Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,901 times

Advertisements

l lost my job about 6 months ago, lost my apartment last month because l couldn't pay the rent, was taken in by a friend who gave me the end of the week to leave him, the bill on my phone is due on thursday with no money to pay it, down to my last 50 dollars. l have done all that need be done towards getting a job- online applications, knocking on office doors , signing up with a recruiting firm all to no avail. All through these l have been encouraging my self that toomorrow will be better but loo it never does.
For the first time in my life l am saying- am beaten,l have had enough ,am giving up all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:35 PM

54 posts, read 209,143 times
Have you applied at places below what your "ideal job" is? I mean, sure, you may be a [insert profession], but there's no reason to be too proud to flip burgers or stock shelves if that's what it takes to pay the bills for now.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,080,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeyofo View Post
l lost my job about 6 months ago, lost my apartment last month because l couldn't pay the rent, was taken in by a friend who gave me the end of the week to leave him, the bill on my phone is due on thursday with no money to pay it, down to my last 50 dollars. l have done all that need be done towards getting a job- online applications, knocking on office doors , signing up with a recruiting firm all to no avail. All through these l have been encouraging my self that toomorrow will be better but loo it never does.
For the first time in my life l am saying- am beaten,l have had enough ,am giving up all.
I'm with you on that man. I'm in the same situation. I'm totally screwed, totally humbled, totally stripped of all pride. Every last materialistic and greedy impulse left in me has been stripped away, I cannot cling to such desires anymore, I've had to accept a life of utter poverty.

I decided to leave the country. I am literally leaving the US just in time to avoid complete financial meltdown. So I managed to find an escape.

Otherwise, I would probably just go homeless and go to the forest and be a wandering bum. I am not kidding whatsoever when I say that either. I had it all planned out, I was going to load up my backpack with stuff, and just dissapear into the wild.

Things are tough. Making money is difficult. The American people need to come together and work on a solution to this instead of waiting around for the Government to fix it. Because right now, the Government has got the people on a short leash in this country.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,447,051 times
Do you qualify for unemployment benefits? Maybe its time you applied for emergency housing. Also, food stamps would likely help you.

Have you tried doing odd jobs for money? Like cutting people's grass, cleaning houses, taking care of elderly folks?

As for the phone bill, if you don't have the money , well don't pay it. Do you really think they are going to come hunt you down so that they get their 60 dollars? More than likely your debt will be sent to a debt company and they will charge you, but if you have no place to live, they can't even get their money with a lawsuit. Try to make some money any way that you can for now. Babysitting is not for everyone, but if you charge less than a daycare, way less, you can easily make money off of that cus people don't want to pay cr*ploads of money to daycares. Go underground for a while if need be until you get a real job.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 AM

136 posts, read 107,857 times
I'm really sorry to hear of both your situations. I can relate. Through some divine act of God or something I was hired for a good position with a major company last week. This, after being unemployed for 10 months. Literally down to the last $50 as well.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 AM

8,056 posts, read 10,653,334 times
Why are these "flipping burger" jobs that pay a sufficient wage to cover rent and other bills?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 AM

968 posts, read 2,619,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Where[sic] are these "flipping burger" jobs that pay a sufficient wage to cover rent and other bills?
More than that, most of those jobs would never hire me (due to my background). Even manipulating my resume would not be enough to make me qualify for min-wage job.

Okeyofo, consider getting a pre-paid track phone so you have some method of communicating with others. Try to call any church, local agency or organization to seek assistance.

I know this may sound weird but have you considered going back to school. Going back full-time or going to a truck driving school could give you an opportunity to gain a skill, get a roof over your heard, and get basic needs met. With school comes debt, but right now based on the circumstance, this could be your best bet in the interim.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,481,036 times
Do you have any family you can live with?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
us army the magicians that teach how to put food on the table and roof over your head.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 AM

370 posts, read 441,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
I know this may sound weird but have you considered going back to school. Going back full-time or going to a truck driving school could give you an opportunity to gain a skill, get a roof over your heard, and get basic needs met. With school comes debt, but right now based on the circumstance, this could be your best bet in the interim.

I have a serious question about this (call me naieve) but how do people get qualified for students loans when they have no income and their credit is wreaked from foreclosure or bankruptcy?

I wanted to take out student loans for COL because I cant find a job and was going to concentrate on being a full time student for 4 years but I need a consigner because my credit is wreaked (it used to be 792). So how do I better myself and dont say pell grants scholarships because I already applied for them and Im talking about loans to cover rent, car payments, food etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment