Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:22 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

That's exactly the reason I'd never want kids, all of these people using that as an excuse. "Well, I gotta take care of the kids! I can't work that hard." Screw that. It's because of people who are so kid-focused that I know I will be a huge success and make it one day, because I can work 100 hour weeks, they cannot. The best way to guarantee success is not only talent and skills, but a work ethic that other people simply cannot match. And good fortune for me that people actually want these hideous parasites to leech off them, so I can have more time to get ahead
Working 100 hrs/week is not only abnormal but it is ignorance!. People were never made to work this much and it is proven that working this much can lead to all types of conditions, not to mention a potential mental breakdown. You need to get a life and maybe find a girlfriend, once you find a woman, you will not want to spend as much time in a freaking office, unless something is definitely wrong with you. Balance is the key here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
Not sure I would agree with that. A work ethic is more than working more hours then the next guy. I went to school and spent years developing talent and skills (while working just 40/week) just so I could make as much money working 40 hours as someone working 100 hours per week with ot.

Working long hours helps get more done but to who's benefit? Sure you get more money but when are you going to spend it? I knew too many people that had to have their parents deposit their paychecks because they didn't have time. And that is assuming you get overtime. And make no mistake, the company is benefiting more than you will

Will you learn more working that many hours? Doubt it. If you are working that many hours it is probably because of the grunt work (be it labor or paper pushing) that you need to do that really has no benefit other then it needs doing.

If you are working 100 hours to "get ahead" careerwise you are doing it all wrong (unless the job is typically that busy...ie a hospital or law firm). I am all for a great career and getting ahead but I would rather be at home with my family. If work is all that's important I don't see a point in life.

If you are going to put in that much time do something for yourself and not "the man". Become an entrepreneur or something so the work benefits you. Heck, spend 40 at work and 40 doing community service. Now that is someone I could look up to.

At the same time good luck!!
I agree. I mean, if this person runs their own business I can see how working this hard can benefit them overall. However, I also agree if he is an employee then chances are he is being taken advantage of rather than moving up entirely. Heck, if you read books from successful people such as Jack Canfield, he admits that many successful people delegate their work to others so they have more time for themselves.

Working hard can create success. However, many of the people I have met who are successful do not work as hard. They made friends with upper management and were able to get on their good side. They are the ones who make TONS of money, are not being laid off, and get promotions. Granted, it can bite them in the butt if they are friends with only one CEO/CIO/Etc. and that person quits or is released. Hard work can win out, but I've seen it win out more in conjunction with making friends with the boss.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I agree. I mean, if this person runs their own business I can see how working this hard can benefit them overall. However, I also agree if he is an employee then chances are he is being taken advantage of rather than moving up entirely. Heck, if you read books from successful people such as Jack Canfield, he admits that many successful people delegate their work to others so they have more time for themselves.

Working hard can create success. However, many of the people I have met who are successful do not work as hard. They made friends with upper management and were able to get on their good side. They are the ones who make TONS of money, are not being laid off, and get promotions. Granted, it can bite them in the butt if they are friends with only one CEO/CIO/Etc. and that person quits or is released. Hard work can win out, but I've seen it win out more in conjunction with making friends with the boss.

A coworker just said that today-lol He was saying-"the only way you get a raise in this place is being on people's good side UPSTAIRS

Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
A coworker just said that today-lol He was saying-"the only way you get a raise in this place is being on people's good side UPSTAIRS
I really dislike saying it since I was raised to think that hard work is how you make money and get noticed. It's true when you work in a very small company or have a boss that interacts closely with the employees. In those cases, then hard work can pay off. However, when you're dealing with companies where the boss is less attentive or there's more levels in between you and the boss, then it will take a heck of a lot more than hard work to get noticed. Half the time, the head honchos in upper management have NO CLUE what the lower rungs are doing. Heck, I got blamed for something someone else done b/c "she's suppose to be in charge of the maps" and they did not apologize for it. It's not about how hard you work, it's about whether or not they need your branch. Many companies think of people as positions rather than as people.

That is why becoming friends with upper management is the best way to get into upper management. It gets you noticed because they know you on a more personal level. If they have to lay off an employee, they will think, "I know that guy. I cannot do anything bad to him because he's a friend. Therefore, I'll fire someone else and move him to their position." Rather than just cutting off the person who may be one of the hardest workers but isn't as well known and no one recognizes this person's impact since they are on the upper tier and can't see past their feet.

That is why networking is very important. We are very subjective beings.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:57 PM

16 posts, read 31,427 times
Two words: Commissioned. Sales. Depending on the industry, you're LITERALLY always working. At a job I left not long ago, 50+ hour weeks were incredibly common. To make matters worse, it was on the "draw" system, so it was to your benefit to work less hours. However, our owner had us in for 50+ a week. And to top it off, he was disappointed if you didn't make sales overtures to people in your personal life.

Given, you have to earn whatever you make, but I think respecting someone's personal life is at least reasonable to expect.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I really dislike saying it since I was raised to think that hard work is how you make money and get noticed. It's true when you work in a very small company or have a boss that interacts closely with the employees. In those cases, then hard work can pay off. However, when you're dealing with companies where the boss is less attentive or there's more levels in between you and the boss, then it will take a heck of a lot more than hard work to get noticed. Half the time, the head honchos in upper management have NO CLUE what the lower rungs are doing. Heck, I got blamed for something someone else done b/c "she's suppose to be in charge of the maps" and they did not apologize for it. It's not about how hard you work, it's about whether or not they need your branch. Many companies think of people as positions rather than as people.

That is why becoming friends with upper management is the best way to get into upper management. It gets you noticed because they know you on a more personal level. If they have to lay off an employee, they will think, "I know that guy. I cannot do anything bad to him because he's a friend. Therefore, I'll fire someone else and move him to their position." Rather than just cutting off the person who may be one of the hardest workers but isn't as well known and no one recognizes this person's impact since they are on the upper tier and can't see past their feet.

That is why networking is very important. We are very subjective beings.

I would say working SMARTER instead of HARDER than everyone else and maintaining a PLEASANT personality. I have outperformed most of my team and have only been there 3 weeks.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
When you are younger the longer hours is not so much a problem, you have the stamina, But once you hit 40 (ugh) the longer hours is crap. How long can one really sit at a desk and be productive??? You cant spend you whole life working. Remember, we work to live not the other way around.

Also when I think back (waaay back) at all the long hours I put into different companies which I am no longer at anymore, I think to myself...was it worth it....and the answer is NO.
If there is a great need for working well past the 35 work week, then there should be another person hired to help out, thus giving someone else a job.

So no I am really not for working any more than necessary. call me lazy, dont care....because when you are on your deathbed is any of it going to really have of mattered.

whoa, did I ramble on that one !!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,203,529 times
izannimda...while I fully agree with you about balance between work and life...unfortunately, the work culture often dictates our behavior.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:44 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I just started a new job, which I like, but I don't do long hours anymore unless it's necesary. No, I don't slack, but I believe in a balanced work life. Anyway, I found that many of my peers at this new place regularly put in 10 or 11 hours a day. I give my 9 hours, and go home unless there is any unfinished work to do.

Here is my question. Do any of you out there work in this kind of environment? Do you just leave when the day is over regardless if other people chose to regularly stay late or do you feel the peer pressure to keep up appearances, and stay late despite not having any more work to do? I think it's unproductive to do long hours every day, and it leads to early burnout. I'm one to believe that I will be evaluated as somebody who simply gets the job done, and doesn't just act the part.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?
This is one thing I pay attention to when I interview for a job. You're interviewing them just as much they're interviewing you. In my field, it's not uncommon for people to put in long hours. Some are workaholics or perfectionists. Others are just afraid of losing their job or trying to impress the boss. Not only do I refuse to take a job that keeps me at work past 5, I won't work in an environment where everyone else stays late. Like you said, you'll burnout. I know plenty of people who work in financial services. They work long hours and work from home. They make huge money, but IMO it's not worth it. Don't ever let yourself cave to peer pressure. If you see your coworkers working extra to get ahead, ask yourself if that's the kind of culture you'd want to be around. The work world is full of toxic influences. Some, like the people who eat junk and smoke all day, you can't avoid. But others, like the people who think working 14-hour days makes you a good employee, should be avoided. Let them kill themselves for their job. A job is just a job. It shouldn't be your life and imagine how much other aspects of your life (relationships, health, kids) would be if you devoted that much time to them.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:23 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
Not sure I would agree with that. A work ethic is more than working more hours then the next guy. I went to school and spent years developing talent and skills (while working just 40/week) just so I could make as much money working 40 hours as someone working 100 hours per week with ot.

Working long hours helps get more done but to who's benefit? Sure you get more money but when are you going to spend it? I knew too many people that had to have their parents deposit their paychecks because they didn't have time. And that is assuming you get overtime. And make no mistake, the company is benefiting more than you will

Will you learn more working that many hours? Doubt it. If you are working that many hours it is probably because of the grunt work (be it labor or paper pushing) that you need to do that really has no benefit other then it needs doing.

If you are working 100 hours to "get ahead" careerwise you are doing it all wrong (unless the job is typically that busy...ie a hospital or law firm). I am all for a great career and getting ahead but I would rather be at home with my family. If work is all that's important I don't see a point in life.

If you are going to put in that much time do something for yourself and not "the man". Become an entrepreneur or something so the work benefits you. Heck, spend 40 at work and 40 doing community service. Now that is someone I could look up to.

At the same time good luck!!
What are you talking about? Were you assuming I wasn't or something? I am The Man -- it's MY company. I've never worked a day in my life for anyone else and I'd like to keep it that way. When I was a kid I sold golf balls, when I was a teenager I ran an online empire of Websites, and now in my 20s I own a film production company. You cannot do this kind of work on 40 hours a week. You gotta do it all yourself to build something from nothing. Well, not everything yourself, but you can't go hiring someone to do every little thing. You have to take responsibility and make things happen.

40 hours a week is nothing, that's hardly any work whatsoever. Even 60 hours is a light week, really no big deal, and I LOVE what I do! I live to work because that's where I feel the greatest thrill. I don't push papers or do data entry, I get to be on sets for productions and watch projects come together and work with amazing, creative people. It's fantastic. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment