Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times

Advertisements

Your opinion. The company continues to grow and has been in business for over 25 years. One of the reasons that they've done so well is that they don't have to do things twice, because they are able to hire people that get them done right the first time--unlike their competition that loses money on a regular basis because they hire cheap labor who can't follow directions.

Following rules is actually very important in many fields. Do you think it would be OK for a hospital to not follow rules and plaster your medical hisotyr all over the Internet? Do you think a mechanic shouldn't follow instructions when replacing your brakes so you go off a cliff because they fail? I'll take those zombie rule followers anytime.

And yes, they hired me, and I've made them more than double my salary (in measurable profits) in the first five months. I'd rather work for a company that doesn't play games than a company who never gives employees a straight answer about things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 AM

563 posts, read 1,710,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was laid off earlier this year, and I did have to find a new job. I followed the instructions on how to apply and didn't apply for jobs I was clearly unqualified for. I don't believe in wasting other people's time or mine. So yes, I KNOW how it feels. It sucks.
Obviously your situation wasn't as dire as some other people's. After a while, when following the rules doesn't work, you start doing what you can.

I might wonder if the OP is married and has additional income, and whether or not she has children to support, and whether or not she had extensive savings at the time of being laid off.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:57 AM

What does it matter? I still have bills that need to be paid. Yes, I had a cushion of savings, but that wasn't just left there by the tooth fairy. We've lived well below our means for years in order to have that cushion.

My current job is a step backwards from where I was, but at least it's work. I've heard far too many people who didn't want to work for less than they were making, or step backwards in their career.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What does it matter? I still have bills that need to be paid. Yes, I had a cushion of savings, but that wasn't just left there by the tooth fairy. We've lived well below our means for years in order to have that cushion.

My current job is a step backwards from where I was, but at least it's work. I've heard far too many people who didn't want to work for less than they were making, or step backwards in their career.
Well if you had a cushion of savings then you have no idea what it's like for those who don't, and who have lost their jobs, and who have no idea where their next meal is going to come from or who are about to lose their house and wind up on the street. Not everyone has somewhere to go, and not everyone has finances to fall back on. Some people live WEEK TO WEEK, and most people live MONTH TO MONTH, and a job loss at any time is a complete disaster within 2-4 weeks.

Living well below your means to put money into savings is still living, and some people live below their means EVERYDAY and still cannot put anything in savings. Some people have nothing. Obviously this is something you can't understand at all. Living below your means to put money into savings is not suffering. That is a choice that most of us make if we are able.

I suggest you take a hard look at yourself and why you are so critical of people who are just trying to survive and get a job. Most people I know that are unemployed are willing to take major steps back just to get a job. I think you are blind if you think most people won't. Yes, there are some people who can't swallow their prides and refuse to get a job that pays less or is demeaning in work, but most of us need to survive and that trumps any pride we might have had (and already lost).

I am losing my apartment and everything I have because of my job loss, and it happened in two month's time. And this is only because I got a small severance to tide me over, and had been able to put a very meager amount into savings after a financially tragic life event (some people have medical or other catastrophies and can't save money because of it!!!) so I had a small amount there. I am lucky enough to have family with an available bedroom that I can move into so I'm not on the streets. I am very aware of how lucky I am to have that. OPEN YOUR EYES my dear, a lot of people suffer in this world. Stop being so critical about minor annoyances in yours.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,625 times
Well if the company is doing well and taking care of their people you won't last long.

You seem to be quite the negative biatch. I would fire you in a heartbeat if I found out you were on the internet complaining about your job. Surely you could find other ways to make yourself feel better than to gripe about a few resumes that didn't fit the rules. Grow the **** up.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
As a former business owner I find your idea of hiring only people that follow the rules a really bad business decision at the very least and may say more about you than the people applying. Given that you've taken to the internet to express your frustration just compounds my notion that there is something very wrong with you as a person and possibly with your company. It certainly doesn't sound like a place I would encourage someone to apply nor does it seem fitting with a company going somewhere.

So people apply who aren't qualified, get over it or stop hiring if you can't handle the realities of the position. When I ran my business I specifically told HR to place ads that said "no phone calls" in bold print, but to basically only hire people who called. But then again I didn't want typical mindless worker bees I wanted aggressive people, take charge types, who really wanted a job.

Following rules is a poor indicator, btw, of talent. Most talented people don't follow rules in fact while most ordinary people do and companies are really just a collection of people. Collect a bunch of zombie rule abiding people and you become a boring, non inventive, complacent company filled with a bunch of twits. Don't believe me? They hired you didn't they?
Exactly, she doesn't kno how stupid she sounds complaining about something so minor.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Well if the company is doing well and taking care of their people you won't last long.

You seem to be quite the negative biatch. I would fire you in a heartbeat if I found out you were on the internet complaining about your job. Surely you could find other ways to make yourself feel better than to gripe about a few resumes that didn't fit the rules. Grow the **** up.

Say that one more time, I LIKE THAT-lol I told that NUT most of the unemployed people on here won't give a SH*T about what annoys her at work.

BTW, her name is Annie Toot

Old 08-29-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Well if you had a cushion of savings then you have no idea what it's like for those who don't, and who have lost their jobs, and who have no idea where their next meal is going to come from or who are about to lose their house and wind up on the street. Not everyone has somewhere to go, and not everyone has finances to fall back on. Some people live WEEK TO WEEK, and most people live MONTH TO MONTH, and a job loss at any time is a complete disaster within 2-4 weeks.

Living well below your means to put money into savings is still living, and some people live below their means EVERYDAY and still cannot put anything in savings. Some people have nothing. Obviously this is something you can't understand at all. Living below your means to put money into savings is not suffering. That is a choice that most of us make if we are able.

I suggest you take a hard look at yourself and why you are so critical of people who are just trying to survive and get a job. Most people I know that are unemployed are willing to take major steps back just to get a job. I think you are blind if you think most people won't. Yes, there are some people who can't swallow their prides and refuse to get a job that pays less or is demeaning in work, but most of us need to survive and that trumps any pride we might have had (and already lost).

I am losing my apartment and everything I have because of my job loss, and it happened in two month's time. And this is only because I got a small severance to tide me over, and had been able to put a very meager amount into savings after a financially tragic life event (some people have medical or other catastrophies and can't save money because of it!!!) so I had a small amount there. I am lucky enough to have family with an available bedroom that I can move into so I'm not on the streets. I am very aware of how lucky I am to have that. OPEN YOUR EYES my dear, a lot of people suffer in this world. Stop being so critical about minor annoyances in yours.
I crawled my way up from the bottom as a single mother when my ex decided that he wasn't ready to be a father, cleaned out our bank accounts and split when I was five months pregnant. I became homeless practically overnight, and spent the next three months sleeping on friends sofas until I could scrape together the moeny together for another apartment. I made $1 too much for food stamps or WIC, $4 too much for the EIC. I got no child support--ever--and not through lack of trying.

Don't tell me I don't know what it's like to go hungry so my child can eat, handwash clothes in the bathtub because I couldn't afford the change for the laundrymat, or pray that my 12 year old rust bucket Chevy would start each morning. For several weeks while I was pregnant I walked two miles every day from the closest bus stop to my job, because my car had died and I didn't ahve the money to fix it. Do you know what it's like walking two miles twice a day when you are eight months pregnant?

It's not the "minor annoyance" that the post was about, it was the fact that people can't follow simple instructioins, and then can't figure out whey they aren't getting jobs. And I personally know people who refused to take a step back in their career, or to take a pay cut. There are people who post on these boards who "won't do this" and "can't do that" and do nothing but moan because they can't find work. I'm not the one that needs to open my eyes.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:

I'm not complaining about my job. I like my job. And after I gave the first few non-compliant resumes to my boss, he told me to just delete them from now on if they can't figure out how to follow basic instructions, he doesn't even want to botther looking at them.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly, she doesn't kno how stupid she sounds complaining about something so minor.
From the king of stupidity--the guy who can't even decide whether to wear a coat when it's cold outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment