Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:23 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times

Advertisements

Let me first state, I have a very fragile health system. I have lots of allergies, including foods and more developing all the time. I also have asthma.

My position involves being the receptionist and greeting all customers and visitors that come to the building. For two days now, we have had a woman that has drowned herself in this very strong perfume. I instantly become very stuffy and can't breathe. She leaves my office area and the smell lingers for hours. I had to go outside today to just catch my breathe. I have opened the door to allow fresh air into the office area. I was tempted to tell her to just stay outside and wait, but did not want to be rude and unwelcoming. But I really need her to not be near me, and I have to remain in my office area for obvious reasons.

What is the best way to handle this? Can I ask my employer to ask customers to not wear perfume in the future?

I am doing everything that I can on my end, by carrying epi-pens, taking my daily allergy pills, getting allergy shots as recommended, avoiding all known allergens. I myself have to use all scentless products, most made specifically for me, because shampoos and soaps contain coconut, which I am allergic to.

I am also allergic to a chemical in cigarettes. When I direct visitors to go to the parking lot to smoke, they get offended. I do not get this attitude either. If you are doing something that is causing someone obvious discomfort, why would you want to continue to do so?

I do not want to be rude to people, but how can I politely protect my health also? This has only been an issue at work. At home, I can keep an allergen safe place and I avoid situations and people that cause health issues for me.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Let me first state, I have a very fragile health system. I have lots of allergies, including foods and more developing all the time. I also have asthma.

What is the best way to handle this? Can I ask my employer to ask customers to not wear perfume in the future?
No.

Quote:
I am doing everything that I can on my end, by carrying epi-pens, taking my daily allergy pills, getting allergy shots as recommended, avoiding all known allergens. I myself have to use all scentless products, most made specifically for me, because shampoos and soaps contain coconut, which I am allergic to.

I am also allergic to a chemical in cigarettes. When I direct visitors to go to the parking lot to smoke, they get offended. I do not get this attitude either. If you are doing something that is causing someone obvious discomfort, why would you want to continue to do so?
I don't think they're getting bent because you're telling them where they can smoke. It's probably how you're telling them.

Quote:
I do not want to be rude to people, but how can I politely protect my health also? This has only been an issue at work. At home, I can keep an allergen safe place and I avoid situations and people that cause health issues for me.
You cannot have an allergen-free environment outside of your own home. Period.

There are a lot of customer service jobs with major US companies that can be done from home. Maybe you should look into that.

What you're asking for goes beyond my definition of "reasonable accommodation".

Old 05-31-2017, 07:55 AM

I am very polite when I direct customers to the smoking area. We even have signs posted to let them no the porch is not a smoking zone.

I would love to have a work from home job. I have applied to many, but they seem to be not real positions with reputable companies. I do accounting. Customer Service using phones would not be ideal, as I have hearing loss and being on the phone all day is not one of my strengths, as I struggle to understand people that do not speak precisely and clearly.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 AM

407 posts, read 370,461 times
Is there a conference room where they can wait?

Old 05-31-2017, 08:05 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You cannot have an allergen-free environment outside of your own home. Period.
What you're asking for goes beyond my definition of "reasonable accommodation".

This

Talk to your doctor and get some meds if you can't find a different job where you're more isolated from people.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:07 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
I can relate to your allergies and know first-hand how difficult it when exposed to the toxins and not able to get clear of them.

I used to keep a small fan on my desk in hopes it would divert the stench away from me as much as possible, and it did help some.

Back in the 80s I was assigned a project and the coworker chosen to work with me wore Musk cologne. As tactfully as possible I explained my sensitivity to fragrances and asked if he would refrain from wearing it while we worked together. He was very accommodating and what was amazing is that about a week into the project he thanked me and said he hadn't had one migraine since he stopped wearing the cologne, and in fact, had thrown the container in the trash.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Is there a conference room where they can wait?
I moved her out very fast, but at that point the damage was done. It would be much easier if people wore faint perfume or none at all. It has been two hours and my nose is still running and my throat is scratchy.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 AM

98 posts, read 269,128 times
Did you mention your "fragile health" during the interview? I've come across many co-workers that "suddenly" develop allergies, sensitivity to light and temperature changes, and lingering perfume when it suits them. 99 out of 100 times it is because they are excuses to cover their PERSONAL disappointment about their working environment. If you didn't mention your health and allergies during your interview, then you really need to re-think about your receptionist position. Asking visitors/clients NOT to wear perfume or NOT to have lingering cigarette smoke goes beyond "reasonable accomodations" and is just downright catty. if someone is smoking in your presence, you have every right to POLITELY ask them to smoke outside the confines of the office. And you should have DEFINITELY disclosed your hearing loss during your interview/application. Reception involves a lot of phone work, and relating to others whose first language may not be English.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This

Talk to your doctor and get some meds if you can't find a different job where you're more isolated from people.
I am at 38, already like a little old lady carrying my daily pill box. I also carry two inhalers, and an epi-pen daily. My doctor has given me all the medicines she could prescribe to try to make life easier. More medicine is not the solution.

I would love to be more isolated at work, however they put me right in the front office to greet customers. They say because I have the right personality for the job.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:15 AM

407 posts, read 370,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I moved her out very fast, but at that point the damage was done. It would be much easier if people wore faint perfume or none at all. It has been two hours and my nose is still running and my throat is scratchy.
Bummer. The only other thing I can think of is maybe an air purifier at your desk.

You could ask if you could put up a 'fragrance free environment' sign at your desk, but I don't think that will actually work. I can't imagine your company would want you pointing it out (no matter how tactfully) to anyone who came in with perfume, cologne, etc. since I assume they are clients. Additionally, they're already there so they can't exactly go outside and scrub it off. Might prevent them from wearing it the next time they visit. Ultimately I don't think it would do any good though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment