Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,129,340 times

Advertisements

Excellent!! Was that gonads you were searching for?? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
First...look at it from the interviewers perspective. They are probably filtering hundreds of resumes and if they are asking for samples (I assume you are a writer or print designer) then they are probably looking at samples sent by those people too. Was the person you interviewed with a recruiter/HR person or an actual creative? It makes a HUGE difference as most likely they have absolutely no idea what makes a good writer/designer good. Your portfolio will most likely be there for some time.

Second, you need to have copies. Why on Earth would you give up your originals? If you can put them on the web. It's the safest way AND it shows some diversity in your design/development skills.

Third, grow a pair (male or female) and ask for the portfolio back. Let them know that you are interviewing with other companies or you only have the originals or something but you need to get them back. They are your work history and in order to sell yourself beyond the aesthetics of your projects you will need them. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Excellent!! Was that gonads you were searching for?? lol
If that applies then sure

Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
i see your point Sinsativ.... but isn't it just as easy to bring the original and also have a copy for the interviewer. I think it shows a willingness not to waste the hiring authority's time.

Also, as i reflected on your motivation for doing this, as you explained that because one has changed their tune and another is now defunct.

So, I wonder what difference it makes whether you have original or copy to show them, since IF you are a deceitful person, you could always get your brother and your wife to sign the letters of reference and pass it off for the real thing. No?

cheers!

Letterhead, thats hard to make, yes it can be done. And yes, you can bring in copies, and show the original in a plastic sheath, I've done that with some certificates. But some of the people like to handle the letter of reference to see that its done on high quality paper, normally if it's in a plastic sheath and all that they can't do that. Just a little quirk.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM

okay, i think i understand. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Letterhead, thats hard to make, yes it can be done. And yes, you can bring in copies, and show the original in a plastic sheath, I've done that with some certificates. But some of the people like to handle the letter of reference to see that its done on high quality paper, normally if it's in a plastic sheath and all that they can't do that. Just a little quirk.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:04 PM

496 posts, read 941,534 times
Do you guys not see the conflict then? If I ask for my portfolio back (yah, yah, obviously my mistake - given I didn't realize I didn't have other copies until I started putting together another one - I got it - Mistake there. MISTAKE!)

OK, given that I have already made the following Mistakes:
1. Leaving orginals with a prospective employer
2. Calling the prospective employer too soon to follow up

I see 2 options:
1. I contact the employer to get my portfolio back.
Potential consequence: being dismissed from consideration (ambivalent about this)
2. I leave the portfolio and employer alone and wait until they have made a decision, which is allegedly next week.
Potential consequence: loss of originals

It doesn't have to do with nads or spine or ovaries. It's possible to take a calculated risk and I am asking what your advice would be, based on your experience in either recruiting or applying? Is it unorthodox for an applicant to get their portfolio back? Aside: In 2 out of 3 scenarios, it has been mailed back unsolicited. lol Is it likely that they will throw it away at some point in the process, so if I contact them after they have made a decision, they may still have it?

See? I'm asking about calculated risk... not if I should have the *gall* to do such a thing!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Great!! You have shot ahead of the class with this last post!! sorry if that sounds condescending. I don't mean it to. Just a great post!!

I think this option: ' contact the employer to get my portfolio back.
Poten. tial consequence: being dismissed from consideration (ambivalent about this) is the best!

Because how can you replace originals!! True you can always work on other projects but not now while you are job searching.

Perhaps other Ops have better ideas!!

again good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Do you guys not see the conflict then? If I ask for my portfolio back (yah, yah, obviously my mistake - given I didn't realize I didn't have other copies until I started putting together another one - I got it - Mistake there. MISTAKE!)

I see 2 options:
1I contact the employer to get my portfolio back.
Poten. tial consequence: being dismissed from consideration (ambivalent about this)
2. I leave the portfolio and employer alone and wait until they have made a decision, which is allegedly next week.

It doesn't have to do with nads or spine or ovaries. It's possible to take a calculated risk and I am asking what your advice would be, based on your experience in either recruiting or applying? Is it unorthodox for an applicant to get their portfolio back? Aside: In 2 out of 3 scenarios, it has been mailed back unsolicited. lol Is it likely that they will throw it away at some point in the process, so if I contact them after they have made a decision, they may still have it?

See? I'm asking about calculated risk... not if I should have the *gall* to do such a thing!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Quote:

I see 2 options:
1. I contact the employer to get my portfolio back.
Potential consequence: being dismissed from consideration (ambivalent about this)

Are you going to want your portfolio back after the process is completed no matter what (you get the job or you don't)? If the answer is yes then get them back. You can be polite about it and just say I wanted to make sure you had the correct info to mail them back or I can come pick them up once the process is done or I have some others if you are interested or SOMETHING to bring up the point that they have YOUR samples.

No you don't want to burn bridges but you also don't want to lose your portfolio. It's not like losing a resume as it's pretty much who you are as a designer/writer.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:30 PM

496 posts, read 941,534 times
Thanks for the feedback - exactly what I was looking for.

Contacting them and getting it back is definitely the thing to do and I think there is a way to do it without burning bridges.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 195 times
My daughter went for an interview for a position in a daycare. She brought a portfolio with her. The person that interviewed her asked if she could keep it. Not thinking she said yes. It has all original documents in it. This was last year. She sent an email saying she wanted her portfolio back. They sent one back and said I’ll ket the owner know you want it. She heard nothing from then. She sent other emails saying she needed her portfolio and she heard nothing from them. How can she get her portfolio back?

Old 07-08-2018, 01:07 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
I had an interview earlier this week and took my portfolio with me. When I showed it to the interviewer, they said, "Oh. Can we keep this?" and I said, "Oh sure."

Here's the question: in my portfolio sits 2 copies of pieces of work that I do not have anymore.
So, the obvious question presents itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment