Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times

Advertisements

ok so I have been temping since I graduated over 2 years ago. It hasn't always been steady but I have been lucky to have employers who like me and my work and keep me for months. Well the company I am with now I initially interviewed for a permanent position and was told by the hr person that I was their top choice but at the last minute an employee of the company decided they wanted the job and since they promote from within first he got it. I was mad considering I had been unemployed for 9 months and I went through the grueling interview process. Well they offered me a temp position within the department making good money. I didn't like the crappy assistant position I was given but I did it with a smile and excelled. They had another temp who had been there for about 5 months prior to my arrival. She was hired as backup for someone who was going out on maternity leave well apparently she wasn't doing a good job because my boss switched us and I wound up doing the position which was very similar to what I initially interviewed for and she was let go. Here is the bad news, I just received word the woman is coming back from maternity leave in a few days. Some of the people on my team are not very happy at all because apparently she was slacking, they've had a few replacements, and they have expressed their concerns to my boss. The bottom line is it doesn't matter because this woman is coming back and I am feeling really depressed, angry, and confused. I really do not want to go back to the assistant position because they've already hired a new assistant but he is slow as molassas and I know I will have to pick up the slack. But with the economy in the toilet and tons of competition for the smallest job I feel like I have no real choice. I'm also pissed that I haven't found a permanent job in over 2 years. I'm lucky that I finally have benefits from my temp agency but if any of you have ever gotten benefits from a temp agency you know how bad they are. I have a vacation planned but unfortunately because I am a temp it will be unpaid so I pretty much haven't had a paid day off in over 6 months and I never miss work because I can't afford to I even get mad when there is a holiday because I know I won't be paid.

Oh by the way I have to see the employee who "stole" the job I wanted and watch him screw up and look confused day after day.When will things get better for all jobseekers and temps?? Okay this was my vent. Do I feel better? A little. Will my situation change for the better ? I hope so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Ah, the joys of temping.

I'd say just be glad you are working and keep trying to get a full time job outside that company. Maybe they never have any plans to take you on. I had a similar situation last year...I was promised the moon and once I got wise, the jobs and economy had crashed.

At this point I'd be happy for any temp work but the agency I work(ed) for has nothing or if they do, 100 people are in line for it.

Good luck, it will get better.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I temped at a job for over a year, all along with the promise of being brought on full time. Then there was a management shake up and they decided to do interviews for my job instead of just hiring me. I was very upset and didn't put my resume in. Getting out of there was the best thing I ever did, I ended up getting placed with that companies cometition by the temp agency, and it was much better working conditions and great people to work with. One of the managers there helped me get a full time job with yet another company that she had a friend in the HR department.

My feeling is that unless it's contract work or a long term temp job with an actual finish date, you always need to keep looking, because you are just being used otherwise if you are there over about eight weeks.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
I'd agree to keeping looking, but I wouldn't walk unless I had a new job to go to. In the meantime, let people in the company know you would like to work for them permanently, just don't be obvious about undercutting someone and going after their job. If there are people you feel particularly comfortable with, you could ask them to let you know if they hear of openings in other companies - if they leave for another company they might even take you with them. And continue to network as much as you can outside of work - attend evening or weekend seminars, join list-serves, be involved with your alumni association, etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
As long as you have a job to go to on a specific day that pays you money and helps build professional connections and helps you learn new skills and keeps you busy you are lucky in today's economy. Stick with the temp job until something more permanent lands on your lap.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I temped at a job for over a year, all along with the promise of being brought on full time.
My feeling is that unless it's contract work or a long term temp job with an actual finish date, you always need to keep looking, because you are just being used otherwise if you are there over about eight weeks.
That's why I left my temp job last year. I was promised (weekly) they'd take me on the end of the summer. That came and went and they did not offer me a job. Later on HR lied about how I did not want to temp anymore. She said that my being hired full time was based on board approval (never told me that). I also found out her goal was to make me everyone's gofer.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
It's only too long if you think it's too long and you are not getting any benefit from it other than a paycheck. While the job market is tough I still don't think that's enough to force someone to stay in a dead end job that is causing you stress, not enhancing your abilities and makes you want to beat someone with a sock full of nickels (to much?)

If you are going through an agency I suggest you have them look somewhere else for you. If you are going part time through the company then I suggest you talk to your direct manager and find out EXACTLY what is going to happen with you and your role when that person comes back. Better to get clarification.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 13,890 times
if there's no hope of becoming fulltime, it's time to pull up stakes and move!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 AM

185 posts, read 647,774 times
I have been temping for 2 years now. I worked 2 assingments, my first for 5 months, and this one for a year and seven months. Under normal circumstances I'd never consider it for so long. But of course we are in a recession and the job market isn't ideal. The company I'm assigned to has no plans to hire me, as they 'their policy is not to hire temps from agencies without the fee being wavered'. I haven't been able to find permanent employment yet, sucks but I'm holding on to this job till I find something permanent, or another long term assignment that pays better.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:18 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Default Thanks for the advice

I have been looking but I haven't had any bites on my resume in a while. The company is hiring but they are hiring for admins and other things that I have no interest in and I feel like if I go after an admin permanent role I will get sucked in to that and I really hate being an assistant. The company is expanding and there may be a full time position opening in my department within the next few months but I keep wondering "will I last that long if I have to go back to assisting the department?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment