Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 05:18 AM

6 posts, read 37,758 times

Advertisements

Being caught in a difficult situation I began to do some research on mobbing and quickly realised that this is what is happening to me. Does anyone have more information on this or may have experienced yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I did not know what it was till I looked it up.
At one job, I think I was a 'victim' of mobbing. I was working as a manager in a market research firm. There were about 7 of us, on the same level and @the same age. However, I was not into hanging out (we worked till 2 am) at bars or so forth.

I also lived at home and my folks did not like me hanging out. They had to get up for work in the early am and it was not respectful of me to be out all night. When you do not drink or smoke (especially back then) bars are the last place I wanted to be at 2 am.

The company summer party was held every year at the big bosses. I had no interest in going (these parties were very wild, I did not drink, I did not like what heard about them.) On the night of the party a few of my fellow managers showed up late and left a harassing flyer on my car re: the party...It said, WHERE WERE YOU? in huge letters.

Soon after, I was called out by a head manager for poor performance by my 'staff' of the night (people who worked my survey). It was a bad survey and my numbers were low.

I got the cold shoulder and was never treated well by my co-workers simply because I was not a 'party girl'. I had enough and left that job for grad school.

I made good money back then, too. But the company culture was not for me.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times
It's possible that it could be happening to you, and at least you're trying to rationalize and be level-headed about it.

The worst situation of "mobbing" I've experienced happened in the service, and the "mob" could not have been more in my face about it. It can happen in any organization which is mismanaged, and can involve group think and other "fellow traveler" type phenomenon. Deep down, most of these folks are truly miserable and need the group to be mommy or daddy or whatever, to them and their "feelings". The less mature people are, the more apt they are to show these behaviors, and I've seen it in folks in their 50's and even 60's.

Trust me, it ain't worth the stress, if that's what you're experiencing. I had to watch my back around this group who were socially screwed up, and the brain dead officer we had in our work section was oblivious to it, and inadvertently fed into it. The pressure to "hang out" was great, and when I refused to be part of their miserable group, they turned on me. Sometimes this can revolve around a lot of drinking, drugging. and other behaviors they use to bond with each other. It got to the point where I was being "called out", as I'll call it, in front of this group during leadership meetings, and I literally told every one of them to f*** off, to include the aforementioned officer, whom had asked me in front of the group about why I had not hung out with them on a Sunday. That was the last straw.

You have to rise above the BS, as an individual. The group shaming and whatnot is their way of trying to make up for their lack of social skills and their misery.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Did you not think the company culture was dysfunctional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I made good money back then, too. But the company culture was not for me.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Frankly, if I have to spend time with them during the week, then it should be voluntary if I waste time with them during the weekend. If I like them as friends I might, but why should someone be punished b/c they prefer not to make work their life?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Did you not think the company culture was dysfunctional?
Yes, I did. I only worked there for about 6 months. I didn't like how management would have meetings (my group included) and run down the workers who made the $$ for the organization.

I started there as a phone worker and know it was not easy. After moving into management and hearing the management call the workers "scum" really bothered me.

I left when it was convenient for me. Gave them less than a few days notice after the 'car tagging' incident and 'home harassment' by the manager. The guy who was my group leader was annoyed at me but who cares. This was years ago when getting a job was v. easy (I was younger!)

I don't allow jobs to 'rule my free time.' Neither does my husband. Maybe that is why I am 'not financially successful.' I will only schmooze when I feel it necessary. No boss is cornering me into being an 'a** kisser.'

Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 AM

6 posts, read 37,758 times
I think one of the issues for me is that I work in a high profile public organisation and believe that honesty and openness are essential particularly when we are making decisions that have a huge impact on peoples lives. I stick my neck out and challenge attitudes and decisions so it is not suprising when I have my head shot at. The organisation lacks direction and people are scared. I am a manager but wont adopt a defensive posution for the organisation. If we are to learn we need to be open and transparent. I think I'm a pain in the backside for them and me out of the way would be less of a threat or disruption to the organisation. I could never turn a blind eye to injustice or wrong doing.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,851 times
I have 15 years, I too would like to move you, I worked at a restaurant called the Traditional Kitchen Tablecloths this circuit inside the wheel 1757 in the city of Puebla, barbecues was to last just two months when working in the end the owner ran me, and all its terms by not accepting the truth that I get to talk penalty because I never thought that I came to spend a thing, the owner named Sergio Corona Quiroz owner of the restaurant tablecloths, at the beginning of my income that was already opened when you enter the time, Mr is happening in the restaurant almost since the dawn God did not leave there was always one of the tables just sitting watching, be good to direct Mr started to sexual harassment at first I said it reminded him of when he was young and the you would like to spend time with, to which I find very strange, if not I spent time with my father, obviously not accepted yet but I realized what I wanted the man, as well continued to insist to others two weeks, I believe the Lord is tired of the stress of an indirect way and began to touch me and make comments about my body and heard that if I wanted to go with your home to eat, after I realized I fell or twenty, I told him that it was not as gay but that was not the Lord but also very annoying because if it was not the truth, the good thing is that last month that the work go very badly Mr deducted money from my salary as well as Gabbana 320 pesos a week is horrible because I felt removed from 50 to 150 pesos, also Mr harassed me and insulting but criticizing in private occupation and sometimes against other people, I think that aprtir told him that it was not like I liked the men I think the Lord is the point of trying to tell him in private that does not tell anyone about what happened that because it has a Creation proteguer that if I even threatened to sue and be with my family that knows a lot of people and stuff, if the truth were afraid because it was the first time I went something like this and it is not fair for this type of People do this with the workers, well after all I had to move everything out of there because I met gave me the money because if so I deducted it was going to work to get tickets to go to work and not bone was beneficial to me. The net if I get scared because the Lord told me it was a panista and that could do what I want, please can you help or do something to report. This gentleman Sergio Quiroz Corona does not have the balls to confront his homosexuality and it is a dwarf incompetent son of a ***** mother Martha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment