Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,851,046 times

Advertisements

In my fast food experience years ago, it was as easy as walking in and getting a paper application. Hired on the spot.

NOW: It is who you know. My hubby got hired at chick fil a last year because his friend was the manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,632 times
My friend got a job at Wendy's about a year ago by applying via Snag-a-job then in person interview.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:15 AM

21,877 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
This being about McDonalds was why I gave the comparison of 10 possible employees based upon my first hand experience seeing some of those who were in McDonalds waiting for a job interview.

The large room with tables to one side had a bunch of people sitting with their applications in hand while drinking a FREEBEE cup of coffee. More then one interviewer was working.

The age level was from early/mid 20's to high as 40 with a couple men/women.

Considering the counter peoples age I would guess these people were hoping for a MGR assistant opening.

Now comes the clothes they were wearing if this was to be a MGR training position considering the age group I saw.

Casual clothes, Jeans, shirt tail out and last NO TIE or Sport Coat for the men and NO dress clothes on the women.

As a former business owner of 36 yrs (non food) I would never hire a solitary person there in any of my enterprises.

Of all the McDonalds that I have visited in over 60 yrs the MGMT people looked like MGRS...what else can I say.
Must be different in Mexico.

The only way you know someone is a manger here is they don't obviously have down syndrome, speak English fluently. Even then it's a crap shoot. The best indicator is to read their name tag. Nobody goes around working in McDonald's in sport coats and ties.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I think the "knowing someone" thing is regional, but not true in many places.

When my nephew moved in with us last year in CO, everyone around us with teens and/or other young adults kept telling us how hard it was to get a job in COS, all but impossible. I don't take "impossible" for an answer. I taught the kid how to get a job... you go in, dressed appropriately (not a suit & tie for McD's, jeans and a clean tee), groomed well and not smelling of cigarette smoke. You smile and nod. Ask when you'll hear back, ask for the hiring manager's name.

Two days later, you WALK IN (don't call, this is a waste of time in minimum wage situations). If they aren't there, ask when they'll be in next and show up then. Do this every two days. Let the hiring manager know you WANT a job.

He had two within the first two weeks. One at a tire/lube place and the other at McDonalds next door. Until he got complacent and decided that he knew better than everyone else, he had two jobs. But as most 17 year old boys do, he got an attitude and decided that he deserved more. After all... wasn't he "planning on getting his GED" (though not doing anything for it) and didn't he MEAN to send his 5 month old baby child support (but kept buying sushi from the grocery store to take in to eat EVERYDAY at $22/pop, plus the soda, plus the cigarettes and the pot)... these things ADD UP?!

Anyway, it's possible, even in this economy. But remember that when "everybody's out of work" the only ones getting hired are those that know how to get a job... even for a place like McD's. And when a manager has 100+ applicants for 2 positions, they do a "pre-sort" on the apps... illegible handwriting - trash, will only work from 9 to 12 4 days a week and no weekends?... trash, used to date someone that looked like you... trash.

"Employees" do this too - there was a time, back in Detroit, minimum wage was $4 something. Taco Bell was offering people $7/hour to START, but didn't get takers. They had to go to $9/HR plus $500 bonus after 90 days... I knew SEVERAL people that were out of work, but thought they were "too good" to work fast food, even then... at least, until their unemployment ran out.
I agree, and think that many people have a huge problem with knowing how to get a job. It is about dressing right, and convincing the manager that you really do need a job and want to work for the lower level jobs. For other jobs it is showing that you are competent and have the skills they want.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times
My report about the McDonald potential applicants was not in Mexico (I am now retired here) but was across the border in San Ysidro Calif. Had crossed the border and needed a quick breakfast and coffee thus was able to see the people I described (within the last year) so you see it was fairly current.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:15 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I agree, and think that many people have a huge problem with knowing how to get a job. It is about dressing right, and convincing the manager that you really do need a job and want to work for the lower level jobs. For other jobs it is showing that you are competent and have the skills they want.
I'm filling out the application like anyone would. The problem is on the other end. The other end is corrupted. And thinks they shouldn't be accountable for their actions. And won't call me for an interview.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:36 AM

50,357 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
It depends on the area. If you're in an area with a lot of migrant workers, like California, you're probably not going to get a job at McDonalds. If you're in the Midwest like me it's easy.
Maybe this is an option now.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 AM

213 posts, read 205,038 times
Each store has its hiring quota. Some stores only hire Hispanics, and this is always because their hiring manager is Hispanic. Other stores will hire a mix, and this is usually because they have a black or white hiring manager. This is like that for most fast food stores, and most of them don't have single white or black face in them. I applied to dozens of these while unemployed. None responded...until I started giving my self an Hispanic surname (just to test a theory). In my specific area, a lot of stores seem to be hesitant to hire men as well. Most, if not all, fast food hiring managers have been minority women. I got more of a response by changing my gender on apps too.

In affluent areas it's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment