Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 AM

91 posts, read 528,186 times

Advertisements

This article is about how many workers are stuck in bad jobs because of the economy:

Economy leaves some U.S. workers stuck in bad jobs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090827/us_nm/us_workplace_bosses - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
But you've also got to wonder how many of them were in that same job even when times were good and didn't make a change.

I'm certainly not saying there aren't terrible bosses and terrible companies out there, we've all worked for them at one point or another.

But when unemployment was sitting at 3% there was still a significant population of unhappy workers who either lacked the motivation and/or skills, or were simply paralyzed by the thought of making a change when they were unhappy. Now that they are miserable, there's nothing they can do about it. And that's for the people who could potentially make a change. There is also a large population of workers that are dissatisfied with their jobs, but can't change because they lack the skills and/or education to do anything except ring a register, flip burgers, or mow lawns. That is not the fault of the economy or the employer, but rather the employee.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
People are lazy. They like to clock 20 years at the same job because there is comfort in sameness. (and they like to complain).

I know I have busted my butt to find a job this year while people sit around complaining how their jobs suck. I've had my share of bad jobs...I'd say most of my jobs were bad but you can't just sit back and accept it for years and years. Even though I don't have a job, I know I try every day to find something good. I don't just accept that this is it and I will never do any better.

Like Annerk says, some people can't be bothered to try. Also you have to learn some skills or do something or you will just be in that same job for years and have no outs.

I saw my mother do the same awful factory job for years because it was close, convenient to home, and easier than trying something else. (Also no one encouraged her to get a new job).

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM

853 posts, read 4,039,088 times
Although I think sometimes people stay in bad jobs even when the economy is good, it seems to me that right now many companies are treating people badly, and/or expecting too much out of them, which is making them not like their jobs more than they would normally. Also, because there are less choices, people feel powerless and more stuck.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:09 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times
Face it, many employers are plain sadistic, in god times and bad. I had a sadistic boss last job, she reveled in her meaness. Whatever makes you feel good!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:14 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
Or some employers changed with the times---I've been at my current job for over 5 years. When the economy was booming, I had the best bosses/coworkers/workload, etc. Once it started to tank, the whole climate changed. It's become cutthroat and just plain nuts. I almost want to ask my real employer to stand up

Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Although I think sometimes people stay in bad jobs even when the economy is good, it seems to me that right now many companies are treating people badly, and/or expecting too much out of them, which is making them not like their jobs more than they would normally. Also, because there are less choices, people feel powerless and more stuck.
I don't disagree that there are companies who make it awfully hard to perform and do a great job.

However, I don't fault companies for cutting the fat and leaning their entire operations.

People fail to remember that businesses are ought to make money for their owners. Plain and simple. The entire purpose of a corporation (and it's true legal purpose) is to benefit the shareholders of that company i.e. make profit and mitigate loss. Corporations are not charities out to retain and hire people for the sake of hiring.

I look at my own company versus my mother's employer. I work for a large financial services company whereas my mom works for a legacy airline. In the area of onboarding new employees (think the whole process to get you into the system so that you can get paid) was seamless and efficient. My company on the other hand was bloated, inefficient, and bleeding money to accomplish the same tasks.

The difference is that my mom's company especially since 9/11 can not afford to lose a dime on non-revenue producing activities (i.e. HR, payroll, auditing, etc) whereas my company was so bloated and rich that who cares about a few million a year wasted?

Of course when the market turned and losses across equities and securities began to mount-- it no longer made sense to have large, inefficient departments anywhere across the company. Cuts were made and business processes were leaned out. Unprofitable businesses were shuttered or sold. I am sure to those who happened to be on the lists for reduction definitely there are many who I presume probably feel that the cuts were unwarranted or unjustified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment