Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 5,526 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am new to the city-data forums! I have a little bit of a job dilemma and want some opinions. I am a nurse and have been applying for new jobs for about 2 months . Sent my resume out to multiple different hospitals and positions . Luckily quickly set up and I had an interview at the hospital I currently work at but on a different floor . ( my friend works on that floor and helped me to get the interview - which I very thankful for ) . I went to interview and got a phone call before I was even home with a job ( part time night 7a-7p- which I'm not crazy about --- but I need to get off my current floor ) I accepted this over the phone . Next day I get an email from human resources from one of the leading children's hospitals in the WORLD to come in to interview - of course I accept to go on the interview . I interview - went great !- then I shadowed on the unit - went great. I spoke with the hiring manager after and I felt like it was appropriate to tell her that I am set up to start a new jobs at the current hospital in the new year . The manager I was interviewing with laughed and asked me where do you want to work ? And said that if she were my current hospital and I now declined the job I had already accepted she would be upset and I would be burning bridges . She said she wasn't trying to "school" me but that professionally I shouldn't take a job then back out .

I was so upset that I really didn't explain myself to her . She told me I would hear about this position within a week . I was do upset I cried as soon as I stepped out of the building - thinking I ruined my chances . I sent her a very nice thank you email and explained that I had accepted the new position at my current hospital well before her hospital ever contacted me . And that i shared this information with her so if I needed to I could get my new manager ample warning if I were to accept at the other hospital . I said that I am flattered that you are considering me and very hopeful . I haven't heard back from her .

What do you think ? I'm so upset how I left the interview I felt like I needed to explain myself . The hospital I just interviewed with is a full time rotating days and nights - which I would like more .

Please share your honest opinion .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
"I felt like it was appropriate to tell her that I am set up to start a new jobs at the current hospital in the new year"
It was not.
Never share too much. This is not your group therapy session.

If you get a better offer, then take it.
Your current employer would be willing to lay you off with 10 minutes notice. You owe them nothing.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
You never tell a possible employer that you have already accepted a different position at your current employer.
That can ensure that you do not get an offer from the possible employer because you have just shown the possible employer that you are not reliable for a long term commitment.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:26 AM

I obviously I am I been with this company for 4 years .

Old 12-11-2014, 10:44 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,193,719 times
OP, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing job-wise i.e. switching and looking for better options, but the interviewer could be misled to believe that you are a job hopper or indecisive about your career and could go against you.

Never ever discuss another job offer that you may have on hand or where you are interviewing during the interview phase. That could however he shared during salary negotiation but that's another topic.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
Your job hasn't even started yet--they can easily offer it to someone else. You need to take the best offer for you. I know nurses who have worked in multiple hospitals; it has not affected their ability to get a job. That said, I wouldn't have mentioned the new job offer.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM

I am a newer nurse - 1 year experience . I started at my current company when I was in school - and have had 3 positions there . I think it shows my commitment and that I am a great employee - but I'm ready for something new . I just want to give enough notification to the new unit I'm supposed to start if I need to.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Maybe it shouldn't have - but I did and can't change it now . I'm just worried it will sway the opinion .

Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,220,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNgirl832 View Post
I am a newer nurse - 1 year experience . I started at my current company when I was in school - and have had 3 positions there . I think it shows my commitment and that I am a great employee - but I'm ready for something new . I just want to give enough notification to the new unit I'm supposed to start if I need to.
A company doesn't care if you are a "Great" employee. All it did was show how naive you are to how the world works.

1) Never tell a prospective employer you accepted other job
2) Why take part time work over full time that could advance your career?
3) Never share too much information!!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 AM

399 posts, read 569,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNgirl832 View Post
Hi - I am new to the city-data forums! I have a little bit of a job dilemma and want some opinions. I am a nurse and have been applying for new jobs for about 2 months . Sent my resume out to multiple different hospitals and positions . Luckily quickly set up and I had an interview at the hospital I currently work at but on a different floor . ( my friend works on that floor and helped me to get the interview - which I very thankful for ) . I went to interview and got a phone call before I was even home with a job ( part time night 7a-7p- which I'm not crazy about --- but I need to get off my current floor ) I accepted this over the phone . Next day I get an email from human resources from one of the leading children's hospitals in the WORLD to come in to interview - of course I accept to go on the interview . I interview - went great !- then I shadowed on the unit - went great. I spoke with the hiring manager after and I felt like it was appropriate to tell her that I am set up to start a new jobs at the current hospital in the new year . The manager I was interviewing with laughed and asked me where do you want to work ? And said that if she were my current hospital and I now declined the job I had already accepted she would be upset and I would be burning bridges . She said she wasn't trying to "school" me but that professionally I shouldn't take a job then back out .

I was so upset that I really didn't explain myself to her . She told me I would hear about this position within a week . I was do upset I cried as soon as I stepped out of the building - thinking I ruined my chances . I sent her a very nice thank you email and explained that I had accepted the new position at my current hospital well before her hospital ever contacted me . And that i shared this information with her so if I needed to I could get my new manager ample warning if I were to accept at the other hospital . I said that I am flattered that you are considering me and very hopeful . I haven't heard back from her .

What do you think ? I'm so upset how I left the interview I felt like I needed to explain myself . The hospital I just interviewed with is a full time rotating days and nights - which I would like more .

Please share your honest opinion .
As bluntly as I can possibly be, I think you talk too much.

There is never a situation where you need to spill your entire life story to anyone, present or future employers included. You showed your hand and it could really, potentially bite you in the butt.

This lady sounds like she is the epitome of integrity and loyalty and she judges the candidates the interviews with the same..... measuring stick.

You now appear flaky and willing to up and go at the chance of a better offer. Next time just keep your mouth shut and vent on it on city data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment