Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

I was talking with someone about this over the weekend...

Has anyone here done this or know anything about it?
It's a new concept to me, that is why I ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Diploma mills are fine for big companies with HR departments who tie up the hiring managers in red tape and refuse to allow them to discriminate beween diploma mills and real colleges.

Diploma mills are very bad when applying for work with employers who don't have HR departments who tie up the hiring managers in red tape and refuse to allow them to discriminate between diploma mills and real colleges.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:07 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I went to school online, but it was through a bricks and mortar school. My classes were exactly the same as the ones offered on campus. I had the same teachers, same workload assignment. I also got some college credits for "life work". However, I had to first compile portfolios explaining to the school administrators exactly how this level of work was the equivalent of a college credit. Also, I had to submit evidence proving that I actually had the work experience that I said I did. Next, I had to explain how this particular college credit fit into my degree program. I did this by mainly checking out college textbooks (they had to match classes offered by the school) and cross referencing college theory to my practical experience. This entire portfolio was then sent to the head of the department that related to that subject-matter. That person read my portfolio and examined the evidence I submitted to see if my work experience was indeed the equivalent of a college credit. It was quite a lengthy process.

So then I was talking to some of my friends who have attended Strayer and University of Phoenix. Wow, I was shocked at the "adult" classes. I can remember one of my friend's assignments for an economics class was to write a paper on how hard it is for working mothers. Really? Wow. The ease with which college credit was given for work experience was ridiculous.

The worst part about some of these online schools is that they are cheating these students out of an education. I don't know how most employers feel about degrees from them, but my past two employers didn't think highly of them at all. Finally, some of these online schools are really expensive.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Thanks for the responses...

this type of thing just makes my jaw drop.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:56 AM

173 posts, read 968,174 times
I have nothing against online courses, but I do oppose entire online degrees.
As for work experience, many people can back this up from their corporate training experiences or other corporate certifications.
Some people actually show their performance reviews which highlight these successes.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I got one of my certificates through an online program from a well respected brick and mortar university. Employers didn't care that it was online. It was based on classwork and not "life experience" though.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,878 times
People who don't know much about college and university need to be extremely careful about online universities and degrees. This has become a huge for-profit business based on easy loans and grants. These degrees, even if they are regionally accredited (Not DISTANCE accredited), are in programs that have essentially no academic standards.

University of Phoenix for example grades almost entirely based on "group projects."

Online degrees that come from long established state and private universities don't do this. You have to take exams in a 3rd party testing center and your results thus reflect your individual competency in mastering the material. Fundamentally, one cannot fake that, provide there is sufficient checks on the identity of the student and his/her testing. Employers know that testing is objective and holds the same rigorous standards, so they rarely have misgivings about an online degree from a traditional university.

Community colleges and local state universities are not only much cheaper than University of Phoenix (and its many clones), but they have higher standards and are thus better regarded by nearby employers, many of whom will often be graduates of these institutions.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I live in a rural environment and have used online training to supplement my job and it helps...I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a first time college person, however, I'm 58 and have been there done that with college and work experience and if you find a good program it's worth it as you can fit it into your schedule and not worry about making it to class. I enjoyed the freedom of online classes.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
People who don't know much about college and university need to be extremely careful about online universities and degrees. This has become a huge for-profit business based on easy loans and grants. These degrees, even if they are regionally accredited (Not DISTANCE accredited), are in programs that have essentially no academic standards.

University of Phoenix for example grades almost entirely based on "group projects."

Online degrees that come from long established state and private universities don't do this. You have to take exams in a 3rd party testing center and your results thus reflect your individual competency in mastering the material. Fundamentally, one cannot fake that, provide there is sufficient checks on the identity of the student and his/her testing. Employers know that testing is objective and holds the same rigorous standards, so they rarely have misgivings about an online degree from a traditional university.

Community colleges and local state universities are not only much cheaper than University of Phoenix (and its many clones), but they have higher standards and are thus better regarded by nearby employers, many of whom will often be graduates of these institutions.
You're right. I had to take a final at the university, even though all of my coursework ahd been done "online."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment