Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,962,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
I received brief interviews with McD managers in Tucson. I would have nice conversations about my situation. I got a nice, no thanks, soon after I told them I don't speak any Spanish.
Does this tick anyone else off or is it just me?

I can understand Spanish if the McD was in Mexico but it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 AM

15,885 posts, read 21,495,440 times
Well, I am bilingual (English, Spanish) as well as speak enough French and Portuguese to cater to those customers (of which there is a fair Portuguese and African French community where I live) and still couldn't get a job at McDonalds. Too many people applying for one position.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,962,690 times
During the depression of the 30's people with college degrees were pumping gas and cleaning windshields, checking oil etc.

The higher your education/experience...better chance for a job.

With me...had the education but found that it was better to own a business and control the desired income without depending on a pay check every week.

Many out there have the intelligence but look for someone else to supply them with a income while being your own boss has unlimited possibilities.

Steve

Old 10-18-2009, 11:03 AM

11,325 posts, read 18,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
During the depression of the 30's people with college degrees were pumping gas and cleaning windshields, checking oil etc.

The higher your education/experience...better chance for a job.

With me...had the education but found that it was better to own a business and control the desired income without depending on a pay check every week.

Many out there have the intelligence but look for someone else to supply them with a income while being your own boss has unlimited possibilities.

Steve
As well as unlimited possibilities to have NO income or even to PAY to work while still having bills. Not trying to knock owning a business (there'd be no jobs/economy if no one did and I'm the product of parents who owned a business/self-employed for most of their adult life), but it's not for everyone. In my view, if you're going to have a family, it's best to get it established well before you have those obligations (as was the case with my parents' example).

Old 10-18-2009, 04:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,902,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If that's the case I guess I still don't think they would see a threat, because obviously a "well educated" grad who has had a better job in the past wouldn't be angling after a lowly fast food management position anyway.
They'll angle for anything that they can get if they're reduced to working a minimum wage job. Think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I stand by my reasoning that college grads don't get hired for minimum wage positions because they make for more dissatisfied employees. Better to hire someone with just a HS diploma who will be content with the job and not looking for anything more.
Content employees? No, my past experience with these employees was that most of them were aimless malcontents with "issues" and big mouths.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,954,299 times
I think the "knowing someone" thing is regional, but not true in many places.

When my nephew moved in with us last year in CO, everyone around us with teens and/or other young adults kept telling us how hard it was to get a job in COS, all but impossible. I don't take "impossible" for an answer. I taught the kid how to get a job... you go in, dressed appropriately (not a suit & tie for McD's, jeans and a clean tee), groomed well and not smelling of cigarette smoke. You smile and nod. Ask when you'll hear back, ask for the hiring manager's name.

Two days later, you WALK IN (don't call, this is a waste of time in minimum wage situations). If they aren't there, ask when they'll be in next and show up then. Do this every two days. Let the hiring manager know you WANT a job.

He had two within the first two weeks. One at a tire/lube place and the other at McDonalds next door. Until he got complacent and decided that he knew better than everyone else, he had two jobs. But as most 17 year old boys do, he got an attitude and decided that he deserved more. After all... wasn't he "planning on getting his GED" (though not doing anything for it) and didn't he MEAN to send his 5 month old baby child support (but kept buying sushi from the grocery store to take in to eat EVERYDAY at $22/pop, plus the soda, plus the cigarettes and the pot)... these things ADD UP?!

Anyway, it's possible, even in this economy. But remember that when "everybody's out of work" the only ones getting hired are those that know how to get a job... even for a place like McD's. And when a manager has 100+ applicants for 2 positions, they do a "pre-sort" on the apps... illegible handwriting - trash, will only work from 9 to 12 4 days a week and no weekends?... trash, used to date someone that looked like you... trash.

"Employees" do this too - there was a time, back in Detroit, minimum wage was $4 something. Taco Bell was offering people $7/hour to START, but didn't get takers. They had to go to $9/HR plus $500 bonus after 90 days... I knew SEVERAL people that were out of work, but thought they were "too good" to work fast food, even then... at least, until their unemployment ran out.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM

543 posts, read 3,080,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
will only work from 9 to 12 4 days a week and no weekends?... trash
what if u r religious n don't want to work on Sundays, and Sundays only? Would your application go to trash?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:40 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,117,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
what if u r religious n don't want to work on Sundays, and Sundays only? Would your application go to trash?
Yep.

Nights and weekends are the status quo in ANY restaurant.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:11 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,006,185 times
Pretty soon it will be very hard to be employed by MickeyD's in Iceland.

Thousands line up for last Big Mac in Iceland - Yahoo! News (http://tinyurl.com/ybrqq72 - broken link)

Thousands of Icelanders lined up at McDonald's restaurants to order their last Big Macs before the U.S. fast-food chain abandons the crisis-hit island at midnight Saturday due to soaring costs.

The world's largest fast-food company said earlier this week that all three of its restaurants in Iceland, operated by franchisee Jon Ogmundsson, would shut down October 31. .....

In a nearby stationary store, Thora Sigurdardottir, a 35-year old nursing assistant, said she had no intention of going for a final McDonald's meal.

"Good riddance," she said.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,509,096 times
Saying "they don't hire people with degrees because they are fearful they will take their job," is applicable only on the micro level. Maybe the store manager has qualms about hiring Dr Smith to flip burgers, but I'm sure if the regional manager had a chance to put a well educated person in, at a low salary he would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment