Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

The more I think about it, the more I think TVSG saw this on a rerun of the Mary Tyler Moore Show and wished it would happen to him in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think TVSG saw this on a rerun of the Mary Tyler Moore Show and wished it would happen to him in real life.
Or....he's channeling Ignatius from Confederacy of Dunces.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I remain curious about your mindset and even more curious about why you continually ignore very basic questions posed to you in response to threads you start.

You start thread after thread and receive all kinds of responses and yet you stop responding when the consensus is that you're being rather an ass - and then you create another thread. Does nothing that anybody says register with you?

You're stressed out that a coworker was reduced to tears when a boss went wild, you were put out when a coworker (another thread) had the temerity to want to share a stapler, were stressed out (another thread) when another female coworker was "touching" you as in patting you on the back because she was simply concerned that you weren't feeling well. You were put out when your unemployment benefits ran out and ticked off that you couldn't collect more than that to which you were legally entitled.

I'll repeat, does nothing that anybody says register with you?

STT.....You are my SHERO!!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Today we had an important staffing meeting and the boss was just ripping us apart and saying that everyone better step their game up or they will be written up.
Sounds like you work for a jerk of a boss that has the management skills of a bull moose in rut. Her response shouldn't be your concern, your supervisors failure as a person is your problem, or that you don't recognize that.

Or you could do what I'm sure most here would expect, go punch her in the shoulder and tell her to "man up".

Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Today we had an important staffing meeting and the boss was just ripping us apart and saying that everyone better step their game up or they will be written up. Then all of a sudden, this female coworker of mine gets up from the table and starts crying and leaves the meeting????????

Well I always thought she was odd but today confirmed she needs help because no grown a$$ normal woman is supposed to run out of a staff meeting crying because the boss is beating us up in the meeting. I don't even know if I can make eye contact with her again after that pathetic moment. Most shocking Moment at a job in my life.
It depends on a few things:

- Bosses want to look good. He is angry since HIS boss is making moves on him. Think about it. His professional career could be jeopardised due to the incompetence of his subordinates. I'm not saying YOU are/were incompetent, i don't know you. But nevertheless, your boss has somebody to report to, just as you report to him.

- Did he have a legitimate reason to be angry? Was a deadline for the team missed? Did something the team was producing scupper the department's, or even the firm's, plans?

- Is he normally an angry person?

I think if a boss is angry for the above reasons, it wouldn't phase me at all.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Exactly. I do not see why the OP is bothered or even concerned with the tearful woman. As a team player you would want to build her up and make her realize that she can do better next time around. It's really no big deal.

If there is a problem with an employee or a team then training, mentoring, and supervision are what is needed not some screeching scolding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Why does it bother you so much that your co-worker got upset? You are not responsible for her performance (or lack thereof). You don't know what was going on in her life at that moment and rather than offer support, you choose to call her "pathetic". Yet you say your boss smart......sounds like to me she was on a power trip and was taking it out on her staff. Smart??..........hardly.

This is a perfect example of how childish "office politics" come into play.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I agree with you. The OP thinks work is like a middle school football team. New Flash good work environments are not managed like middle school football teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sounds like you work for a jerk of a boss that has the management skills of a bull moose in rut. Her response shouldn't be your concern, your supervisors failure as a person is your problem, or that you don't recognize that.

Or you could do what I'm sure most here would expect, go punch her in the shoulder and tell her to "man up".

Old 08-26-2009, 10:58 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
I have to wonder how embellished this story is.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I have to wonder how embellished this story is.
Probably, all of it, if you knew TV, like a lot of us do, then you would know that when the "I love Lucy" reruns, and the "Jeffersons", "Good Times" etc, are all boring to him, he has a job now, for 5 months he gave us his version of "How the Stomach Turns" now after he finally got a job, and it's boring, to say the least, watch any episode of "The Office" and catch "Dwight Schrute" he is what you may consider the office oddball. (Dwight was initially enemies with Andy Bernard after Scranton absorbed Stamford, both are kiss-ups who cling to meaningless titles in an effort to prove their superiority.)
Our boy, TVSG, does things like this thread to get attention, even if its anonymous attention. He feels that everyone is talking to him, about a topic he brought up, makes him feel like the center of attention, even tho the whole story is probably fabricated. Best thing to do is just smile and nod, ever once and a while let out a thoughtful, "really?" then a new thread will come up.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
How about an update from the OP. Is this woman still working there? How is she being Treated ? ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment