Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

There's a big difference between an unpaid internship and what the OP is suggesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There's a big difference between an unpaid internship and what the OP is suggesting.
Definitely. I'm going back to grad school and know exactly where I want to work when I get out. You better believe I will try like hell to get an internship there whether they pay me or not.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
That is going to be the trend in the future. Most people are going to either start as interns, temps or volunteers and the company will get a chance to check them out. Most people will be out of the work force by age 50 because employers will not be able to afford to pay the wages that an older worker expects.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I interned for three months (paid, but low salary) before I got my current job. On the last day of the internship I was given a job offer. I started the full time-non internship job just over a year ago, and was very lucky...they hiring from outside last year because of the economy...the only new hires (in IT at least) were from internships.

I thought of it like a three month paid interview.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
That is going to be the trend in the future. Most people are going to either start as interns, temps or volunteers and the company will get a chance to check them out. Most people will be out of the work force by age 50 because employers will not be able to afford to pay the wages that an older worker expects.
That might be your experience, but those of us who expect compensation based on our value to the company regardless of age will continue working indefinitely. I expect to be paid based on my talent and skills, and know that in my present position anyone with five years experience could do the job, and priced myself that way. Older workers need to be realisitic, but don't need to walk off into the woods to die.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Working for free? It is really sad that people are this subservient and this is the reason why companies are willing to exploit workers and continue to insult our intelligence on a daily basis. Unfortunately, there are too many idiots out there willing to bow down to a company for a pathetic job that pays near to nothing. Don't be another idiot!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Working for free? It is really sad that people are this subservient and this is the reason why companies are willing to exploit workers and continue to insult our intelligence on a daily basis. Unfortunately, there are too many idiots out there willing to bow down to a company for a pathetic job that pays near to nothing. Don't be another idiot!
It is called 'proving yourself'.

Would you rather not get a paycheck for a few months and get that ideal job in the end, or settle for something less so you can have cash right away?

Think about it, what you are saying doesn't really make much sense.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
do you feel the same way about internships?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
do you feel the same way about internships?

The premise of an internship is different to me. During an internship they should be teaching you something about the field that you are later looking to get a paid job in. That is your "pay", experience and insight into the field

If I am hired for a job I am providing them with a service, and should be compensated for my skill and time.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
One thing to note about a internship is that they are generally entry-level roles that provide someone who might be right out of school (or still in school) or switching industries, the opportunity to get their foot in the door, gain some experience and knowledge about the company/industry and learn as much from a experienced person.

I had plenty of friends while in school, who took internships with the hope that a full-time job would be offered to them at the end.

With that being said, I think it's a change of times to see someone who has 10+ years of experience in a particular industry/field, and is considering going for a internship in the same industry, just to be able to get inside the company and have to prove themselves. Clearly shows how the job market has changed. Personally, that option would never occur to me, but I guess I see the rational in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment