Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Facebook is a great networking tool, but there are 'rules' to it. It is good to learn the new etiquette for the digital age. Wired magazine had a great article about this in their last issue.

The basic rule for facebook: connect to your co-workers and boss with facebook, but NOT your boss's boss (or anyone else at that level). And if you have anything you don't want people to see on facebook - get it off. Facebook, linkedin, personal website, they are all just as important as resume's in today's society. You need to create a digital profile and control all the content. Facebook isn't a place to post drunken pictures any more.

If you want to read through the set of net etiquette rules, go here

Some of them are funny, but I would agree with every one
LOL-so if Wired magazine says it-it's the gospel??
Work is for work, time to be with co-workers. That's all.
Facebook means something different to everyone. ALL the friends on my list are professionsls;mostly teachers, people I went to school with......we get on FB to converse about our day,our family,vent about other things........
Wired has it's own agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Facebook means something different to everyone. ALL the friends on my list are professionsls;mostly teachers, people I went to school with......we get on FB to converse about our day,our family,vent about other things........
Why are you so angry about everything?

So what if some people have no problem with their bosses being their Facebook friend. You don't want it, that's fine. But just because you feel you've got something to hide from your boss, it doesn't mean that everyone does.

It's unfortunate that you've never worked in an environment where people are friendly with each other and actually spend time with each other socially as well as in their career.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
I am saying, as a 23 year old working in IT that the wired list is very accurate according to the attitudes of gen Yers (who essentially control social media).

Norms are changing, and that particular article did a great job of explaining the changing trends. You can either change with the times or be stuck as yet another older person out-of-date with technology.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
With the understanding that if the professional relationship ends in a bad way the boss will be eliminated from friends list immediately.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why are you so angry about everything?

So what if some people have no problem with their bosses being their Facebook friend. You don't want it, that's fine. But just because you feel you've got something to hide from your boss, it doesn't mean that everyone does.

It's unfortunate that you've never worked in an environment where people are friendly with each other and actually spend time with each other socially as well as in their career.
LMAO!!!
Hello pot--meet kettle.
Look through the posts here and see how many agree with you...........alrighty then.
YOu have nothing to hide because you live in your little HOA world where you go along with whatever the stepfords tell yu to and you participate in the witch hunts to rat out all the non brown nosers. You're a trip!!!

You know nothing of my work history,as I know nothing of yours. I don't think you work now........how's that? I think you live in your little fairy tale land and wait for others to tell you what to do next.

Next!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I am saying, as a 23 year old working in IT that the wired list is very accurate according to the attitudes of gen Yers (who essentially control social media).

Norms are changing, and that particular article did a great job of explaining the changing trends. You can either change with the times or be stuck as yet another older person out-of-date with technology.
23 year old high tech know it all!!! Aren't you cute!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
LMAO!!!
Hello pot--meet kettle.
Look through the posts here and see how many agree with you...........alrighty then.
YOu have nothing to hide because you live in your little HOA world where you go along with whatever the stepfords tell yu to and you participate in the witch hunts to rat out all the non brown nosers. You're a trip!!!

You know nothing of my work history,as I know nothing of yours. I don't think you work now........how's that? I think you live in your little fairy tale land and wait for others to tell you what to do next.

Next!
It's sad that you are as misinformed about almost everything as you are.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
23 year old high tech know it all!!! Aren't you cute!
The founders of 95% of all social media sites are under 30 years old. My generation created the concept of sites like facebook, so why don't you listen to someone who knows what he is talking about and go back to your knitting and 9:00 bedtimes, ok grandma?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's sad that you are as misinformed about almost everything as you are.
well, let's see.............if you work, as you claim; are you AT work and posting ALL day on this forum??
Not very ethical, is it?
LOL
Quote:
The founders of 95% of all social media sites are under 30 years old. My generation created the concept of sites like facebook, so why don't you listen to someone who knows what he is talking about and go back to your knitting and 9:00 bedtimes, ok grandma?
wow-such a fountain of useless knowledge. You're too young to know as much as you only think you do.
Your generation??? Ok.............you are just so darn adorable!!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
well, let's see.............if you work, as you claim; are you AT work and posting ALL day on this forum??
Not very ethical, is it?
LOL
I'm a salaried employee, and can set my own hours and don't even have to go into the office if I don't want to. Somethimes I'm posting from work, somethimes I'm posting from home. I have no set amount of hours I need to put in each week, but rather am expected to get my job done, which I do. Some weeks I can get it done in 10 hours, other weeks it takes me 50-60. it all works out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment