Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 01:52 PM

13 posts, read 56,710 times

Advertisements

To me eight hours is a real long time. I am always at awe with people who come into work and at the end of the day say that they do not know where the time went and the day just flew by. In every office job I have had, the day seemed to last forever.

Another thing I do not understand is how people can come to work and sit at their desk all day and not talk to a single person for the entire day. At my employer most conversation with coworkers is online (email and instant message), so they can still be called a team player and not say a word verbally. I always wonder if these people ever get bored like me and want to reach out and talk to someone face to face, at least once in a while.

Can you go all day without talking to someone at work and not get bored, restless or lonely?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
I did, can, and do it

Old 01-02-2009, 02:24 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,523 times
My current job makes every 8 hour work day seem 14 hours long-all joking aside. I have had jobs where the day just flew by-this is not one of them.

As far as here- I TOTALLY understand how someone could go all day without talking to a single live human being. I noticed right away that the talkative employees here are all HEAVILY involved in a NASTY game of office politics. From day one I have decided to come in- go to my cubicle- do my job and leave. They may find me antisocial-but it keeps me out of the games.

Yes, I am bored, Yes, I get lonely-as a matter of fact this job sucks a**-but you know what-at least I have a job in this economy. So I will suck it up. For now

Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
If someone has a deadline that is coming or is on the end of the day, then that's all that person is going to be concerned about. That definitely makes it simple to not talk to other people or think the day went too quickly.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
I had a coworker that was like that. She worked 3rd shift and she spoke to us when she came in if we spoke to her first. But she sat at a desk with her back to everyone and didn't say a word to anyone. Was a very nice person if you engaged her in convo but she never initiated it.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times
Same here, I do it all the time for the same reason as those earlier. It's to stay out of the political office B.S., gossips, etc.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:16 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
My current job makes every 8 hour work day seem 14 hours long-all joking aside. I have had jobs where the day just flew by-this is not one of them.

As far as here- I TOTALLY understand how someone could go all day without talking to a single live human being. I noticed right away that the talkative employees here are all HEAVILY involved in a NASTY game of office politics. From day one I have decided to come in- go to my cubicle- do my job and leave. They may find me antisocial-but it keeps me out of the games.

Yes, I am bored, Yes, I get lonely-as a matter of fact this job sucks a**-but you know what-at least I have a job in this economy. So I will suck it up. For now
it certainly helps not get involved with the politics. im middle of the road, but work goes buy much faster, when you are working on something that keeps you busy and makes you think. it takes your focus away from the job. i used to work construction so your always moving and that definately helped the day go by. although most of the time there were plenty of people to talk to if need be. but now i work in a plant so half the time i have a job that just puts me through the motions and the day takes forever.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
That sounds like me. We own our own business and many days I am alone at the office with enough work for three full time people. There's no one to talk to and I like it that way as I get all my work done. I used to work for both the public and private sectors and there was just way too much chatter and gossip which is so counter productive not to mention the endless meetings.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
I work 3rd shift at a hotel. The best nights are the ones where not a single person comes in or calls on the phone!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
To me eight hours is a real long time. I am always at awe with people who come into work and at the end of the day say that they do not know where the time went and the day just flew by. In every office job I have had, the day seemed to last forever.

Another thing I do not understand is how people can come to work and sit at their desk all day and not talk to a single person for the entire day. At my employer most conversation with coworkers is online (email and instant message), so they can still be called a team player and not say a word verbally. I always wonder if these people ever get bored like me and want to reach out and talk to someone face to face, at least once in a while.

Can you go all day without talking to someone at work and not get bored, restless or lonely?
Yes. On a busy day, my job requires a lot of concentration. Focusing elsewhere will cause me to lose my place...so it's pretty easy for me to sit there all day long, and not speak a word to anyone. It's the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment