Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 03:53 AM

122 posts, read 382,176 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for jobs that require only a bachelors college degree but have relatively short work hours, something like 35 - 40 per week, and will still pay decently after several years of experience (around 60k).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times
I really hope you are kidding.

You need to figure out what you'd like to do and what you have an aptitude for.

And salaries vary windely in differet parts of the country, so your $60K in Alabama is probably worth $25K in southern California.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 AM

292 posts, read 892,787 times
HA! Good luck with this. Most employees coming out of this recession an any recession expect if not demand longer hours and greater productivity for less and less pay. THe only things that I can think of that is legal are commissioned sales. If you're very good at your job or establish a strong customer base you have the chance of earning alot with shorter hours.
What is your college degree in?

Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,221,287 times
how about you find something you enjoy doing and then working longer hours wouldn't be a big deal...

Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,487,715 times
Nursing. I know plenty of nurses working three 12's a week.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,186,417 times
I don't think it's too much to ask to find a job that doesn't take over your life, yet it pays enough that one can actually live off of it. Is this not possible in America anymore?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 AM

639 posts, read 1,074,130 times
There are actually a lot of jobs like this, but often they require a high skill level. For example, if you are a good computer programmer, there are a lot of positions like this. Actually I think the government in general won't ask more than 40 hrs a week, and effectively they work a lot less. They pay reasonably but not incredibly well if you have a college degree. So if you can move to the DC area this might be an option. Keep in mind that these low-hours jobs tend to be boring, and a lot of the reason they require so few hours is because it's too mind-numbing to stand for very long. Still, it's pretty low-stress and gives you a lot of free time if you value that.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,221,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I don't think it's too much to ask to find a job that doesn't take over your life, yet it pays enough that one can actually live off of it. Is this not possible in America anymore?
working more than 40 hours/week isn't "taking over your life".

You sleep 7 hours, work even 10, you still have 7 hours in a day to do whatever you want.

Whatever happened to taking pride in your work, and wanting to do something meaningful with your life?

All most people care about any more is how they can have the most fun/make the most money with the least amount of work...

very sad.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,315,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
working more than 40 hours/week isn't "taking over your life".

You sleep 7 hours, work even 10, you still have 7 hours in a day to do whatever you want.

Whatever happened to taking pride in your work, and wanting to do something meaningful with your life?

All most people care about any more is how they can have the most fun/make the most money with the least amount of work...

very sad.
I think that if you have a job that you enjoy, then it's a lot easier to devote more of your time to it. Unfortunately, with the massive amounts of off-shoring of "good" jobs, many people have been forced to work menial jobs with little or no room for meaningful advancement. I know you're in IT, a field that you obviously really enjoy. So, I think you can spend numerous hours at work enjoying what you're doing, perhaps even forgetting that you're at work. Others aren't so fortunate.

If we could all get into the fields that we wanted without worrying about greedy company owners shipping our jobs overseas, I think most people wouldn't mind spending a little extra time at work. I know I wouldn't mind putting in extra hours if I could actually get into a field that I enjoy.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:44 AM

536 posts, read 1,872,895 times
I think working 40 hours sucks. Anyone who has a family and is happy working even 40 hours, let alone more, must have some messed up priorities.

Say I work 40 and I am lucky enough to have a stay at home spouse. I still have to be up by 6:30 or 7 to have enough time to get ready, have breakfast, get to work by 8. Can't leave until 5, and am not home until 5:40. Between dinner, homework, baths, etc, I get very little time to spend with my son before he is in bed.

But that is not reality. I work 45 ish, but my wife works too. So I get up at 5:45, kid up by 6:30, out the door by 6:45 and to work by 7:30. If my wife takes him I can get to work by 7:15 unless I want to get up earlier..no way!! Home by 5:50, sometimes 6, so I have even less time for family. Should I let my 5 y/o tay up until 9 or 10? That will make for some happy kids in the morning let me tell you

Anyone who happily puts in even 40 is fooling themselves. I have had jobs that I absoultely loved. But nothing beats time at home with my family, or my free time for that matter.

I don't live to work, I work to pay my bills and have fun money. Don't even get me started on the lack of vacation time us Americans get.

To answer the OP there are jobs out there that you can make 60 at but you will probably be expected at some point to work over 40.

But at 60k you are probably expected to be at 45 hours. I am in engineering and 60k is reasonable for some career paths, but depending on the company you might have to work more. for free too! no overtime here. At least at this point in my career.

My wife makes good money and only puts in 40. She doesn't even have a degree, just 20 years xp. She is in marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment