Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Seems that you are the one who can't let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's all she has ever done on here is GLOAT and KICK people when they are down. Never understood why she does that
What you attribute to annerk is exactly what you do, Grasshopper, with your smug lack of compassion and condescending attitude. Be careful about putting yourself into an arena when your innumerable posts and comments can be seen at the click of a mouse.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:03 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Seems that you are the one who can't let it go.
I believe I already posted:

"Look...the point is...please stop complaining. There are too many people out of work and nobody cares to hear about your minor annoyances, regardless of your view or mine. Be considerate of those of us who are struggling and keep your petty complaints to yourself. The world is full of much bigger problems."

I think that was a pretty much "agree to disagree, but lets be kind" comment. I am done speaking with you, you aren't worth any more of my time.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Gosh, see what I miss when I actually have a life and leave the house!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
I have a job posted for the company I work for. It is VERY specific about stating if you aren't local, don't apply. It even gives specific geographic areas you must live in. It says we will discard all non-local resumes. It gives specific instructions as to how to apply--cut and paste resume into body of e-mail, include three references, a couple of other things which frankly are ridiculous but there to see how well people follow basic instruction. It even says something along the lines of "Read this carefully and follow instructions to apply as if you would follow instructions on the job" and yet they don't.

We've gotten a dozen responses, and only three have actually paid attention to the directions, unfortunately one isn't really qualified, but at least he gets an "A" for effort. Two of the resumes were outright lying about where they live, using Orlando area addresses and working in NYC and Michigan. And yes, they are currently employed according to their resume, and working in blue collar jobs, so it's not like they are telecommuting.

At least my delete key works well.

Why on earth can't people stop wasting everyone's time?
If you randomly post a job opening on the Internet, you're going to attract all sorts of responses. Research where your target audience would look for work.

Your job is to find a candidate then it also requires you to sift through all the applicants. Proper placement of the employment ad will target people with the skills needed to do the job.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If you randomly post a job opening on the Internet, you're going to attract all sorts of responses. Research where your target audience would look for work.

Your job is to find a candidate then it also requires you to sift through all the applicants. Proper placement of the employment ad will target people with the skills needed to do the job.
Why would you think it's not listed in the proper place? For this type of job, it's in the perfect place. And it's working. We've got three very qualified applicants now, and they will be interviewing, making a decision, and extending an offer by the end of the week.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 AM

98 posts, read 229,926 times
Quote:
Why would you think it's not listed in the proper place? For this type of job, it's in the perfect place. And it's working. We've got three very qualified applicants now, and they will be interviewing, making a decision, and extending an offer by the end of the week.
Your attitude speaks volumes.....
Sounds like a dumpster company wanting someone with masters degree.
Florida is the armpit of the south anyway...lol

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam552311 View Post
Your attitude speaks volumes.....
Sounds like a dumpster company wanting someone with masters degree.
Florida is the armpit of the south anyway...lol
The ad is for a skilled labor position. It doesn't require a high school diploma let alone a masters.

It does require some verifiable experience and the ability to accurately follow very specific directions. And it pays $15-18 an hour to start, depending on exprience, with a raise after 90 days and free health insurance. (That information is not in the ad to further weed out people tossing darts at the board, people with experience in the feild know what the "competitive wage" for the position are.)

My guess is that the majority of the unemployed people around here would be pushing each other off cliffs to get this job.

Now what were you saying?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's all she has ever done on here is GLOAT and KICK people when they are down. Never understood why she does that
Some people feel like they have to put others down to make themselves feel better. That may or may not be the case here, but I cannot think of a good reason otherwise.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:47 PM

348 posts, read 846,922 times
Quote:
I'm not complaining about my job. I like my job. And after I gave the first few non-compliant resumes to my boss, he told me to just delete them from now on if they can't figure out how to follow basic instructions, he doesn't even want to botther looking at them.
I don't think there is anything wrong with a company expecting applicants to follow instructions and pay attention to details during the hiring process, ESPECIALLY if the day-to-day position requires it in order to be effective.

I am an admin assistant and I can tell you I've seen admins hired that knew absolutely nothing about following directions, being dependable, proper grammar and spelling, team-playing skills, being on time every morning. They couldn't get along with their coworkers, were lazy, catty. It was an absolute disaster every time. Unfortunately they were below the Boss' radar so they would get away with it. They get hired because they know how to smooze the hiring manager but that's only skill they have that keeps them from being fired. That's just my observation of the corporate world. If a MacDonald's employee was lazy and showed up late every day they would be fired in a NY minute. Okay I'm done ranting now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment