Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 PM

297 posts, read 899,504 times

Advertisements

This applies to everyone except for probably a few people out there.
How exactly do you know that a passion is going to remain a passion?

Let me give you a quick example. My friend used to think that artificial intelligence would be the most exciting thing to work on. He always obsessed over the concepts and what the future would look like. However, when he directly began to work with programming and design, he couldn't stand it and said he'd rather be doing something else. The bottom line is, there probably isn't the perfect career out there just waiting for you; if it's anything that pays decently and leads to a stable life it will require some degree of struggle and patience. A suitable analogy would be marriage. Many people desire good/great traits in their future spouse. However, they themselves are not willing to change if their spouse were to expect the same traits from them. Every job can be romanticized but when it comes to working at it 8+ hours a day, it won't be what you expected it to be. Nothing in life is easy, and not all is fun and games. Patience is the only way to get through life.

I think human can always rationalize anything to be a passion, for the same reason that they can rationalize anything to be a drudge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
You can manufacture your own challenges if you are stuck in a boring job. But the longer you do that job, the harder it gets to maintain that passion and enthusiasm. Eventually you just hit the wall and go through the motions. By that time you probably CAN perform your job well with your brain tied behind your back and no one will even notice. Sad. I think in the HR world they talk about engaged VS disengaged employees.

As you grow and age, chances are your interests and passions will change. If you are lucky, you may be able to aim your career in that direction/make changes. That's not always a viable option people can choose because of responsibilities or the economy. Sometimes the paycheck becomes more important than the job. If you want the freedom to change there's a price to pay. You have to shy away from the responsibilities that would make you too dependent on that paycheck.

Here's the voice of decades of experience. Almost any job becomes boring after a period of time.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I've always said if someone expected me to make love and eat chocolate cake 40 hours a week, eight hours a day, or else I'd have no money or health insurance or a roof over my head, I probably wouldn't enjoy said activities for long.
Passion and employment are great if you have a passion for something that is real employable. If you have a passion for Chinese interpretive dance, I think you're in big trouble.
I am of the baby boom "Do what you love and the money will follow" and I absolutely think it's crapola. Also, the time to figure out a payable passion is not when you're unemployed or behind in the rent and frantic. That's the time to "circle the airport" to give yourself some breathing room.
I still think passions are best left out of the employment loop, except for a very few driven and talented people (I am not one of these). I do think passions are best left to the volunteer world or avocation world, not money making.
I say this after a lot of years of considering these things and trying to make a living in areas that absolutely interest me and where I have no unusual talents whatsoever (or an anti-talent).

Old 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM

^ Did that saying really come from the baby boomers? I thought it came from Generation X or Y, but then again I'm part of Generation Y so I really wouldn't know.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I thought it was a boomer idea, along with everyone around you, saying, "Go for it!" when you go to do some crazy venture that they're unwilling to try themselves.
A lot of people have made money running seminars for middle-aged people (usually women) with the title, "Do what you love and the money will follow." I absolutely thought it came from baby boom times, but it's hardly a new idea. Wherever it came from, I still think it's airy-fairy dead wrong, or at least unlikely.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:50 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,918 times
now is not the economy to be picky about ideal jobs/passions

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,767 times
I don't need to love my job I just don't want to be stressed and stifled. I can be bored, and underappreciated as long as I am left to do a job in peace.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post

Let me give you a quick example. My friend used to think that artificial intelligence would be the most exciting thing to work on. He always obsessed over the concepts and what the future would look like. However, when he directly began to work with programming and design, he couldn't stand it and said he'd rather be doing something else. The bottom line is, there probably isn't the perfect career out there just waiting for you; if it's anything that pays decently and leads to a stable life it will require some degree of struggle and patience. A suitable analogy would be marriage. Many people desire good/great traits in their future spouse. However, they themselves are not willing to change if their spouse were to expect the same traits from them. Every job can be romanticized but when it comes to working at it 8+ hours a day, it won't be what you expected it to be. Nothing in life is easy, and not all is fun and games. Patience is the only way to get through life.

I think human can always rationalize anything to be a passion, for the same reason that they can rationalize anything to be a drudge.
My passions in life wouldn't pay bupkus if they were a job. Sadly, I have to work at something I am not passionate about to pay the bills. My passions are left for my off-hours.

Kudos to anyone who can make a living following their passion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2009, 12:09 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post

I wonder if your friend had the right job related to artificial intelligence. Maybe he would have been a better fit marketing it or testing it, for example, rather than programming and designing it.

You know a person may have a passion for art but be a lousy artist. That doesn't mean they would make a lousy Museum curator or buyer.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 PM

In technical fields, testing is usually synonymous with programming/designing.

As for marketing, he would have to get a marketing degree... which is actually too roundabout for this situation, and can be considered a completely different interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment