Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:36 PM

45 posts, read 244,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When I did this in early 2009 I was told by people on here I was wasting employers time
The individuals calling you out are jaded and disappointed that they aren't able to secure interviews successfully. I wish I had more interviews to practice my behavioral question and answers as I will likely be entering that phase of the interview process rather shortly for a large corporation.

By the way, I went out with some friends today to watch football and did some networking at the same time! A friend of a friend who was with us works at an online university which has openings for HR positions, which is the field I have been an intern for the past 4 months. Got her number and said I would connect with her next week.

It's really not that hard to network with people, they are willing to help you as they were most likely in the same position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
IMO networking is a pile of crap. The average person is so scared about his or her own job that even if you mention in casual conversation that you are unemployed and looking, the other person gets this panic face and avoids you like you have a disease.

I have lived in this state 2 years and know a fair amount of people, but no one, apart from one person, was interested in helping me find a job. Even agencies can't find work for people in the last year.

I guess maybe networking works for some but it is a MYTH that it is the best way and that 'it always works to know someone.'

Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Oh Gypsy, I am so glad to hear your comments! I was hoping that you would read and respond to this thread. How well I know the look. I like to call it the "deer in the headlights look". I'll be on here a good bit today unless our power goes out. Actually, today is a good day to be unemployed in Georgia because we are in the middle of a major flood. I'm so glad I'm not on the highway right now. Now that everyone has struggled to work and school they are telling them to stay home. Great planning,huh?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM

96 posts, read 620,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
IMO networking is a pile of crap. The average person is so scared about his or her own job that even if you mention in casual conversation that you are unemployed and looking, the other person gets this panic face and avoids you like you have a disease.

I have lived in this state 2 years and know a fair amount of people, but no one, apart from one person, was interested in helping me find a job. Even agencies can't find work for people in the last year.

I guess maybe networking works for some but it is a MYTH that it is the best way and that 'it always works to know someone.'
Amen to that.The networking advice always seems to come from people who are already employed in secure positions.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:25 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
Amen to that.The networking advice always seems to come from people who are already employed in secure positions.
As well as the 'try something different' comments. I am so sick of 'thinking out of the box.'

I just want to find a job, apply and get it. People who are employed now are very lucky they don't have to 'be creative' just to find work, then get told 'they have an attitude' because finding a job the normal way is the only way they know how.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM

96 posts, read 620,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
As well as the 'try something different' comments. I am so sick of 'thinking out of the box.'

I just want to find a job, apply and get it. People who are employed now are very lucky they don't have to 'be creative' just to find work, then get told 'they have an attitude' because finding a job the normal way is the only way they know how.
If these people feel so confident about the advice they are giving, why don't they quit their jobs and go use it.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I believe in networking for everything--it's not just about finding a job. I needed a specific difficult to find service for my current job. I reached out to someone in my netowrk who I knew had used this particular service in the past and asked for a referral.

Instead of spending hours on the phone trying to find someone who could provide this specific type of service, I made one call, and found the right person.

That's just one example of networking.

And Gypsy, my guess is taht it's the way you are asking. You shouldn't expect someone to help you find a job, but rather to help you find the leads to find a job. Big, big difference.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Annerk is right on. If you wait until you need a job to start networking, then you're not networking. Networking is about building relationships before you 'need' them.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Annerk is right on. If you wait until you need a job to start networking, then you're not networking. Networking is about building relationships before you 'need' them.
Well that means networking advice should be given to GypsySoul or any other unemployed person on the board right?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I don't know what you're trying to say (big surprise) but I'm not trying to give anyone advice, just sharing my thoughts. If somebody wants to heed it, fine - if not, that's fine too. No skin off my nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment