Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times

Advertisements

I received a call from an employer this morning for a similar position and the job is in walking distance from my apt and more money and I have the interview on Wednesday. Even though I start the other job next Monday I will be interested in a closer commute. This job is even closer than the job that I want over the job I start on the 18th. So just curious to know has anyone ever started a job and then left because you got that offer you were waiting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Do what you want but remember that the toes you step on today could belong to the a$$ you need to kiss tomorrow. Best thing to do is do the interview on Weds and see what happens. Also, look into the financial stability of both companies. If you quit the one place after just starting and the other company goes belly up or lays you off you are out of 2 jobs. Closer and more money is nice, but in this economy stability is much more important.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Do what you want but remember that the toes you step on today could belong to the a$$ you need to kiss tomorrow. Best thing to do is do the interview on Weds and see what happens. Also, look into the financial stability of both companies. If you quit the one place after just starting and the other company goes belly up or lays you off you are out of 2 jobs. Closer and more money is nice, but in this economy stability is much more important.

Yeah you have a point. But I have heard stories of Employers have BACK UP candidates just in case the Candidates who on't report to work on the date in the offer letter they can offer the job to one of those back up people. So basically it's about getting the BEST OPTION.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yeah you have a point. But I have heard stories of Employers have BACK UP candidates just in case the Candidates who on't report to work on the date in the offer letter they can offer the job to one of those back up people. So basically it's about getting the BEST OPTION.
Don't worry about what other candidates the company might or might not have. You should worry more about which is the right opportunity for you. Frankly, you should not choose a job based on the distance from where you live. I agree that stability is important, career advancement, company morale, how much the job is related to your career (or potential career) is all more important than distance to your home. Money can also be important, but unless it's a huge difference it should not be a factor neither.

Oh yeah, regardless of whether they have another candidate or not, chances are - you will be burning bridges if you leave right away. And considering your jobs are similar roles, you might take the risk of crossing paths again with someone in the company and can potentially hurt future opportunities if you do.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Don't worry about what other candidates the company might or might not have. You should worry more about which is the right opportunity for you. Frankly, you should not choose a job based on the distance from where you live. I agree that stability is important, career advancement, company morale, how much the job is related to your career (or potential career) is all more important than distance to your home. Money can also be important, but unless it's a huge difference it should not be a factor neither.

Oh yeah, regardless of whether they have another candidate or not, chances are - you will be burning bridges if you leave right away. And considering your jobs are similar roles, you might take the risk of crossing paths again with someone in the company and can potentially hurt future opportunities if you do.

That's why it's so irritating that this call didn't come a month ago when I had no offers. Now all of a sudden I wake up this morning and a company that's down the street wants me to come in for a interview now that I have someone else to go. Life in the Employment World.

So if I was to leave a job it would ave to be in the first week? Or should I even go to this interview at all on Wednesday?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Holy, you are amazing t.v. guy...

How many jobs are we talking about now?

I got the one, with the job offer that you start next Monday.
Then there is the second one, you were supposed to call this morning, that is same money, but closer to your home.
Is there a third one, that is also, over the fence and twice around the fire hydrant, that lo and behold called you this morning.

I am losing track.

Well, one way or another next monday you will be starting somewhere or about to somewhere.

too funny!

p.s. i really hope you don't make a wrong decision...

Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,837,802 times
It always happens, you can't get a job for sheeet, then when you do get one, every damn one you applied for starts calling you. You have to do your homework and make your decision based on your longterm needs. The two company's history, future, your future with each of them, your prospective future, raises, benefits, you can move closer to the other company if thats the only drawback, (ever think of that?) go to the interview, an interview, as you've learned, hopefully, in the last 5 months, is nothing but a first date, she may not ask you, or answer the phone for a second. Don't close either door, play your cards, bluff to the end, let them make their offers, then make your final decision, Old adage, "don't count your chickens before they are hatched."

Then there is another one, an adage, or a story with a moral I'll share with you: I told this story to my Sunday School Teacher last year.

My Aunt Karen was a flight engineer in Desert Storm and her plane got hit. She had to bail out over enemy territory, and all she had was a bottle of whiskey, a machine gun, and a machete. She drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn't break, and then she landed right in the middle of a hundred enemy soldiers. She killed seventy of them with the machine gun until she ran out of bullets, then she killed twenty more with the machete before the blade broke off. Then she killed the last ten with her bare hands."

"Good heavens!" asked the horrified Sunday School teacher. "What is the moral to that terrible story?"

"Stay the hell away from Aunt Karen when she's been drinking."

Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
It always happens, you can't get a job for sheeet, then when you do get one, every damn one you applied for starts calling you. You have to do your homework and make your decision based on your longterm needs. The two company's history, future, your future with each of them, your prospective future, raises, benefits, you can move closer to the other company if thats the only drawback, (ever think of that?) go to the interview, an interview, as you've learned, hopefully, in the last 5 months, is nothing but a first date, she may not ask you, or answer the phone for a second. Don't close either door, play your cards, bluff to the end, let them make their offers, then make your final decision, Old adage, "don't count your chickens before they are hatched."

Then there is another one, an adage, or a story with a moral I'll share with you: I told this story to my Sunday School Teacher last year.

My Aunt Karen was a flight engineer in Desert Storm and her plane got hit. She had to bail out over enemy territory, and all she had was a bottle of whiskey, a machine gun, and a machete. She drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn't break, and then she landed right in the middle of a hundred enemy soldiers. She killed seventy of them with the machine gun until she ran out of bullets, then she killed twenty more with the machete before the blade broke off. Then she killed the last ten with her bare hands."

"Good heavens!" asked the horrified Sunday School teacher. "What is the moral to that terrible story?"

"Stay the hell away from Aunt Karen when she's been drinking."

Wonderful! Just wonderful! but unfortunately for me, i don't get the relevance of Aunt Karen to T.V. guy's decision. But what the hello, funny anyway!!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Holy, you are amazing t.v. guy...

How many jobs are we talking about now?

I got the one, with the job offer that you start next Monday.
Then there is the second one, you were supposed to call this morning, that is same money, but closer to your home.
Is there a third one, that is also, over the fence and twice around the fire hydrant, that lo and behold called you this morning.

I am losing track.

Well, one way or another next monday you will be starting somewhere or about to somewhere.

too funny!

p.s. i really hope you don't make a wrong decision...

I didnt confirm with the other job yet because I have not received the leter in the mail, that will be tomorrow. But when I woke up this morning, there was a company that I had interest in a month ago who called and wants to interview me on wednesday. So looks like the week is getting off to a interesting start-lol

Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I didnt confirm with the other job yet because I have not received the leter in the mail, that will be tomorrow. But when I woke up this morning, there was a company that I had interest in a month ago who called and wants to interview me on wednesday. So looks like the week is getting off to a interesting start-lol

So, is that two pending or three??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment