Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:27 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times

Advertisements

Well, in 2007 when I turned 16 I got hired at McDonald's and worked there for 4 years, then moved and made manager at Burger King for another 2 years. Unemployed for a year getting desperate, I applied to 2 different McD's right near my house, putting all my very relevant experience, and I didn't even get an interview or call. They were both hiring, too. So it can be tough to get a job for sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 01:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Okay lets us say that a fast food place is advertising for some part time help.

10 people apply and are waiting for their interview.

Of the 10 waiting one has a PH.D (highly over qualified and rejected)
Of the 9 remaining 2 have a BA. (qualified for Mgmt positions but no openings)
Of the 7 remaining 2 have a High School diploma (with limited work experience to be placed on call notice)
Of the 5 remaining who is going to be hired ( 1 out of 5 chances if your lucky at all)

Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 PM

1,104 posts, read 920,077 times
Think about this. You are the manager of a fast food chain. The job is completely menial and braindead but requires hard work. Your own managers are breathing down your neck about improving the performance of the restaurant and you recently got a bad score on one of their performance indicators. And two workers quit last week and customers are complaining about the queues. Are you going to hire, a) Mr Smith from California who got his Liberal Arts degree on easy street, wrote a thesis on anti-Capitalism and has no references, or b) Mr Bulak with no degree and speaks only a little English but has a reference from a factory manager in something that sounds pretty awful where he has worked a long time and swears he works hard?

If you are down and out, McDonalds will take you in. I've worked for both McDonalds and Burger King and neither were good jobs at all. But they were jobs. When I said "I had X qualification" no one wanted to know. But when I gave a scrappy resume and a plea that I needed work, because by then I needed work, I was in the Burger King uniform the next day, wearing the Burger King hat and washing the dishes. It was the need for the job, and it's not something to brag about really. But that's how you get a job at Burger King.

Think about this: if you can't get a job at Burger King, then you don't need the job. If you really needed the job, you could have it. It's a lousy job and pays nearly nothing, not even the bare minimum for survival unless you clock the overtime hard. You need to be working 60 hours a week plus, in a hot kitchen, being shouted at by your co-workers and customers and being depressed while the pop music plays and teenagers go away to be teenagers. But you need to need the job. You need to be friendless, family-less, savings-less, and without anywhere else to go. You need to be wearing trainers that are falling apart, have burnt scars or tattoos on your arms, have no money at all- not even a credit card, and wide, desperate eyes. That is your 'qualification' the interviewer looks for you to work a hard, horrible job.

And I am definitely not trying to sound racist or prejudiced at all, I don't believe the world should be a place where people of certain backgrounds should be 'designated' for certain jobs, as if that was from birth. Unfortunately that is the case sometimes and that is something we need to work to change.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Okay lets us say that a fast food place is advertising for some part time help.

10 people apply and are waiting for their interview.

Of the 10 waiting one has a PH.D (highly over qualified and rejected)
Of the 9 remaining 2 have a BA. (qualified for Mgmt positions but no openings)
Of the 7 remaining 2 have a High School diploma (with limited work experience to be placed on call notice)
Of the 5 remaining who is going to be hired ( 1 out of 5 chances if your lucky at all)

I believe it's a lot better jobs for someone with a PHD and BA to apply to than Mcdonald's like

Front Desk Security
Customer Service in a Call Center
Sales Associate at a Department store
Telemarketing

Old 10-26-2014, 03:04 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Think about this. You are the manager of a fast food chain. The job is completely menial and braindead but requires hard work. Your own managers are breathing down your neck about improving the performance of the restaurant and you recently got a bad score on one of their performance indicators. And two workers quit last week and customers are complaining about the queues. Are you going to hire, a) Mr Smith from California who got his Liberal Arts degree on easy street, wrote a thesis on anti-Capitalism and has no references, or b) Mr Bulak with no degree and speaks only a little English but has a reference from a factory manager in something that sounds pretty awful where he has worked a long time and swears he works hard?

If you are down and out, McDonalds will take you in. I've worked for both McDonalds and Burger King and neither were good jobs at all. But they were jobs. When I said "I had X qualification" no one wanted to know. But when I gave a scrappy resume and a plea that I needed work, because by then I needed work, I was in the Burger King uniform the next day, wearing the Burger King hat and washing the dishes. It was the need for the job, and it's not something to brag about really. But that's how you get a job at Burger King.

Think about this: if you can't get a job at Burger King, then you don't need the job. If you really needed the job, you could have it. It's a lousy job and pays nearly nothing, not even the bare minimum for survival unless you clock the overtime hard. You need to be working 60 hours a week plus, in a hot kitchen, being shouted at by your co-workers and customers and being depressed while the pop music plays and teenagers go away to be teenagers. But you need to need the job. You need to be friendless, family-less, savings-less, and without anywhere else to go. You need to be wearing trainers that are falling apart, have burnt scars or tattoos on your arms, have no money at all- not even a credit card, and wide, desperate eyes. That is your 'qualification' the interviewer looks for you to work a hard, horrible job.

And I am definitely not trying to sound racist or prejudiced at all, I don't believe the world should be a place where people of certain backgrounds should be 'designated' for certain jobs, as if that was from birth. Unfortunately that is the case sometimes and that is something we need to work to change.
I'm not exactly sure what you are ranting about in this post. We are describing how this company advertises that they are hiring but yet when we apply - we hear nothing. How can they "take me in" when they don't even speak to me, or interview me. ???

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but personally I'm willing to work any shifts and I'm always interested in advancing my abilities to cook and/or prepare a meal, and fast. But apparently that kind of thing isn't what they are looking for. Unless you are of a certain race.

The hiring process or as people say "the way people are hired for employment" has been corrupted. It's corrupt. Since 2008, strangely the same time when the economy crashed is when this all started. Before that it was different. These issues still existed, but they weren't as IN YOUR FACE as they are to people now.

Do you want an example of corruption? How about the fact that if you fill out a paper job application and hand it to someone other than the decision maker (which most unsuspecting people do) that there is a 80% chance your application will never get to where it needs to be? Because this employee you handed it to can just throw it in the garbage when you leave. You would never suspect something like this happened especially if you don't follow up on your applications. If you follow up you can ask the decision maker what happened to it and realize who had it last.

As an employee of a company, you have no right to decided wether or not I get a job there. That's between me and the manager. Furthermore, it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS if I have an interest in being employed there. But unfortunately, human beings aren't like this. They are easily corrupted and have no problem ruining someone else's chances. This is some of what I've experienced.

The truth is that they get hundreds of applications and they basically pick someone like a lottery. But again, if you have a certain skin color you can get first dibs.

Last edited by parried; 10-26-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 03:19 PM
FBJ

I do remember that the mistake someone people were making when they filled out applications for fast food jobs was their answer to "Can you work weekends?" Some people was putting NO

Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM

I always make it known that I can work any hours or shifts and it doesn't raise my odds.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:25 PM

It's about willing to work, willing to learn, being an honest person and being told no. You don't know what it's like to be someone who can't find a job. All I want is a job. But society is not giving me permission to have one. Otherwise it would have called me back for an interview a couple years ago.

In order to hire someone you have to pick up the reciever, dial the applicants phone number and politely ask them to come in for an interview. These managers don't do that. They do nothing.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
This being about McDonalds was why I gave the comparison of 10 possible employees based upon my first hand experience seeing some of those who were in McDonalds waiting for a job interview.

The large room with tables to one side had a bunch of people sitting with their applications in hand while drinking a FREEBEE cup of coffee. More then one interviewer was working.

The age level was from early/mid 20's to high as 40 with a couple men/women.

Considering the counter peoples age I would guess these people were hoping for a MGR assistant opening.

Now comes the clothes they were wearing if this was to be a MGR training position considering the age group I saw.

Casual clothes, Jeans, shirt tail out and last NO TIE or Sport Coat for the men and NO dress clothes on the women.

As a former business owner of 36 yrs (non food) I would never hire a solitary person there in any of my enterprises.

Of all the McDonalds that I have visited in over 60 yrs the MGMT people looked like MGRS...what else can I say.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:18 PM
FBJ

I really don't want anyone losing sleep over not being called back by Mcdonald's

It's so many other jobs out there that much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment