Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times

Advertisements

Being written up a couple of times and then breaking their leg? (which, of course, means time off work)

My friend has been written up for a couple of things (one serious - her bosses' mental health license is on the line) and has missed maybe three days of work in the past month. I would think she won't get fired following a broken leg, as she could turn around and sue them.

I hope she doesn't get fired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Being written up a couple of times and then breaking their leg? (which, of course, means time off work)

My friend has been written up for a couple of things (one serious - her bosses' mental health license is on the line) and has missed maybe three days of work in the past month. I would think she won't get fired following a broken leg, as she could turn around and sue them.

I hope she doesn't get fired
If it's a "Right to Work" state, she doesn't have a leg to stand on, so to speak.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Did she break her leg on the job? What state?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
"Right to Work" (for less) has nothing to do with it.

If she was injured on the job it is probably covered by workers' comp and they probably can't fire her for it.

If she wasn't injured on the job, and the broken leg makes her unable to work, they can probably fire her, no problem.

In most states, most employment relationships are at will, which means the employee can be terminated for no reason or for any reason, assuming the reason does not violate some law or public policy, like racial or sexual discrimination or for reporting a workers' comp claim.

Your friend should talk to a lawyer who specializes in employment law if the worst happens.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
No, not injured on the job and in Arizona.

She'd been screwing up at work and broke her leg moving.

Arizona is not skewed in favor of the employee. I know one can be terminated at any time. However, given the fact she wasn't terminated after the screw ups, I am thinking now would be a very bad time for her employer to terminate her (considering a medical situation). Am I correct?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:

Arizona is not skewed in favor of the employee. I know one can be terminated at any time. However, given the fact she wasn't terminated after the screw ups, I am thinking now would be a very bad time for her employer to terminate her (considering a medical situation). Am I correct?
My employer just let someone go who missed too much time due to a medical condition--and she had a doctor's note. She had also been written up a few times before. Similar circumstances to your friend.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:

Not at all. If she can't do her job due to illness or imnjury, she can be terminated in all but a very few states. Sorry for the bad news.

What she might be able to do is file for FMLA is she otherwise qualifies until her leg is healed enough that she can go back to work without missing time for doctor or p/t appointments. If she has a disability policy, this would be the time to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment