Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 06:13 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
There should be no tipping at all and restraunt owners should pay wait staff at least minimum wage. What an idiotic system.
The problem with your statement is that a good server can make substantially more money with tips than minimum wage.

I will say this in France you don't really tip at meals. You may leave a couple euro on the table after the bill is paid-- in fact if you pay with a debit or credit card there is no way to leave a tip on the credit card. It is not allowed.

The cost of service is already covered in the price of the meals. But you are still expected to leave a few euro if the service was good-- but no more than like 2 or 3.

I will add that a sit down restaurant or brasserie is much more expensive than eating here in the US. So.. you wouldn't have the prices you have currently here if service is included. Just saying.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 03:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
That would be fine with me. Why is it only in the restraunt business do customers have to add on to the cost of the product to help pay the staff's salary?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
How do you split something 60%/50%?

And no one is making anyone work there. If they dont like it, they are free to leave at any time

Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushikraze View Post
That's BULL****! Do u also knw the chef is getting PAID (a fat salary or very nice wage) to cook,while the server is paid $2.13hr *AND* has to split their tip usualy 50/50 or 60/50 60% to hibachi "chef"
PLUS whatever tip the hibachi chef gets from the customers IS NOT SHARED WITH THE SERVER! & most ppl don't knw this & tip out the chef a percentage of what they WHERE going to give the server! That's very messed up & unfair!
*SAME GOES FOR HE SUSHI CHEFS*

Customers shldnt be soo naive,or shld be informed/educated on this . . . Dam I don't even knw what to call it! I can't put into words how F***ed up that system is!
& I feel real bad for servers who are paying to work at these places. IT's SUPPOSED TO BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Ppl go to work to get paid! Not to pay to work!!!
Really unfair! & that's all I gotta saya bout thayat.
expecting the customer to be informed on this is a little ridiculous. its their money. plus im sure anyone who is slipping bills into the chefs apron is also tipping the waitstaff appropriately

Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,099 times
to the person who explained the tipping system:
thank you for enlightening us poor dumb and naive customers - you absolutely right - i usually tip each server (who served me even if they gave me the chopsticks or extra napkins) - because i know how hard it is to watch unknowing customer who assume the chefs split tips fairly - they don't - and many chefs think they own the restaurant so they expect (and even demand) more - i went to one place where the chef was so rude when one of the customers only tipped less than 10% of the bill (the chef should use common sense and count all the tips from all the customers) but they dont - so the poor waiters and waitresses and cleaners get almost nothing - not even a thank you from the chef - they act jsut like that moron donald trump anyway - please dont lose hope - there are some decent customers who realize how hard it is to be a server in a restaurant where tipping does not follow normal customs - a word to all potential hibachi and teppanyaki customers - PLEASE TIP WAITERS AND WAITRESSES AND CLEANERS FIRST AND THEN TIP THE CHEF - HE GETS PAID THREE TIMES AS MUCH AS THE POOR SERVERS - IF HE DOES NOT DO HIS JOB - REPORT HIM TO THE MANAGER - IF THERE ARE COMPLAINTS - HE WILL BE REPLACED - BELIEVE ME - THERE ARE MANY MANY MANY CHEFS WAITING TO GET A JOB
THANK YOU

Old 11-03-2016, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
I work for a hibachi restaurant. Chefs get 55%. That includes regular tables and sushi bar. I have to turn in all my tips at the end of every night, credit card and cash. and I get 45% of all the tips I made for a week every Monday on a check. I don't get a cut from the tip jars on the sushi bar, or from the tips the chefs get handed to them. I do think I deserve more. I buss my own tables, sweep, clean, set my own tables, i make settings, i mix my own drinks for every single customer because we do not have a bartender. I do so much side work that people don't even realize. I'm not just there to look pretty. I work really hard. sometimes from opening at 10 am until closing at 10 pm, and if there are customers who stay past closing, I have been there sometimes 2 hours past closing time. That's a 12 hour day. for only 45% of the tips I worked so hard for. I am there taking care of customers before the chef comes to the table and after. Clean up your mess, make and refill your drinks. I make the soups and salads. We have an hour of prep to do before the restaurant opens. Chefs come in 10 mins before opening. I have an hour of closing duties after closing time. Chefs leave an hour before closing time. I make sure you have everything you need so you can have the best experience. While the chef comes out and cooks you chicken and rice on a grill, throws his utensils around for a few minutes then leaves. I could do that... but they wont let me because I am not an Asian man..... Cooking is not hard. Do it at home all the time. Taking care of multiple tables at once... with all the different stuff we have to do all at once... You try doing it for 2 weeks. Guaranteed 50% of people cant handle it. We have had more new people quit than I can count because they cant handle it. Makes me very upset when people say "waitress steal more than 50% of the tip" No. Chefs steal my 55%. Because they get a nice fat salary already for doing what we can all do at home.

Last edited by Szaffi; 11-03-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 980 times
Do you currently still live in Michigan?? Do you have a chef that is considered "management"?? If so I have some good news for you!!!

Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
expecting the customer to be informed on this is a little ridiculous. its their money. plus im sure anyone who is slipping bills into the chefs apron is also tipping the waitstaff appropriately

The chef keeps every penny of his side tip. If a customer gives a server a side tip she is forced to turn it in to split or she will lose her job for dishonesty. There is no way around it. The server splits all tips and there are cameras..

Old 02-16-2018, 11:47 AM

29 posts, read 16,331 times
Default Tip splitting

Tennessee has VERY explicit laws to protect tip-earning employees. I don't know if our laws are similar to other states or not, but....I am familiar with Tn DOL laws. Just go online to TNDOL and you can scroll to the part that lays out the rules. Ex: chefs are not tip-earners as concerns the law(in TN). Anyone can give one a separate tip(a chef, janitor, etc. a tip personally. Table-servicers/servers have laws that protect them from greedy owner/operators, etc. The laws are very specific, also, about how the money is to be handled that comes into what is called a 'tip-pool' and who the qualified employees are that get to 'split' this money. 'IF' there is only one table server, then there is no reason for a tip-pool. At no time is the tip-money the property of the owner/operator. The state site is a real eye-opener for anyone working for a cheating employer. They tend to target young, inexperienced wait-staff that don't have funds to challenge them in court. The wonderful people at the Tn Dept. of Labor are in Cookeville and/or online.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:55 PM

29 posts, read 16,331 times
Default Wait-staff in small restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalBuddha View Post
The chef keeps every penny of his side tip. If a customer gives a server a side tip she is forced to turn it in to split or she will lose her job for dishonesty. There is no way around it. The server splits all tips and there are cameras..
The only valid(legal) tip pool must consist of more than ONE person doing all of the table-servicing, without any other waitress present. IF someone desires to tip the chef, it is between them, since the chef already makes at least minimum wage.
I would STRONGLY suggest that anyone with questions, go online to: (your state's abbreviation, followed by DOL (DOL is the abbreviation for Department of Labor. Ex: Tennessee: TNDOL. The laws for tipped employees can possibly be a little different, but it is all explained there. You could also get their contact phone number online and phone them directly. The DOL is there to protect the workers of the state, and also to help the employer be 'legally compliant'.
Don't take opinions on it, go directly to the state's DOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment