings and big signs. You would go into the H.R. or Personell Dept. and fill out an application.

Now you have to find out about the big companies in your city by asking or walking or driving by.

Now, you go to their website and fill out an application or a standardized resume with the option of attaching your resume.

Companies make you fill out these standardized resumes, because it makes it easy for them to extract information, but it is truly annoying after you have spent days and hours creating your resume and cover letter.

Or you can make up your list of companies and mail them your resume, which is still acceptable.

Or you can go to the middleagents who host jobs on their employer-fee collecting websites and find jobs there to apply to or just post your resume on.

Or you can look in the newspaper. In Philadelphia the classified section sucks, but in Portland, Or, the classifieds were both in the newspaper and online. By the way they have a very user friendly classified section, which is much better than Philadelphias. Or you can look in your neighborhood newspaper, since many small businesses still publish there.

Then there are the many small business, which still accept walk-in job applications.

Or you can sign up with job staffing agency. This is a good idea, since they have a large part of the temp to perm market. Many large and small employers use staffing agencies and in my estimation about 500 percent increase compared to the 1980's.

Or you can have a friend or relative get you an interview, which is always the fastest way of getting a job! ;-)

or you (in last resort, i think) pay an agency to find a job for you! ;-(

Last edited by gea12345; 04-02-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I agree the tried and true ways of finding a job are still the tried and true. When I was young there were the obvious employers with big buildings and big signs. You would go into the H.R. or Personell Dept. and fill out an application.

Now you have to find out about the big companies in your city by asking or walking or driving by.

Now, you go to their website and fill out an application or a standardized resume with the option of attaching your resume.

Companies make you fill out these standardized resumes, because it makes it easy for them to extract information, but it is truly annoying after you have spent days and hours creating your resume and cover letter.

Or you can make up your list of companies and mail them your resume, which is still acceptable.

Or you can go to the middleagents who host jobs on their fee collecting websites and find jobs there to apply to or just post your resume on.

Or you can look in the newspaper. In Philadelphia the classified section sucks, but in Portland, Or, the classifieds were both in the newspaper and online. By the way they have a very user friendly classified section, which is much better than Philadelphias. Or you can look in your neighborhood newspaper, since many small businesses still publish there.

Then there are the many small business, which still accept walk-in job applications.

Or you can sign up with job staffing agency. This is a good idea, since they have a large part of the temp to perm market. Many large and small employers use staffing agencies and in my estimation about 500 percent increase compared to the 1980's.

Or you can have a friend or relative get you an interview, which is always the fastest way of getting a job! ;-)

The Newspaper is the last place anyone should go for jobs. Newspapers are for reading not job searching.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I don't know...in smaller or rural places, you still can get jobs via the newspaper.
Places like here (where I live) you hardly see any online jobs. Mainly you go by websites, agencies or the newspaper (or word of mouth).

Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Newspaper is the last place anyone should go for jobs. Newspapers are for reading not job searching.

Well, when i returned to Philadelphia, four years ago, I got my first job through the "City Paper" the weekly free paper. So, for me, I had more luck there, then all the monster, careerbuilder, and staffing agencies, where I got no reply until I had already been on my job three months later!

And when I am broke and unemployed, reading a free newspaper long enough to read their classifieds, takes me all of 5 minutes. ;-) imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment