Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
How would they know you have a degree unless you tell them? They don't do a background check.
It request the education info during the application process. I can't lie. How do I lie, when it is obvious from my resume or job history on an application that I have education. Can't tell from my writing skills, but most people can tell after a 15-20 minute interview.

I received brief interviews with McD managers in Tucson. I would have nice conversations about my situation. I got a nice, no thanks, soon after I told them I don't speak any Spanish. A large number of the McD's in Tucson are owned by one Hispanic person. Almost all of his family works in the restaurants in some capacity. I went to other ones not owned by him and experienced the same thing though. It's business, large population in Tucson is Hispanic. Why alienate your customers if you don't have to?

So, people with degrees can't get part-time flexible work because they will leave for better jobs? Why isn't McD's a better job? Do you know how hard it is to find a part-time white collar job that is weekends and nights? Even in a good economy. It was near impossible in Tucson.

I enjoyed working at McD's. It was easy and fun. I didn't come home with a mental headache or stress, just smelled like a french fry.

So how do you propose that a mother who doesn't want to pay for daycare work? Just because I have a degree doesn't mean I want a full-time, children raised in daycare, job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,223 times
You can freely leave off information from an employment application that is not relevant to the job. You can't lie if the question is "have you been convicted of a felony" or "are you at least 18 years old" or whatever.

Unless the question is specifically "do you have a college degree" then you don't have to tell them you have a college degree, just like you don't have to tell them how often you pick up your mail or whatever.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
My MIL was the lobby lady at McDonald's for years. She worked a whopping 12 hours a week. She got laid off several months ago. Laid off? Are you kidding me? She was making less than $100/week and they could not justify giving her hours. Even McDonald's is feeling the pinch.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:48 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,659 times
This is not anti-hispanic post, but a pro-English post.

The last time I went to In-Out burger, I ordered a number one, I requested ketchup, onions, cheese. The person taking my order did not speak enough English to understand my order. She kept repeating back to me, "number one", yes, with...., I got my burger, completely wrong. I think it is frustrating to go to fast food places and not be able to order food in English.

My Mom had the same problem, she wanted a chocolate shake at McDonalds, and the guy, just did not understand what she wanted.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
according to a poster above, McDonalds *does* favor the lessor skilled; they don't hire people with degrees b/c they know they would want to leave soon.
The idea that they don't hire these people because they'll leave quickly is bunk. It's quite common for places like McD's to have an annual turnover rate of over 70%! They're used to it, and expect it.

The only reason their managers don't hire educated people is because they fear that person will eventually take their job from them.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:43 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The only reason their managers don't hire educated people is because they fear that person will eventually take their job from them.
I keep seeing that argument put forth as a reason for college grads not being able to get minimum wage jobs, but something about it just strikes me as not right.
I mean the fry guy with a HS diploma might have worked his way into management, but I don't think it happens all that often anymore. Most mgrs already have a degree plus years of experience, so unless they are total incompetents, do they really have reason to fear for their jobs from hiring a worker that has an equivalent education, but no experience at all?

And when those companies do promote, they promote people that have been through their management training programs. Most of the people going into those management training programs are recently hired college graduates. Not seeing the threat here. Don't think that it really worries hiring managers too much.

I get the feeling the reason most minimum wage jobs are left to the less educated is because a lot of college grads have the attitude that the required "grunt work" is beneath them.
Two frequently heard phrases in minimum wage establishments are "You don't pay me enough to do that" and "I didn't go to school to have to put up with this ***t".
Not to mention college grads don't catch to on the grunt work any quicker than anyone else, so there isn't any real benefit to management in hiring someone with a degree over someone without one. With the very distinct possibility that the grad will be a much more dissatisfied worker.

When we had a large company shut down in our area we hired a couple of guys to fill a few positions. Nice, older, educated guys who are struggling and stressed because they aren't really suited for the work. It's not the same as sitting in an office and they aren't adapting well, but they have families to feed so they stay.

If you really want to get hired at a minimum wage job, go in and convince the manager that you love cleaning bathrooms and sweeping floors.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Yes you have to know people to work in McDonald's. That's how my cousin got a job there.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
The idea that they don't hire these people because they'll leave quickly is bunk. It's quite common for places like McD's to have an annual turnover rate of over 70%! They're used to it, and expect it.

That argument never made sense to me either because they know that people are not coming to work there to stay forever. If they need exctra help they will hire you. Lot of perople on this board fail to realize that mcdonald maybe fully staffed and masy not need any extra help at the moment

Old 10-17-2009, 06:50 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I keep seeing that argument put forth as a reason for college grads not being able to get minimum wage jobs, but something about it just strikes me as not right.
I mean the fry guy with a HS diploma might have worked his way into management, but I don't think it happens all that often anymore. Most mgrs already have a degree plus years of experience, so unless they are total incompetents, do they really have reason to fear for their jobs from hiring a worker that has an equivalent education, but no experience at all?
Whether or not we are talking about the "fry" guy that worked his way up, or someone who came in with a degree, it's all the same. Fast food management is still the bottom rung on the management chain, and most people accept the job only because they were not qualified to get something better. I don't know, maybe it's different in your neck of the woods, but up here, most of these managers can't even form a complete sentence when speaking to a customer.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Whether or not we are talking about the "fry" guy that worked his way up, or someone who came in with a degree, it's all the same. Fast food management is still the bottom rung on the management chain, and most people accept the job only because they were not qualified to get something better. I don't know, maybe it's different in your neck of the woods, but up here, most of these managers can't even form a complete sentence when speaking to a customer.
If that's the case I guess I still don't think they would see a threat, because obviously a "well educated" grad who has had a better job in the past wouldn't be angling after a lowly fast food management position anyway.

I stand by my reasoning that college grads don't get hired for minimum wage positions because they make for more dissatisfied employees. Better to hire someone with just a HS diploma who will be content with the job and not looking for anything more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment