Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM

496 posts, read 941,237 times

Advertisements

Interesting, I've been considering the same thing... taking the sound of any kind of authority out so I could perhaps get a part-time job at the bookstore or something. I'm amazed - I've applied to do things I'd have never considered before and think the lower responsibility would be a refreshing antidote to the hefty responsibilities of my little self-employment ventures. I'm thinking... perhaps remove that business altogether?

Oh, I went to a local drug store because they had a "Now Hiring" sign up. And I took my resume by. ROFL. The manager looked at me like I was a public nuissance. Of course, I also applied online. Anyway... not getting interviews for these things I'm overqualified for. And honestly the one time I had a bland job, it was refreshing. I filed all day as a temp and I stood there and filed and organized and got to think about the book I was in the process of reading, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Just guessing, but overqualified might be an euphemism for not qualified in the areas that we need. So, perhaps the next time someone says that to you, perhaps you can reply, I understand I am not qualified in the areas you need....what areas do I need to improve upon, since I would love to work for your company.

This would not apply to those people who are Obviously applying for jobs, that they are totally unqualified for, such as a heart surgeon applying for a medsurg nurse position. But even this will make sense to an employer if the person is from another country and can't use their foreign medical degree.

I dont' think it is fair to let "them" get away with euphemisms. Ask them to explain what you really need to do, to persuade a similiar placed employer to hire you!

just a thought!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Just guessing, but overqualified might be an euphemism for not qualified in the areas that we need. So, perhaps the next time someone says that to you, perhaps you can reply, I understand I am not qualified in the areas you need....what areas do I need to improve upon, since I would love to work for your company.
Interesting perspective.

But how would I know if its really a euphemism for not being qualified in certain areas? It sounds to me like they're saying I just have too much experience and education for them, ie. the areas they would need improvement in is NOT having as much education and experience.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Oh, I went to a local drug store because they had a "Now Hiring" sign up. And I took my resume by. ROFL. The manager looked at me like I was a public nuissance. Of course, I also applied online. Anyway... not getting interviews for these things I'm overqualified for. And honestly the one time I had a bland job, it was refreshing. I filed all day as a temp and I stood there and filed and organized and got to think about the book I was in the process of reading, etc.
I haven't done retail work since 2002. I'm hoping they don't find me overqualified there and toss my application out. And I don't have any server experience so I'm not sure if anyone will take me seriously. I'm just a hardworking person that wants to work. I just hope someone understands that.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 AM

496 posts, read 941,237 times
Well, gea, I think that's a good point, too.

For example, I don't have stocking experience, but I'd love to be a night stocker at Lowe's. Given that, I operate a little marketing business on my own and I just need something perhaps part-time to offset my neurotic fixation on that...

I want to work at Lowe's. So, given that is an entry level position, am I under or overqualified?

And I applied for part-time church secretary position, too - and let's taken it as given I had all of the technical qualifications for it and a lot more. Overqualified or underqualified? I have a few examples because I'm deliberately applying for jobs that won't be very taxing.

I'm also applying for jobs that would be very demanding and rewarding... but if I don't get those I just want to do something part-time to take some of the stress off. I'm getting frustrated, honestly.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I haven't done retail work since 2002. I'm hoping they don't find me overqualified there and toss my application out. And I don't have any server experience so I'm not sure if anyone will take me seriously. I'm just a hardworking person that wants to work. I just hope someone understands that.
Without experience you're not likely to get a server position, but you could apply for a hostess position and work your way up.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Quote:
Interesting perspective.

But how would I know if its really a euphemism for not being qualified in certain areas? It sounds to me like they're saying I just have too much experience and education for them, ie. the areas they would need improvement in is NOT having as much education and experience.

Again, you would have to ask!!

There is one poster on here, who describes herself as a practising psychologist. Her lasting comment was that she loved when an interviewee would ask her how she did on the interview and what she could improve upon, even if the candidate was not chosen. It takes courage and the right demeanor.

But, personally, if I was TOLD more than 2 times, that I was over qualified for a position, that I THOUGHT I was perfect for, either there is a major disconnect between me and the world or I need to start asking some questions of my potential employers.

just a thought!

And what is the worst thing they can say, is brush you off with another euphemism or be honest with you!!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
I'm honestly getting so many mixed messages on this.

Some advise to aim lower, meaning lower pay, so I can land a job and not be labeled overqualified. Others say, not to lower expectations at all and that with my education, I should expect XYZ. I don't know.

All I know is I need work and money soon.

You don't have to become a FRY COOK but instead something like Customer Service.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Again, you would have to ask!!

There is one poster on here, who describes herself as a practising psychologist. Her lasting comment was that she loved when an interviewee would ask her how she did on the interview and what she could improve upon, even if the candidate was not chosen. It takes courage and the right demeanor.

But, personally, if I was TOLD more than 2 times, that I was over qualified for a position, that I THOUGHT I was perfect for, either there is a major disconnect between me and the world or I need to start asking some questions of my potential employers.

just a thought!

And what is the worst thing they can say, is brush you off with another euphemism or be honest with you!!
Yeah, I'll have to consider that next time. This time they made it clear they changed teh job function and the other times, I didn't get to interview because of it.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You don't have to become a FRY COOK but instead something like Customer Service.
I just thought of this yesterday. I will look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment