Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

How honest are you with your boss? During annual review time, the boss will ask how I rate his performance. I always have answered that I dont have any issues (except one I told said "aside from being a Packer fan?").

Realistically there might be a couple things like hijacking meetings or micromanaging but I keep them to myself. Anyone braver than me...who his critiqued their boss behavior to the boss not some HR person. I'm sure there are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I am 100% honest, however I am a little lucky. At my job, everyone has the option to do anonymous, online performance feedbacks. Twice a year my boss sends a survey out to all of the people working for him, we fill it out, he reviews our answers and never knows who said what. If he ever tried to pry into who wrote what, I would probably stop being so honest, but so far my current boss has been pretty good about not taking the reviews personally.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
I try to be honest but think of how to approach it is difficult. I feel that if you don't talk to your manager about it, then nothing will change, which might make your job more difficult or frustrating that it needs to be. But I also think it depends on your boss too. Some managers are not people-managers and very difficult to talk to.

I used to have a manager that would send me random emails or blabber and would confuse me more than help me, so I told him that his random thoughts confused me sometimes and takes me longer to figure things out than if he just sent me 1 email when he knows what he wants me to do. He took it find and worked on controlling his urge to forward random emails. I was able to do that because I had a good relationship with him, but I have had managers where I would not be comfortable raising that issue.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM

302 posts, read 885,515 times
It depends. My direct boss, I will tell anything to. But I am also his friend outside of work, and we joke around all day, etc.

My higher up boss? I might have a few diplomatically phrased suggestions, but I wouldn't go too much into the negatives.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am 100% honest, however I am a little lucky. At my job, everyone has the option to do anonymous, online performance feedbacks. Twice a year my boss sends a survey out to all of the people working for him, we fill it out, he reviews our answers and never knows who said what. If he ever tried to pry into who wrote what, I would probably stop being so honest, but so far my current boss has been pretty good about not taking the reviews personally.
We do the same thing... but I'm definitely not afraid to tell my 'boss' what I think of him. Same with the CEO of the company...he's great, and if I have an issue with him, he's the first person I go to. My other boss (I'm in the middle of two departments, so technically I have two 'bosses') I don't think I'd tell...he's too passive aggressive and I'm afraid he'd take any criticism entirely the wrong way.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM

225 posts, read 644,013 times
Brutally honest. And she thanks me for it. I work for a small company and we're all free to make any comments we'd like as everyone is on friendly terms. It keeps us from getting to the point of frustration and no one smarts off or makes sarcastic comments. Everything is stated respectfully.

It makes up for some abusive job situations in the past.

I got lucky with that one. Not sure if the next will be as respectful.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
If I had a boss right now I would tell them they're doing great.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Good for all of you. Unfortunately I have seen the downside as a former colleague made some critiques about the direction of some programs that were implemented. I noted theat he started getting cut out of key projects and moved to less visible stuff. Thats the thin skinned corporate world in many cases.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,572 times
I knew my boss for 7 years when he was just an on air personality before he hired me at the radio station he bought.. we get along great, often joke around in the office and I'm always welcome to share my ideas for programming/promotions..... we're both very honest with each other when someone makes a mistake or whatever

Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
told the boss he was a dumb-a$$,screwed to much stuff on the job up,told the superintendent he was one for keeping him on,looked at his record,i was right,he was canned,and we got our stuff swinging the right direction.brutal honesty is still honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment